[GRAPHIC] In hospital. Dog bite

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellannn

Reaction score
Currently in hospital right now.
Surrounded by 3 other people snoring their heads off in my room so needless to say I am having trouble sleeping lol!

I got bitten by my dog today on my thigh trying to break up a fight between him and a stray dog whilst i was taking him for a walk.

I have to have surgery tomorrow.

Funnily enough at the time it didn't really hurt lol. Getting tagged by one of my 6ft pythons hurts more in my opinion.

I have learnt my lesson to not try and break up a fight between dogs single handedly or without a weapon of some sort now.

Oh well. Wish me luck for my surgery tomorrow.

eby8avat.jpg
4a7uneme.jpg

Yeowch, I've always been told to lift their back legs as high as you can to make them release

That is one nasty puncture wound. I do wish you luck for the surgery and also hope it heals quickly with no complications.

I think I would look at carrying one of the personal protection sprays, like Mace or pepper spray, rather than a stick. And you have it there for personal protection if you are out on the town - after the thigh heals sufficiently to dance of course. Lol.

Wishing you well,
Blue

Wow that doesn't look good at all. I hope that you get some sleep and recover from the surgery.

Very nasty bite there mate, hope surgery goes well for you.... Having been involved in canine training for law enforcement, I must say that hitting a dog with a weapon (stick or club etc) is an exercise in futility... Dogs don't really react to a blunt pain response the way you and i would... You would be more effective with a sharpened pain motivator, pinch collar / prong collar or perhaps, electro shock collar etc...(sounds hard but a pinch of skin will go straight to pain receptors in the brain and will get the desired reaction quicker and with less damage overall)... A blunt strike with a club or stick has been well documented to cause the dog to turn on you (as will lifting the back legs, this is an old wives tale which is proven to be incorrect... It will cause the dog to thrash about and is harder to control....). Never try to pick up or restrain fighting dogs, as you may prevent your dog from protecting itself effectively, causing more damage to your dog. Pepper spray is illegal in all states of Australia (on the prohibited weapons list) however, mouth freshener is not illegal, and sprayed in the face of a dog or eyes of a mugger, rapist etc has exactly the same effect and is able to be carried freely by women everywhere.... I hope no damage was sustained to your dog, and I wish you a speedy recovery....

*** my opinion only, based on 10 years experience in law enforcement, K-9 training for the security industry etc.... Not claiming to be an expert, just my personal experiences and observation*******

Battle Scars!!!! :D ;)

Good luck and hope your leg feels better soon! xx

Now that looks painful,I hope you make a speedy recovery.:)

Very nasty bite there mate, hope surgery goes well for you.... Having been involved in canine training for law enforcement, I must say that hitting a dog with a weapon (stick or club etc) is an exercise in futility... Dogs don't really react to a blunt pain response the way you and i would... You would be more effective with a sharpened pain motivator, pinch collar / prong collar or perhaps, electro shock collar etc...(sounds hard but a pinch of skin will go straight to pain receptors in the brain and will get the desired reaction quicker and with less damage overall)... A blunt strike with a club or stick has been well documented to cause the dog to turn on you (as will lifting the back legs, this is an old wives tale which is proven to be incorrect... It will cause the dog to thrash about and is harder to control....). Never try to pick up or restrain fighting dogs, as you may prevent your dog from protecting itself effectively, causing more damage to your dog. Pepper spray is illegal in all states of Australia (on the prohibited weapons list) however, mouth freshener is not illegal, and sprayed in the face of a dog or eyes of a mugger, rapist etc has exactly the same effect and is able to be carried freely by women everywhere.... I hope no damage was sustained to your dog, and I wish you a speedy recovery....

*** my opinion only, based on 10 years experience in law enforcement, K-9 training for the security industry etc.... Not claiming to be an expert, just my personal experiences and observation*******
Very good post there mate but if two dogs are fighting and one is a stray dog you will have no luck with zap collars or pinch collars as your dog may stop but the other is likely to keep attacking because he thinks he is the dominant dog now the other is backing away. Hope your surgery went well today Ellannn and I hope you don't get much of a scar. Forgot to ask how is your dog?

Very true mate and you're absolutely right there.... my main train of thought whilst posting was from where the OP wrote something along the lines of "I got bitten by my dog while trying to break up a fight with him and a stray dog.... Her own dog bit her because she was trying to stop him from fighting.... While the ability to stop the other dog is not going to happen with the compliance devices, her ability to control her dog in that situation was my initial reason for most info, then I went off on that train of thought (at 7:30am after an all night shift lol)... In most cases, another owner will be present to assist with the removal of their dog... Main thing is to break both dogs train of thought which is "fight"... A spray in the face with a strong scent, just like one of those anti barking collars will stop dogs from fighting, as their fight response only registers in their brain momentarily. Once thought process is disrupted, yelling at the dog to get away will work 99.9999999% of the time as its no longer in kill mode...

Hopefully, the experience hasn't been too traumatic for the OP and I wish her and her dog a speedy recovery...

Thank you all for your kind words!
Just got out of surgery about an hour ago.
Everything went well. Apparently haven't stitched the wound completely closed because they need easy access just incase of infection. They had to sacrifice some of the skin around it because there was way too much damage. So I will have a pretty nasty big scar.

In a terrible amount of pain, hopefully they can give me some pain killers soon!

Thank you again for all your kind words!

Glad it went well!

I'm curious if you're able to explain what needed to be done in sugary? Was it reattaching things that had been severed or was it just to fix vessels and stop bleeding etc and clean it up?

Hope your dog is alright!

I'll answer a few questions people have asked. My dog is a Great Dane and the stray was a Rhodesian x mastiff.
So I was very limited to what I could have done without anything on me. Because both these dogs are 65kg +
The stray grabbed my dog by the side of the face / jowls and locked on. Started shaking his head around literally trying to tear it off.
I'm one of those people that don't think rationally when I see an animal getting hurt, (especially when it's a dog that my family has had for 10 years) I tried to stand in between them and some how get the stray to let go. I think I ended up twisting / pulling his ears but as soon as the other dog let go, my dog tried to defend himself and bite back but seeing as I was standing in between their heads my thigh copped the bite.

In the surgery they did find muscle tearing so they had to stitch that back together along with sacrificing any extra skin around / in it that had little to no chance of recovery. So
My wound is almost double the size now because of how much damage there was.
Still very sore. Doctors say I won't be able to be back at work for almost 2 weeks.
To be honest I'm just hoping that even if I am still in a horrendous amount of pain I just hope they let me go home so I can see all my animals lol!

Ps my dog is fine. Only a tiny tear on his jowls. But as soon as he realised he had hurt me, he has been a very sooky boy at home apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back