Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 40 Litre Nano Reef - It has only been set up for 4.5 months.

Lovely looking cube!

I've got a 6'x18"x18" marine tank and the protien skimmer, calcium reactor and filtration system all broke down in a 3 week period. I cant afford to replace them all until I get back to work. (currently crook) Lost the corals but the fish are all fine.

Last edited:
Not a fish tank but a short video I shot in Litchfield park recently showing underwater habitats and a few grunters, gudgeons and rainbows

Native Fish: Buley Rockholes and Florence Falls (Florence Creek) in Litchfield National Park, NT - YouTube

Great stuff cobber. Those Sooties make me hungry. Best freshwater fish up here for eating!

I used to go to Litchfield before it was a National Park. You could get to Buleys/ top of Florence or to the base of Tolmer, Wangi or Florence Falls on some extremely rough tracks. But you had the place to yourself. I scared the crap out of myself one night. Night diving with a smallish torch was brilliant until I turned around to find a 3 meter freshie 12 inches from my googles. We both beat a hasty retreat. That was in Wangi. I was always nervous there.

The most abundant and diverse freshwater fish are found at Barramundi (Maguk) Falls in Kakadu. A snorkel in the channel 500 meters below the plunge pool is extrordinary! You'd love it.

Great footage (including the feet). Thanks!

I remember those days Steve, the tracks and access back then were pretty rugged. First went there back in 1984. Wangi is still pretty spooky in the darker places; regularly used to see freshies there snorkelling and salties now often turn up during the Wet and early Dry. Once went snorkelling at 1am, great experience but had the heart pumping a bit. Wouldn't chance swimming at the bottom of Tolmer nowadays, but used to be magic.

I was just back up there a month ago and spent a couple of days at Maguk, magic as ever. There will be a video out on that shortly. The area you talk about is now sort of closed as they have a permanent croc trap and no swimming, but I used to snorkel there and would see up to around 18 different species...amazing diversity. I have a few more videos from there but they are mainly just ID for different fishes at the moment (pseudechis - YouTube), am working on putting together a bit of an overview in the next few weeks. Bloody hard sitting back here in Melbourne looking back on where I was a few weeks ago! Envy your job but appreciate your regular posts and photos!

Lovely looking cube!

I've got a 6'x18"x18" marine tank and the protien skimmer, calcium reactor and filtration system all broke down in a 3 week period. I cant afford to replace them all until I get back to work. (currently crook) Lost the corals but the fish are all fine.

Thank you :) It's a joy to watch. My younger brother set up a home based business selling fish/corals and dry goods.......... and......... well......... I decided to get myself a nano (both my mother, brother and sister in law have reef set ups - so there are 3 households now that I visit and am so rude - going straight to the tanks to watch them like television instead of interacting with them!)

Mum's is a 400L set up, my brothers is 1100L. He just had some issues with his lights - lost almost all of his corals also. Sorry that you've lost so much of your coral stock - It adds up quickly when you have to replace it all :-(

My set up is pretty simple - I'm a stickler for frequent water changes (I do 5L (12%) every 5 days) so it's a constant supply of fresh-ness for everything in there. I've even had to (ALREADY) adopt out an elegance and a frogspawn that went out of control once in my tank (I re-did the lights in the hood and they're a total of 92w high powered LED's (2 sets of blue and 2 sets of 6,400 daylight)

If anyone is interested, I have a build thread here: Schnecke's 40L (10G) Hooded (New Build) - Members Aquariums - Nano-Reef.com Forums

Here are some better photo's using a proper camera (and not my iphone LOL)

The main tank photo was before I re-homed the Elegance coral (that quadrupled in surface spread after I adopted it - so it was given back to it's previous owner) and I have since added a few more things, like the clam etc)

Main Tank:
2013_07_29_3_2615bf57823341ab4273.jpg

My open Trachy Brain (has to be my favourite - it's such a piggy and loves it's food!)
1240514_10200580978711125_1826905804_n.jpg

Little Plated Fungia, plus a purple morph and a little blue/green scolly:
1718_10200528013267022_1614350076_n.jpg

Just the Actinic Lights over the Bubble Tip Anemone (it has gone from being half the size of a golf ball to as big as my closed fist in 6 weeks (eek!)
1230074_10200580984591272_366122037_n.jpg

My new Cultured Tridacna Squamosa Clam (it's a tiny 2" from tip to toe)
1175345_10200523377751137_1586619137_n.jpg

Plated Fungia (was a hitchhiker and has grown like crazy)
1186292_10200528011906988_1247627579_n.jpg

New additions, 4 x Blasto polyps. The Green in these is magic (Red and Green Scolly in the background and a green Aussie War Coral as well.
1146587_10200580979351141_1832385888_n.jpg

Clam, Blue/Purple Morph and Red/Green Scolly.
535851_10200528020667207_20906031_n.jpg

Last edited:
And these are some shots from my mum's larger (400L) tank (I'm actually pretty proud of these photo's - they are 100% uncropped and taken on my new Canon 600D with standard kit lens (18-55mm) I'm a beginner in every aspect of the word, but I am learning as much as I can.

Her stunning green and pink Goniopora (I've never seen one happy and always extended like this, everyone I've ever known to have one has lost them:
970217_10200434367605939_1058752252_n.jpg

Her Pulsating Xenia (Growing like weeds in her tank)
1000877_10200434367205929_38490430_n.jpg

And a large Green Rhodactis Morph (You can see in the background she has the most AMAZING Blood Orange Morphs as well)
1016830_10200434367525937_368973822_n.jpg

I find it easier to take photo's of mum's tank instead of mine as I don't have a macro lens and her glass to coral distance is easier to get better shots (until her eel tailed catfish decides to start photobombing!)

We share our house with our Mangrove Jack "Jack"... the coolest fish we've had by far and has now successfully eradicated all of his tankmates and lives alone in a 6" x 2.5" x 2.5".

He began at a modest 10cm and looked like a little rascal:

And then he got a little bit bigger:

And then bigger again...

And grew into a monster..

And here is him in his tank next to one of the dogs (sorry he's not in focus, it was a long exposure), but he's around 45 - 50cm now. He's the last resort for any mice that don't get finished off too, loves them.

Wowee, that's an impressive fish!!!

EDIT: Nice Grey :) I used to foster grey's, I loved them, they are more like couch decorations than dogs ;P

Wicked tank fish and images. I just ordered a 4x2x2 today :) Discus tank

Great looking setups- cant beat a marine tank.

Fortunately we collect most of our corals and fish (legally) on the local reefs. We have an amzing diversity of both with West Oz, East Oz ans SE Asian species all overlapping in this region.

And these are some shots from my mum's larger (400L) tank (I'm actually pretty proud of these photo's - they are 100% uncropped and taken on my new Canon 600D with standard kit lens (18-55mm) I'm a beginner in every aspect of the word, but I am learning as much as I can.

Her stunning green and pink Goniopora (I've never seen one happy and always extended like this, everyone I've ever known to have one has lost them:
View attachment 295875

Her Pulsating Xenia (Growing like weeds in her tank)
View attachment 295876

And a large Green Rhodactis Morph (You can see in the background she has the most AMAZING Blood Orange Morphs as well)
View attachment 295877

I find it easier to take photo's of mum's tank instead of mine as I don't have a macro lens and her glass to coral distance is easier to get better shots (until her eel tailed catfish decides to start photobombing!)

Thanks guys! Yep, greyhounds are one of my favourite breeds :) - and yeah she's a massive couch potato!

Macca's Fish tank

I've been having a lot of up's and (more) downs lately with it, but here is an old Tank shot shortly after we moved it "in wall) (The shot is 18 months old now)

View attachment 296118

[video=youtube_share;SiGfJHIEtcM]http://youtu.be/SiGfJHIEtcM[/video]

and the Xenia

[video=youtube_share;w6oO3914otI]http://youtu.be/w6oO3914otI[/video]

My roommate recently went and bought a small tropical tank and two clown fish because she thought they looked cool without researching them first. Both fish died overnight. I hope she's learnt her lesson about buying things on impulse without researching them first!

Hey guys,

I'm switching things around in the herp room and have a couple of 4x2x2 tanks that are running external canister filters. At the moment the filters are below the level of the tank and work great. If I put the filter on the same shelf as the tank will it still work efficiently?

Hey guys,

I'm switching things around in the herp room and have a couple of 4x2x2 tanks that are running external canister filters. At the moment the filters are below the level of the tank and work great. If I put the filter on the same shelf as the tank will it still work efficiently?

No reason why it shouldn't. If anything it will put less strain on the pump as it wont have to fight gravity as much. Only reason people put it underneath is aesthetic reasons. Plus keep in mind you will be running either the outlet or inlet hose longer to get it on the side you are after.

My roommate recently went and bought a small tropical tank and two clown fish because she thought they looked cool without researching them first. Both fish died overnight. I hope she's learnt her lesson about buying things on impulse without researching them first!

Do you mean she put them into freshwater?

No it was saltwater. I think it wasn't warm enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back