Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep seeing people say that they don't like morphs but they like such and such because it occurs naturally... the vast majority of morphs occur naturally. Where do a lot of keepers think the original version came from? Magic?

Also what constitutes a 'boring wild-type' snake? Snake species vary a lot in colour and pattern from locality to locality in the WILD.

Yeah! I think the regular colored pilbs are way better then those ablino ones.

Keeping reptiles as pets will never contribute to conservation, they have nothing to do with each other. These captive reptiles will never ever be used to repopulate the wild. Inbreeding in reptiles also occurs a lot in the wild, especially in small populations. The people that say that morphs don't occur or are rare in the wild need to get out a bit more and actually see some wild reptiles! Stripes, reduced patterns, patternless, hypomelanism, hypermelanism, etc etc are all very common in the wild! Armchair herpers just don't know they exist because they can't drag themselves away from their reptile forums..

I like wild type animals so I personally don't care for all the shaky head jag, leatherback, super zebra snow axanthic blah blah crap but I also don't care if other people do it. Each to their own. Line breeding these reptiles is NO different to line breeding dogs, and every single domestic dog breed is line bred.. so if you own a domestic dog but think line breeding reptiles is wrong then you are a hypocrite. I don't get the blaming the Americans for this stuff either, we are just as bad for it so it seems of late...I see these beardies have now hit our shores and are being pumped out for the $$$.

that is why i own a dingo :D

I keep seeing people say that they don't like morphs but they like such and such because it occurs naturally... the vast majority of morphs occur naturally. Where do a lot of keepers think the original version came from? Magic?

Also what constitutes a 'boring wild-type' snake? Snake species vary a lot in colour and pattern from locality to locality in the WILD.

If it occurs naturally then fine. But I doubt you could find me a spikeless Beardy in the wild. Or a jet black Jungle carpet.

If a spikeless beardy has the potential to randomly pop up in someones captive breeding then it also has the potential to pop up in the wild, it may not survive, but it's not impossible. Jet black Jungles have been found in the wild.. it's called hypermelanism, an extreme case of it. The same has also appeared in other Morelia species..

I am in no way defending this type of designer breeding, like I've said I like my wild-type animals and my career is in the conservation of them, but I'm just trying to make people open their minds up a bit more to what is actually out there in the wild.. just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

Last edited:

natural morph's and man made morph's are very different such man made morph's would never naturally occur wildy inless there where a medling god around come on eventually all natural morph's get bred back into the system but that's at a slow pace what if a manmade escaped morph found it's way to the natural colony that could mean a doomed generation of Australian natives I mean looking at how fast other animal's become no more it's possible also on your note BORING lmao they have the same appearance just because they have exciting new colour's ...treasure aaaaaaw typical!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
That thing looks more like an alien than a beardy!
I guess there is always people out there trying to produce the new morph or whatever. If someone line bred a "Deep red" beardy morph and one of the hatchies was not up to scratch as being sold a "Deep red" it would be sold as a "Cherry red" or something. The naming and breeding of specific morphs is absolutely riddiculous!

I'm hoping the Aussie herp industry won't turn out like Americas.
They have so many morphs of leopard geckos. Have you ever seen one of those YouTube videos were this kid has these tiny tubs with paper as a substrate and he takes 30 minutes taking a run down of all his morphs? Double snake eyed, hyper snow and giant?.
Again this is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Out of interest is there any special license requirements to own a dingo? I think it may be illegal in Queensland.

I actually don't know it was given to me as a pup with 4 broken ribs and a broken paw because my mates dad accidentally hit it while 4x4 offroading. I still get those looks of disapproval when I take him to the dog park. lol

natural morph's and man made morph's are very different such man made morph's would never naturally occur wildy inless there where a medling god around come on eventually all natural morph's get bred back into the system but that's at a slow pace what if a manmade escaped morph found it's way to the natural colony that could mean a doomed generation of Australian natives I mean looking at how fast other animal's become no more it's possible also on your note BORING lmao they have the same appearance just because they have exciting new colour's ......treasure aaaaaaw typical!!!!!!!!!!

Please use some punctuation and learn to spell so I can actually understand what you are trying to say.

I would love to know what morphs DON'T occur in the wild (excluding jags)? One escaped captive animal does not mean a doomed generation of wild animals, it will be quickly absorbed back into the natural gene pool. You really need to learn about native reptile ecology before throwing random crap around that you obviously have no clue about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please use some punctuation and learn to spell so I can actually understand what you are trying to say.

I would love to know what morphs DON'T occur in the wild (excluding jags)? One escaped captive animal does not mean a doomed generation of wild animals, it will be quickly absorbed back into the natural gene pool. You really need to learn about native reptile ecology before throwing random crap around that you obviously have no clue about.

No need to be a jerk mate. Look at the animal at the start of this thread. THAT wouldn't happen in the wild. Poor thing looks like a cancer patient.

I actually don't know it was given to me as a pup with 4 broken ribs and a broken paw because my mates dad accidentally hit it while 4x4 offroading. I still get those looks of disapproval when I take him to the dog park. lol
I just looked and yes it is illegal to keep dingoes in Queensland and carries a $40000 dollar fine because they are considered a pest outside of protected areas. I am not looking up the rules in NSW because that is where you are from and I have nothing against you keeping it.

No need to be a jerk mate. Look at the animal at the start of this thread. THAT wouldn't happen in the wild. Poor thing looks like a cancer patient.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, just saying that people need to actually get a clue before arguing against something and throwing around untruthful statements like they are facts. I agree with you that the beardy that started this thread more than likely wouldn't happen in the wild, but it's not impossible for one to pop up with the lack of spikes or scaleless look, it wouldn't have been line bred to look like that one, but the basics are not impossible. My argument is more for the fact that most 'morphs' in captive reptiles also occur in the wild - possibly even in an even more advanced form for all we know?
As someone that works with wild reptiles I get sick of seeing people on forums saying "this can't occur in the wild", "that must be an escaped pet because it doesn't look like a wild type", etc when I've seen a lot of weird and different looking herps for myself out in the bush.

From what I understand of genetics and not just snakes, all these morphs naturally occur or have the potential to naturally occur. All we did was (by chance) breed two animals together and got something that appealed to us. We figured out what caused the "pretty" and attempted and successfully duplicated it. You cant tell me snakes, or any wild animal, dont inbreed because especially in small populations theres only so many females and neither of them care if they are related lol. Obviously breeders need to outcross and once again this occurs naturally. Not breeding something that appeals to us is just as silly as keeping animals that dont appeal to us, in my opinion. By the way if there werent breeders then we would only be able to buy wild caught which would drastically reduce our wild snakes which is clearly not a thing we want. I dont condone inbreeding to inexperienced or greedy breeders but to the ones who have a love for the reptiles and care for their welfare....they are providing the rest of us with our much loved pets.

Sent from my LG-P690f using Tapatalk 2

I'm not trying to be a jerk, just saying that people need to actually get a clue before arguing against something and throwing around untruthful statements like they are facts. I agree with you that the beardy that started this thread more than likely wouldn't happen in the wild, but it's not impossible for one to pop up with the lack of spikes or scaleless look, it wouldn't have been line bred to look like that one, but the basics are not impossible. My argument is more for the fact that most 'morphs' in captive reptiles also occur in the wild - possibly even in an even more advanced form for all we know?
As someone that works with wild reptiles I get sick of seeing people on forums saying "this can't occur in the wild", "that must be an escaped pet because it doesn't look like a wild type", etc when I've seen a lot of weird and different looking herps for myself out in the bush.
Have you done herping all around Australia or just in Queensland? Just out of interest and nothing meant by the question.

If you can't have an adult debate without the mudslinging and name calling, I will happily close the thread !

The beardie looks fine to me, just not really much like a beardie anymore.
But he looks healthy and has a bright colour.
As someone before me said, he is alert to his surroundings, he has clear eyes and looks clean. Personally I just think its a weird angle the picture was taken in.

Honestly I am not getting into the morph debate, yes I read every comment before me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back