Security Camera advice...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slim6y

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Hi guys...

I've moved rural lately and have been getting both animal and human encounters on my property. I do have a fenced drive to my house, which means anyone entering this area could be surveyed by a camera.

I basically live on 40 acres of paddocks but the drive is narrow and restrictive so anyone walking to the house would easily be spotted by a camera (ie if they tampered with my car, property etc).

I could set up an indoor camera - as my dining room windows face the entrance to the house. But what I'd like is one that works only on motion and records to a SD card (or equivalent). I'd prefer it to be able to pick up at night as well - though that wouldn't be essential. Do any of you know of a model camera that is around the $100 mark that fits this purpose?

I've had a look at Dick Smith and they do have some, but not as convinced they're any good. And Jaycar seemed to just have real pro-set ups.

Also - how are they powered? Battery? Plug in? Solar?

I know a lot of you have set up surveillance in the past - but doing it on a tight budget and only needing one camera - your advice please :)

If you're happy with it recording straight to a computer, you can set webcams to record when motion is detected.

I have no clue if they'd be in your price range but have you looked at trail cams? They're specifically made to only record movement and usually at night

Yeah, I am expecting a lot for $100 - and using the computer is my main option - it's just a pain that's all. But I think the webcam/laptop idea is my best I have :(

My mum has a few security cameras in and out through the house, they're are fairly expeensive but they were worth it, there are 2 types of it, an indoor one and outdoor, the outdoor one has night vision and will detect anything that moves and you can set an alarm on it. It will go off when it detects movment, the indoor one does the same but doesn't have night vision. The brand of them are Logitech alert 700 you can buy them from Jb and im pretty sure Dicksmith. You can also download an app to your phone so you can veiw the cameras while your out on holiday or at a friends places, they do have a SD slot for it that you can download the videos to your computer but for the app to work on your phone you need internet and a selected password to access it, its defenitly worth looking into even going on youtube to veiw the videos people have put up to show how they work.

Last edited:
Simple IP Camera .. Water Proog and Wi-Fi.. Can be used with an iPhone remotely. $68
Cam-Cool Cam. Infrared, TopBuy had then and a few others.

For night vision you need to spend a lot of money for a decent one and you usually will need extra IR lights to light the area you want to record.

I've purchased 3 cameras at Jay-Car all 3 went back they were from 60 to 160 but one did do an ok job but it was also the most expensive. The only way I could get it to work better was to purchase a big IR light to light the area.

Try those cameras you strap to trees not sure what there called.

The ones that I suggested, the night vision is good, as we could see our brown cat on a chair roughfly about 4-5 metors away and we could see him just about clearly in pitch black, as for distence further away it really depends where you position it

Better idea: if you don't want to get actual dogs, get a motion-triggered device that plays a realistic sound clip of a pack of angry dogs. That should get anyone off your property quick smart. :)

Better idea: if you don't want to get actual dogs, get a motion-triggered device that plays a realistic sound clip of a pack of angry dogs. That should get anyone off your property quick smart. :)

I have dogs - they're not the issue here. No one is coming into the house. I just want to see who's around and if they're doing anything.

A point you may not have considered - recording through a window can cause issues with reflection. Ive been down the road of cheap security cameras and it was a waste of time, grainy footage. Just bought a 4 camerahi-resolution swann setup and it ticks all the boxes. Additionally has all the bells and whistles to boot if your into remote viewing, motion detection etc. I did buy a hunting/trail camera earlier this year (ltl acorn 12mp) and for daytime security it sounds like it might be what your after. The only issue I have with it is as light drops and darkness starts there is a short period where there is insufficient ambient light and not dark enough to benefit from the infra red resulting in poor quality for this period. Checkout Chasingame.com: Scouting Camera Reviews | Performance Reviews | Trail Camera Models compared | Sample Pictures and Movies for reviews of trail cameras, appears to give unbiased reviews and also takes sample shots/videos.

Hi guys...

I've moved rural lately and have been getting both animal and human encounters on my property. I do have a fenced drive to my house, which means anyone entering this area could be surveyed by a camera.

I basically live on 40 acres of paddocks but the drive is narrow and restrictive so anyone walking to the house would easily be spotted by a camera (ie if they tampered with my car, property etc).

I could set up an indoor camera - as my dining room windows face the entrance to the house. But what I'd like is one that works only on motion and records to a SD card (or equivalent). I'd prefer it to be able to pick up at night as well - though that wouldn't be essential. Do any of you know of a model camera that is around the $100 mark that fits this purpose?

I've had a look at Dick Smith and they do have some, but not as convinced they're any good. And Jaycar seemed to just have real pro-set ups.

Also - how are they powered? Battery? Plug in? Solar?

I know a lot of you have set up surveillance in the past - but doing it on a tight budget and only needing one camera - your advice please :)

See, it seems like you are residing in an area where most of the times the people or the animals are moving around, so in that case you can go for a good HD camera's that you can get from ebay about $100 easily, but if talking about me then I'm currently using a motion sensor lighting for the outdoor area but not for the indoor.
I hope it would help you :)

I would go with one of the night vision game cameras set up high on a tree viewing the driveway. Most park agencies use these on closed trails to catch 4wders illegally gaining access. It would be most suitable for your use.

Try Swann security products. My mate bought one of their full systems for $500 and it is great. It is motion sensitive and records of a DVR , he can also dial into the system from his phone and view any of the cameras.

Best idea yet... Do you need to feed them ?
Geese have been protecting Ballantine's bonded warehouses near Glasgow, Scotland, since 1959. They guard 240 million litres of maturing whiskey, keep the grounds weed-free and the grass clipped. Geese with their exceptional eyesight and wide field of vision, combined with their strident voices, make excellent guards against approaching strangers or predators since outsiders cannot calm them into silence.In Europe, they are used to guard whiskey warehouses and sensitive military installations.

Try Swann security products. My mate bought one of their full systems for $500 and it is great. It is motion sensitive and records of a DVR , he can also dial into the system from his phone and view any of the cameras.

yeah I have a swann cctv setup in the house . I have a wansview wireless camera in the lace enclosure , full pan and tilt was like $130 . had sd card slot too .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back