Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizza212

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Looking at keeping a pair of Geckos :)

I love how they look and really want to keep one. What would be a good one to start with? I want something that is cheap and easy to maintain. What do you think would be a good species to keep? would prefer something that requires very little maintenance and not a great deal of space. Would love to throw them in one of those little exo-terra enclosures and have a great spot for them :D

Opinions? suggestions? advice?

Dizza

maybe have a look at marbled geckos they are pretty hardy and dont need heating correct me if im wrong

What nilesh said.
What's also great about them is that they can be kept with multiple males as try are not too aggressive.

amyae are my faves, very easy to care for and absolutely stunning!!

Ok, i had looked at Bynoes and they look very easy to keep however they are also pretty boring looking compared to some of the others here. Ill put together a list of what requirements i need them to meet.

- be able to keep 2+ in a 50x50x50 enclosure with rock wall background
- require simple heating
- not too expensive to initially purchase
- at least a little interesting :lol:
- easy to maintain (no tendency to get sick easily, no need to keep substrate damp etc.)
- maybe something from a desert environment? (i plan on growing a couple small native grasses inside the enclosure)

Its a display enclosure in a living area. Im aware that most geckos are nocturnal but the aim is to have it looking good and the geckos being a bonus ;)
Would another reptile better suit my needs? (no snakes...my girlfriend would probably try and feed me to it)

Dizza

amyae are my faves, very easy to care for and absolutely stunning!!
I wouldn't recommend Amyae as a beginners gecko. I have had more issues with keeping them than my levis'. They are fight or fright type of geckos and can therefore get stressed out more. They can be tricky feeders too. Plus I kept an amyae that was particularly aggressive and I suspect it had mental issue (although I haven't kept enough to know if its in their nature to be that way).

Smooth Knob-tailed Geckos are easy to keep and they are semi-arid species so can last longer without the need for food/water. They require a small amount of space (30cmx30cm), a temperature gradient from room temp to around 31 celcius at the hot side and preferably no UV bulbs. A couple of hides give them security and red desert sand at their toes. Their hides should be sprayed with water on the cool side once or twice a week and they eat crickets, roaches and the occasional mealworm dusted with D3 supplement.

Ok, i had looked at Bynoes and they look very easy to keep however they are also pretty boring looking compared to some of the others here. Ill put together a list of what requirements i need them to meet.
- be able to keep 2+ in a 50x50x50 enclosure with rock wall background
- require simple heating
- not too expensive to initially purchase
- at least a little interesting :lol:
- easy to maintain (no tendency to get sick easily, no need to keep substrate damp etc.)
- maybe something from a desert environment? (i plan on growing a couple small native grasses inside the enclosure)

Its a display enclosure in a living area. Im aware that most geckos are nocturnal but the aim is to have it looking good and the geckos being a bonus ;)
Would another reptile better suit my needs? (no snakes...my girlfriend would probably try and feed me to it)

Dizza

= Smooth Knob Tailed Gecko (N. levis)
:D

interesting that youve had problems with aggression, i keep mine (47 last count) in single sex groups of 5-10, none are skittish, all will calmly sit on my hand for a drink, and ive never had a problem feeder. They were my first which is why i didnt hesitate to recommend them as a first.

I wouldn't recommend Amyae as a beginners gecko. I have had more issues with keeping them than my levis'. They are fight or fright type of geckos and can therefore get stressed out more. They can be tricky feeders too. Plus I kept an amyae that was particularly aggressive and I suspect it had mental issue (although I haven't kept enough to know if its in their nature to be that way).

...Mate, thread Hijacking is very much frowned upon universally in forums. Start your own thread or a WTB thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
since your enclosure is 50x50x50 i would suggest some sort of velvet gecko such as northerns velvet geckos or spotted velvet geckos they are generally cheap can be kept in pairs or colonies and would use the space of the enclosure better height wise

or maybe something along the lines of a pair of broad tailed geckos

hmmm alright. I'm considering getting an enclosure that is quite a bit smaller.

Probably one of the 30x30x45 (LxWxH) Exo Terra enclosures.

Would love perhaps a pair of knobtails or similar. Any idea what i would be looking at for a pair?

you would probably be looking around $250 for a pair, it depends if you buy them at a petshop or a breeder.

Im going to try and steer away from pet shops.
In my experience they never know quite enough about the animals in their care and as a result they tend to not be in the greatest condition

Dizza

if you plan to just keep a pair of knob tails an exo-terra enclosure is expensive and has no point being 45cm high for a species that does not climb its just wasted space and would be better to give them more floor space.

you could pay $50 or less for a 2ft fish tank thats new or get a second hand one for about $20

yea i live right near a proper reptile shop, so im lucky as all there reptiles are quality and well cared for

...How about you both get a subscription and post WTB ads?

Last edited by a moderator:
you would probably be looking around $250 for a pair, it depends if you buy them at a petshop or a breeder.
As far as I know pet shops aren't allowed to sell them in NSW (unless these recent talks have come into affect already). If your buying from one of the Vic shops, their prices I have found to be steep. jamesrXD (this forum) has a female for sale in Newcastle if your interested. I am also happy to let go of my male too.

if you plan to just keep a pair of knob tails an exo-terra enclosure is expensive and has no point being 45cm high for a species that does not climb its just wasted space and would be better to give them more floor space.

you could pay $50 or less for a 2ft fish tank thats new or get a second hand one for about $20

I will keep the height in mind BK. The main reason i am opting for an Exo - Terra at this point is because it looks good :lol:
This enclosure will be a display enclosure in a living area my house. I live with my parents (studying at university) and the only way this will be allowed (they do own the house) is if it looks attractive. The Exo Terra's have been approved and therefore i am going to stick with them for the moment. I already own one and it is a high quality product so im not too fussed about spending more.

yea i live right near a proper reptile shop, so im lucky as all there reptiles are quality and well cared for

Unfortunately those near me are not so great :(

How about you both get a subscription and post WTB ads?

Because i am a student that barely scrapes by as is and $50 dollars to post 1 WTB ad is a little much. I would probably never post anything else in those restricted areas so it really isn't worthwhile.

As far as I know pet shops aren't allowed to sell them in NSW (unless these recent talks have come into affect already). If your buying from one of the Vic shops, their prices I have found to be steep. jamesrXD (this forum) has a female for sale in Newcastle if your interested. I am also happy to let go of my male too.

I shall keep that in mind. Thank you.

i live in sa and just assumed they were allowed to sell them in Victoria, if you ever come to adelaide be sure to visit reptile city dizza212, they are great and have a pretty wide range of reptiles and accessories!

i live in sa and just assumed they were allowed to sell them in Victoria, if you ever come to adelaide be sure to visit reptile city dizza212, they are great and have a pretty wide range of reptiles and accessories!

You are allowed to sell them as far as i know, they are never kept in the greatest condition.
Im actually from Adelaide and visit family regularly, Ill have to drop in and have a look.

Given the rate at which you keep changing your mind, I would suggest lengthier deliberation on your personal likes, followed by some research, is more likely to result in a suitable choice that you will be happy with in the long term.

Check out care sheets and other treads on geckos. If you are still keen, I would recommend you invest $25 on a copy of “Keeping Australian Geckos” by Rob Porter; if genuinely serious, a copy of “A Guide to Australian Geckoes and Pygopods in Captivity” by Dr. Danny Brown (vet) for $75. The outlay for either is not huge and it will pay for itself many times over in the course of keeping.

Do not bother trying to grow live grasses. It is clear that you don’t have any idea of what is involved or you would not be mentioning arid and live plant. Nor would you trying to grow grasses indoors, let alone in an enclosure. However, dried real grasses, such as a small spinifex or tussock grass clump, are just what these plants look like in nature during the dry and make really effective looking authentic landscaping elements.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back