Frogs for beginners

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyl3r

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I am looking to extend my collection and want to get some frogs.
My questions are:
1. What frogs are good for beginners?

2. Will they go in a 30cm x 30cm x 45cm exo terra enclosure? If not, which size exo-terra enclosure will I need? (I want to stick with exo-terra if I can as they look good).

3. Does anyone keep there frogs in this size enclosure?

4. How do you filter the water?

5. What substrate should I use?

6. Can anyone post some photos of there set-ups?

7. I have heard that some frogs don't need UV? If so, do the species you a recommending need it?

8. Does the water need heating?

The rest I can research myself (unless there is some conflicting info on the subject).

Thanks,
Tyler

Brown tree frog or spotted marsh frog-
I have used coco peat, sphagnum moss and coco peat with these guys.
I used uv but not sure if it is something that is a must have.
I didn't heat the water as the tank got around 25 deg.

Good luck, will get a setup pic soon.

be5e6ery.jpg

1. Southern brown tree frogs
2. Yeah
3. I keep 1 in that size.
4. I dont I have a small water bowl and change the water daily. They aren't really big on swimming.
5. Coco peat
7. No, they don't need UV
8. No, no heating.

1. Southern brown tree frogs
2. Yeah
3. I keep 1 in that size.
4. I dont I have a small water bowl and change the water daily. They aren't really big on swimming.
5. Coco peat
7. No, they don't need UV
8. No, no heating.

Thank you for your advice! Could you post a pic of your set-up please? How big do they grow? How big does the water bowl have to be?

nickg, thanks for you advice.

Thanks,
Tyler

Yes and the spotted marsh frog doesn't climb. You can use a dish of water for them but they are sensitive to water quality.

I have 6 spotted marsh frogs in a 3ft aquarium, half water half land. They mostly just hang out in the shallow water an this is where i have placed their hides.

Rick

I was going to keep 1-2 Spotted Marsh Frogs in an Exo-Terra 12" x 12" x 18" (30cm x 30cm x 45cm) with moist coco peat with a large Exo-Terra Water Dish (210mm Long 170mm Wide 70mm High (< copied straight from the amazing amazon website)..) with plenty of fake plants (hanging on the wall for hiding spots, will also provide plants on the ground). Will this set-up be ok?

Last edited:
Frogs for beginners... My first frog was a 1970's rubber Kermit the frog. It had wire in the arms and legs to make different poses. Sadly the wire was its undoing and it ended up poking out of the arms and legs.... Oh how I loved the smell of that frog. Great first frog :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Frogs for beginners... My first frog was a 1970's rubber Kermit the frog. It had wire in the arms and legs to make different poses. Sadly the wire was its undoing and it ended up poking out of the arms and legs.... Oh how I loved the smell of that frog. Great first frog :)

I couldn't agree more with you Snowman.. Sorry for your loss.. Would have been devastating! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back