Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spud_meister

Reaction score
For my next reptile purchase, I'm thinking of getting an Eastern Water Skink and a Perons Tree Frog, and having them live together in a very large fish tank, that includes a small fish pond and lots of plants. I'm think that I'd need to get a 4ft aquarium, have the first foot as a pool area with some feeder fish, then the rest as habitat with lots of ground shelter and branches.

Would those two species live together well?

What sort of maintenance would a set-up like that require?

Any other advice or warnings?

First thing I'd think is that it depends on size. An adult Peron's might be able to eat a young EWS, although I'm not entirely sure as I've never owned a Peron's and frankly I don't know exactly how big they get.

I guess they both occupy different areas of the tank so it might, but why risk it? If you've got the room for a 4ft tank why not just buy two 2ft tanks and give them one each? You could get a few Peron's into a 2ft tank.

I can't see why these two species couldn't cohabit within a large terrarium. After all, they are sympatric in the wild and I doubt that adults of these species prey upon each other. What age/size are you thinking of getting?
Experimentation should be encouraged in herpetoculture and as long as you approach these ideas with common sense I can't see why you shouldn't give it a try. If you decide to go ahead with this, I'd be interested to hear how it went.

First thing I'd think is that it depends on size. An adult Peron's might be able to eat a young EWS, although I'm not entirely sure as I've never owned a Peron's and frankly I don't know exactly how big they get.

I guess they both occupy different areas of the tank so it might, but why risk it? If you've got the room for a 4ft tank why not just buy two 2ft tanks and give them one each? You could get a few Peron's into a 2ft tank.

The Perons are only little frogs, about 5cm or so in length, which I hope is too big for the EWS to decide to eat. I'd like to risk it because I think it would look nice.

I can't see why these two species couldn't cohabit within a large terrarium. After all, they are sympatric in the wild and I doubt that adults of these species prey upon each other. What age/size are you thinking of getting?

I want adults, or near-adults. Easier to feed and hardier if problems do occur.
Experimentation should be encouraged in herpetoculture and as long as you approach these ideas with common sense I can't see why you shouldn't give it a try. If you decide to go ahead with this, I'd be interested to hear how it went.

That's why I started this thread, so I could get as much info about it before I did it. I'll definitely post about it if I get it set up.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else cohabits different species.

I doubt you will ever see your Perons during the day anyway, they are nocturnal and push themselves into little crevices until the darkness comes. Probably not worth the risk for an animal you'll never see.

Yeah I've got a Perons & is a very shy species. Being nocturnal too, you'll have to feed it separately at night...then whether it will actively hunt the crickets knowing there's a sleeping ewd in the same enclosure could be a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back