New member from the US

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NancyA

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am here to get good information from those in the know. I have a Blue Tongue Skink named Precious. I know silly name but the first time I saw him I thought he was just precious. He was in a chain pet store being fed a horrid diet of cat food and grapes. Over the course of a couple of months I watched him get thinner and thinner. People were afraid of him because of his size and being "unusual" here at the time. I talked the store manager into lowering the price and took him home. He was loaded with mites and parasites taken care of by the vet. After a couple of years of trying I finally got him on a somewhat better diet, not the best but better. He eats his veggies wonderfully now along with chicken and turkey. Precious has lived with me now for 11 years. I posted in the General Reptile Discussion the issue he is going through now. I'm afraid I may be losing him and came to folks who know and have had these animals so much longer. The vets are estimating Precious to be at least 16 years or more. This not common in the states to see. I'm hoping that some of you good folks can give us some pointers to try to save my guy.
I was not new to reptiles when I got him. At the time I was a zoo keeper working with an assortment or herps and also have had igs and beardies as pets.

welcome Nancy , Your love of our animals has already bridged the pacific but just beware that as with all modern civilizations there are haters ( generally that don't understand or are jealous ) of "outsiders ". Most of your fellow country people don't put their locations on their signature page . Some I chat with use a flame retardant suit and a big dose of sarcasm and we all get along just fine .

I don't keep blues -- but have many living in my yard and can recognise the big momma from her lack of toes / leg , she was seen in the yard 17 years ago when I had renovations done and the builders wanted to put a shovel through her . I have seen young every year since , so yes they do live a good long life .

Thank you for the welcome and Yikes on the location. I guess I'm not sure why people hide where they are from. I've been in love with your wildlife my entire life(a long one), am envious of all of you who are able to go out your front doors to see these magnificent creatures. I'm also a lover of your avian world with a Little Corella living with me. Cassie is an 8 year old hen and the light of mine and my husbands life.I'm a moderator on the cockatoo board Mytoos.com where we are constantly fighting for the end of breeding of all toos. The US has turned into a breeding mill for parrots. Our shelters are all over flowing. People look at these birds and think how cute and cuddly impulse buy only to turn it over or sell it after the first couple of years. As soon as the hormones kick in and they see what an adult too is all about they bail and run. Sorry I've gone off on a tangent. Anyways I'm hoping that people will forgive me my acestory and accept me for the Aussie lover that I am.

Welcome Nancy and kudos to you for your persistence in trying to help the Bluey. All the very best and I hope you receive the advice you are seeking.
Cheers. Phil.

Welcome to the Forum Nancy nice to have you join us. Boston is a beautiful city I have fond memories of there. This notion of members hiding where they are from is all news to me but what do I know I am only part of the Moderator team:).

Kindest regards

Endeavour

Thank you, and love your avatar! I actually live just out side of Boston. Did you vacation there or live there? It's an interesting city but a nightmare for visitors to navigate the streets.

Welcome Nancy. Hope you can get some help. I was a big breeder of parrots at one time. I noticed when I was in the US how certain stores had help sheets but were doing the opposite on their care. Bad shedding was rife.

Welcome to the forum Nancy! It is always great to see people from overseas take intrest in our Aussie wildlife :D

Welcome Nancy. Hope you can get some help. I was a big breeder of parrots at one time. I noticed when I was in the US how certain stores had help sheets but were doing the opposite on their care. Bad shedding was rife.
It is a big problem here in the US the pet stores sell giving wrong care information and to people not equipped to supply the care needed and the animals end up in rescues by the hundreds. If they can't get their animals sold or into shelters they release them. We have feral populations of parrots and reptiles around the country.
Thank you for the welcomes.

Welcome Nancy =) I am of no help but just wanted to wish you well in the search for answers =)

Thank you, and love your avatar! I actually live just out side of Boston. Did you vacation there or live there? It's an interesting city but a nightmare for visitors to navigate the streets.

It was just a holiday Nancy.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

Welcome to the forums Nancy. There's a vast amount of very knowledgeable people on this forum. Not to many of us Americans last long on this forum for one reason or another.:) Just don't take things personal and you will have a good time here.

Regards, Patrick

Thank you for the welcome Patrick. I'm pretty thick skinned so most things will slip right off. I'm excited to be here and learn. I've been spending a little time reading some of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back