Frogs for beginners

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its pretty hard to keep plants alive in any kind of terrarium.

Have you even tried?

I have a maidenhair fern in with my spotted marsh frogs and a peace lily an calathea with my red eyed tree frogs, these plants are thriving.

Most indoor plants go fine in frog vivariums.

Rick

Yes, without much success now I go with plastic foliage. the plants end up withering due to lack of light, trampling or dampness.

Thank you KristenJ. Nice set up! Have you got any new pics?
This is what my two brown tree frogs will go in soon (just trying to get the moss to grow over first).

tankmoss1.jpg
And this is what theyre in now (same dimensions as you asked about)
btftank.jpg
I'll take a picture of my marsh frogs tank later but its 50/50 water/land. Sand, filter, driftwood, pebbles, bamboo and a few hides. It's nothing special haha.

Do the spotted marsh frogs spend a lot of time in the water or will a large exo terra dish be ok?

Mine spend about 90% of their time in the water, the other 10% is when its feeding time.

Rick

Will the large exo terra dish be ok then? They don't grow too big do they ?

Around 5cm roughly. A water dish should be fine but im not sure if it is best or not, mine have always been in a half/half tank.

These frogs are well suited to ponds and dams due to their love of water, they just float an croak their heads off.

Rick

What is a paludarium setup? Never heard of it..?

Edit: Never mind, I forgot about google images :/ lol.. Would they be suitable for that kind of set up though? How would I set up a land area?

I am only 16 so my wallet isn't that big lol

yhuvesep.jpg

This is shaping up to be a $500+ project for some frogs.

Rick

:O once I finish school (next year) I will start making some really nice looking enclosure as I have the money. At the moment though, I am a casual at maccas haha!! So I can still afford the animals :) but just can't make the enclosures look the nicest (but still looking ok with the money I have, after all, I am not going to buy something I can't look after).

This is shaping up to be a $500+ project for some frogs.

Rick

I did something similar to Rick.

tankshow.jpg

:O once I finish school (next year) I will start making some really nice looking enclosure as I have the money. At the moment though, I am a casual at maccas haha!! So I can still afford the animals :) but just can't make the enclosures look the nicest (but still looking ok with the money I have, after all, I am not going to buy something I can't look after).

Honestly though if you get a cheap fish tank, you could make a background for about $30. Its mostly the tank and the plants (and for some frogs, heating and UV) that break the budget :)

I read you don't need heating or UV (unless growing plants) with spotted marsh frogs?

Dont need uv to grow plants, people just assume you do. Hydro growers dont use UV. You just need a 6500k fluro or led.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back