Newbie here! What species of lizard should I keep?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Azaliaa

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am completely new to keeping reptiles... well I will be when I get to the keeping part. Currently I have a couple of fish tanks, one of which I am hoping to sell the fishies and convert to a lizard tank. It is 2ft long and a taller tank. Its dimensions look alot like this picture although without the hood as my tank just has two sheets of glass on top with a thinner removable strip-light -

images

I believe I would have to buy (if thats possible) or make a sort of mesh hood instead of the glass sheets.

The first thing I've been trying to research is what species of lizard are available to me. I live on the Central Coast in NSW. I particularly like the look of geckos and I think I could house one or two max in my tank. I read on one of the way-too-many sites I looked at that most geckos don't like high environments so I'm worried my tank isn't suitable? Is this enough ground space? Preferrably I would like a breed of gecko that would like to climb a little bit as I intend on setting up the tank with some taller plants/objects if I can.

Originally I fell in love with the knob-tailed gecko but would they rather sit on the sand all night/day and not use much else? Any other suggestions, even if not geckos? Though beautiful patterns are a favourite with me :)

Another question I've been pondering - do all geckos dislike lighting? Is there a way to get lighting on the tank but not disturb the lizards?

Thankyou so much :) it's great that we have this forum and I'm even more excited about the sales area for when I get everything organised!

- Anna

2ft long is a bit short for an adult beardie or bluetongue, might be OK for a mid sized skink (like a Golden (Water) Skink (very beautiful looking , and inquisitive and lively lizards).

I think some geckos are daytime lizards , they'd be worth considering .

How about two or three leaf tailed geckoes
they dont have much colour but i reckon the look like a black/grey/green crested gecko

like bd keeper said get leaf tails, they are pretty awesome and would do great in that enclosure,

Could go a blue tongue but you'd have to upgrade in size as it grows. That's ok though, then you can use that enclosure for some geckos. And by that time you'll have more experience and confidence and I'm betting you'll want to expand your collection. It's a difficult interest to keep in line haha.

Don't over look velvet geckos just have a good tight mesh lid or they could escape
All they need is heat food water and calcium and they breed like rabbits.

mountain dragons are also a good option for a 2ft tank and a new keeper they are small colourful very active and fun to watch

I think you'd be wasting the height with thick tails or other terrestrial geckos, as such I don't think you can go past some O. Marmorata (velvet geckos) or the golden tailed gecko. I've heard and read the the golden tailed prefer to sit out in the open on branches relying on camouflage, so they're a pretty visual species.

Pics aren't mine.

apa6yzan.jpg

sabahare.jpg

As a " complete newbie " I would recommend a young central bearded dragon ( yes you will need to upgrade the enclosure in 18 months or so ) . My way of thinking is that they are a good handling lizard, Diurnal and generally easy to maintain . Once your lizard has outgrown the enclosure you will be wanting MORE and you will have more confidence and knowledge and move on to maybe other lizards like gecko's .

I agree I think you should get a young beardy you will have to upgrade but that will take about a year and a half and you could get a dwarf beardy they can grow up to about 30 cm

I agree I think you should get a young beardy you will have to upgrade but that will take about a year and a half and you could get a dwarf beardy they can grow up to about 30 cm

As a " complete newbie " I would recommend a young central bearded dragon ( yes you will need to upgrade the enclosure in 18 months or so ) . My way of thinking is that they are a good handling lizard, Diurnal and generally easy to maintain . Once your lizard has outgrown the enclosure you will be wanting MORE and you will have more confidence and knowledge and move on to maybe other lizards like gecko's .

A central bearded dragon will outgrow a 2ft enclosure in less then 8 months. Mine was in a 3ft aquarium for 4 months before upgrading to a 4ft melamine enclosure. They are not a slow growth species unless under fed.

Rick

A central bearded dragon will outgrow a 2ft enclosure in less then 8 months. Mine was in a 3ft aquarium for 4 months before upgrading to a 4ft melamine enclosure. They are not a slow growth species unless under fed.

Rick
ours must be a dwarf then:) - I have not checked the NSW COP , for exact dimensions though -as they are not yet regulation

an eastern hooded scalyfoot they are cooly cool very easy to keep
but hard to get hold of...

an eastern hooded scalyfoot they are cooly cool very easy to keep
but hard to get hold of...

I think that's a bit small for a scaly-foot, but I know of at least 2 breeders on here that have scaley-foots (feet).

Last edited:
I think you'd be wasting the height with thick tails or other terrestrial geckos, as such I don't think you can go past some O. Marmorata (velvet geckos) or the golden tailed gecko. I've heard and read the the golden tailed prefer to sit out in the open on branches relying on camouflage, so they're a pretty visual species.

Pics aren't mine.

apa6yzan.jpg

sabahare.jpg

As said these species look great an would do well in a 2ft enclosure. Made a fake background (just back wall or 3 sides) an decorate it how you see fit. Can go past some awesome looking geckos.

Rick

Wow thankyou all for the suggestions! Keep any advice coming if there's still more XD love it! I'm getting all excited just reading. I have a feeling that getting into reptiles is going to be a bit dangerous for me haha I've been into fish keeping since I was 15 and that was hard enough to keep in hand. I'm 27 now and it's time to try something different :)

Now this statement seems the most dangerous! "All they need is heat food water and calcium and they breed like rabbits." Whilst I wouldn't want to jump into breeding geckos, it was definitely the most exciting part about keeping fish for me.

Those geckos look absolutely gorgeous MathewB! Are they hard to get ahold of? I suppose when Im ready I'll just trawl the net and hope/wait for what I decide on.

The leaf-tails I've looked at seem pretty interesting too. I think I did read something that said they climb, which I'm guessing is why they are suggested :)

I would be worried about keeping anything that might outgrow this tank at the moment. Only because I don't own my own home and renting at the moment, plus its the time in life I might just up and leave to somewhere else in Australia, so I don't like getting too big. Keeping it easily portable is best. Thinking about whats been said here and in the forums I think getting something easier to handle like a beardie or blue tongue in a big enclosure could be something to look forward to when I know I'm settled for good :) I just wont tell my partner that idea yet...

Does anybody here own geckos that don't mind some lighting? I'm just thinking that it can be a bit dark where I have my tank currently (but it's the only place for air con in summer) so it'd be nice to be able to spot them once in a while ha.

Thanks again all! Going to go read up on these great suggestions!

Hahaha the eastern hooded scalyfoot threw me for a bit when I put it into google images.. till I read a fact sheet XD thought I was looking at a snake. How awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back