[GRAPHIC] In hospital. Dog bite

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
His eye popped out of its socket? jesus, how do you fix that? i hope your dogs make a speedy recovery as well as Ellan, thats a nasty looking wound.

Thank you.
Luckily for us it didn't squeeze completely out of the eyelids and popped itself back in in the vets office. Otherwise that have to anaesthetise (sp?) them and push it in and see they eye shut. He is very lucky as she said it looks like he still has vision but no way of telling how damaged, if any, the nerves are :( it looked pretty horrendous but i didn't get a picture, just straight in the car to the vet!

While that is still a nasty wound it is so much neater looking than it was. The top puncture is almost entirely healed and the main puncture has nice straight edges that will eventually seal nicely. The problem with subcutaneous damage that is ragged and torn, is they try and sow it together as best as possible and hope, but you can often end up proud flesh that the blood supply to has been too damaged to maintian before the capillaries can regrow and start supplyng oxygen and nutrients again. With that sort of wound they have to keep it open and allow it to granulate up from below. I don't know what they do these days but in years gone past they would lightly abrade the inside of the wound and then rinse it thoroughly with saline to remove any dead cells.

It is not a pleasant experience but the discomfort of the daily treatment is definitely worth the end result - no nasty lumps or weaknesses and minimal scarring. I am no expert, just going on what my brother went through on his lower back many years ago. His girlfriend was a nurse and so she did the daily dressing. He originally had a hole you could fit three or fingers into up to the first knuckle. But it healed brilliantly and although the scar evident it was not raised or lumpy etc.

Bottom line... looks the plastic surgeon has done a great in tidying it up and allowing access to that section that needs to heal from beneath. Not a lot of fun for you, I realise, but it is definitely well and truly on the best track from my limited experience of these things. Therefore I am very pleased for you and hope this gives you some measure of comfort. God knows you could probably do with it.

Cheers
Blue

While that is still a nasty wound it is so much neater looking than it was. The top puncture is almost entirely healed and the main puncture has nice straight edges that will eventually seal nicely. The problem with subcutaneous damage that is ragged and torn, is they try and sow it together as best as possible and hope, but you can often end up proud flesh that the blood supply to has been too damaged to maintian before the capillaries can regrow and start supplyng oxygen and nutrients again. With that sort of wound they have to keep it open and allow it to granulate up from below. I don't know what they do these days but in years gone past they would lightly abrade the inside of the wound and then rinse it thoroughly with saline to remove any dead cells.

It is not a pleasant experience but the discomfort of the daily treatment is definitely worth the end result - no nasty lumps or weaknesses and minimal scarring. I am no expert, just going on what my brother went through on his lower back many years ago. His girlfriend was a nurse and so she did the daily dressing. He originally had a hole you could fit three or fingers into up to the first knuckle. But it healed brilliantly and although the scar evident it was not raised or lumpy etc.

Bottom line... looks the plastic surgeon has done a great in tidying it up and allowing access to that section that needs to heal from beneath. Not a lot of fun for you, I realise, but it is definitely well and truly on the best track from my limited experience of these things. Therefore I am very pleased for you and hope this gives you some measure of comfort. God knows you could probably do with it.

Cheers
Blue

Reading this actually put my mind at ease funnily enough. Thank you so much blue!
It's really nice to have some reassurance!

I just have to work on getting it healed quickly. Work has told me that I am not able to go back to work unless I am able to do full duties.
Which is a little hard with an open wound where I work because I have to climb up ladders multiple times a day and carry/ lift heavy things.
I wouldn't want to break the stitches that are holding the sides and I definitely wouldn't want to make the wound split open more.
There goes my annual leave.
I hope I don't lose my job because of it.

But Thanks again!

OUCH-CITY!!!

I got munched by a blue-healer once, but luckily it was an old dog with old teeth that were worn, so the old scumbag had trouble getting through my calf :lol: Personally I think he read my mind because at the stage I was walking past him I was thinking "What an ugly dog!" :lol: :lol:

OUCH-CITY!!!

I got munched by a blue-healer once, but luckily it was an old dog with old teeth that were worn, so the old scumbag had trouble getting through my calf :lol: Personally I think he read my mind because at the stage I was walking past him I was thinking "What an ugly dog!" :lol: :lol:
Haha! Cattle dogs do get ugly even they get old! I'm lucky my girl is just a pup still haha.

I think designed them such that the kicks in the head from cattle hooves only improve their appearance.

I read your post the other night VenomOOse but was unable to respond as I was laughing so hard. Classic!

I keep checking for any progress Ellannn. I was very pleased to read your reaction. What I think you will find is that the gaping wound will appear not to change much, and then all of a sudden it will start close and will heal over in a matter of days. I hope you don’t have to eat into too much of your annual leave. You have my empathy.

Cheers,
Blue

Hope you don't loose your job Ellannn, and blue is right, it looks so much better and very tidy edges..once it is healed and no longer open, I recommend Bio Oil to help with the scaring, it works wonders if you use it several times a day and it will lessen the appearance of the battle scar..

Hey guys! Just thought I would post an update and photo seeing as I got the remainder of my stitches out today. Still a lot of healing to be done but its getting there!

6epe2upu.jpg

Looks like your recovery is going very well. I wonder how the hole in your leg will close up though.

Hey guys! Just thought I would post an update and photo seeing as I got the remainder of my stitches out today. Still a lot of healing to be done but its getting there!

6epe2upu.jpg

That's looking excellent! Very clean indeed. Hope it is speedy and uneventful recovery!

Looking better mate, how is work going? Are they still not letting you back?

Looks like your recovery is going very well. I wonder how the hole in your leg will close up though.

It heals from the inside out, it's just a slow progress. It's half as deep as it was. All I know is that ill have to go back to the plastic surgeon.

Looking better mate, how is work going? Are they still not letting you back?

Thank you! Yeah still not letting me back, they need me to be able to do "full duties" and have a medical certificate that states that I would be able too do full duties. My doctor has contacted them saying I could come back if they let me sit down and have a rest every few hours, due to pain but they refused. hopefully they will say I can come back next week!

Looks like it is healing up nicely! Just make sure it stays clean and doesn't get infected, wushing your leg the best! :D

(It looks like a little mouth :lol:)

Looks like it is healing up nicely! Just make sure it stays clean and doesn't get infected, wushing your leg the best! :D

(It looks like a little mouth :lol:)

Thank you for your best wishes!
If you think it looks like a mouth I think you will enjoy the picture I'm going to post lol

My little sister made this for me to cheer me up. It made me laugh so I thought I would share it lol!

amutused.jpg

Nothing new to report! Slowly getting there!! Doc thinks another 3 weeks before it heals to the surface.

My little sister made this for me to cheer me up. It made me laugh so I thought I would share it lol!

amutused.jpg

Nothing new to report! Slowly getting there!! Doc thinks another 3 weeks before it heals to the surface.

Lol,

Oh gosh, that really does look like a little mouth!

Glad your sister is keeping your spirits up :)

amutused.jpg

Haha! Love it! ^.^

3 more weeks and your freeeeeee! :D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back