Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PilbaraPythons

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Good news, new W.A species addition's approved.
Water pythons
Rough scaled pythons
Pygmy Pythons
North Westerns Carpets
Brown Tree snakes
Time to go herping and have me some paid fun I think
Regards Dave

It's about time! This is long overdue and no doubt welcome news for WA reptile keepers.
Hard to believe that you guys haven't been able to keep these endemic species until now.
Was this the result of lobbying or did the wildlife authorities finally come around of their own accord? Either way, it's a victory for common sense.

It's about time! This is long overdue and no doubt welcome news for WA reptile keepers.
Hard to believe that you guys haven't been able to keep these endemic species until now.
Was this the result of lobbying or did the wildlife authorities finally come around of their own accord? Either way, it's a victory for common sense.

Was the good work of the WAHS that made this happen

Great news... only 9 years after they promised a review... better late than never!!! Roughies and NW Carpets will be a bit thin on the ground if you have to rely on wildcaught!

Jamie

But fun of going there to look Jamie lol

Actually it would feel a bit weird finding a roughy knowing that you aren't going to get hung up by your balls if you are seen

Last edited by a moderator:
The east coast are about to get a whole lot more variation in their pygmy pythons!!!

Can you import to?

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 2
We can import anything but pythons.... So the only new additions that will be imported are Boiga Irregularis.
DPaW (DEC) will be watching the NWCP closely I think. Anyone who magically gets an albino will be getting special treatment no doubt. Part of our license conditions is allowing them to DNA test. So I imagine they will be trying to match the strain of known albinos with anything that pops up here. It will also be interesting to watch how they monitor the two sub species NWCP and SWCP and if any jerks try to cross bread them.

We can import anything but pythons.... So the only new additions that will be imported are Boiga Irregularis.
DPaW (DEC) will be watching the NWCP closely I think. Anyone who magically gets an albino will be getting special treatment no doubt. Part of our license conditions is allowing them to DNA test. So I imagine they will be trying to match the strain of known albinos with anything that pops up here. It will also be interesting to watch how they monitor the two sub species NWCP and SWCP and if any jerks try to cross bread them.
Sounds like a new $1000 license fee mate.

I think my next snake will be a RSP.

And the RSP will be able to be kept on my standard license that costs $66.25 for five years. I am glad that you guys have more species to choose from and it makes it a little closer to national rules.

Give it a couple months and a lot of hidden pygmies that would of been pouched over here illegally and sent east will slowly start making a appearance on the market!!

I am not so sure about that Niall, they still have to have a trail from a W.A dealer so what would a dealer really gain by covering someone's paper work?

These have been a long time coming. We could have had them more than 18 months earlier, had we been willing to accept the offer at the time of a review and considerations of additional animals every five years. The WAHS membership voted against accepting this and the committee then set about galvanising as much political pressure as it could. This include direct lettters to the minister, strategic discussions with the shadow minister, letters and personal approaches to local members and pressure applied directly to the department. We did not write the letter for member but provided an examplar of how to go to go about. This was supported by a long list of logical arguments, but members were also encouraged to add their own. One particular committtee member brought significant pressure to bear through his committe sanctioned but self-funded FOI requests.

While it certainly felt like we were losing most battles, we did in fact win the war. DEC gave an unequivcal undertaking, amongst other things, to provide a continous process of assessment with respect to the extensive original list of suggested additions to the keeping list. This is occuring groups of six submitted species at a time and we should be able able to expect the second submission of six to be assessed by now or close to it , and a submission put to the minister for approval and gazetting in the very near future. The committee had to work hard to contain the negativity of the cynics out their and "I know better than you do" brigade but the proof of the pudding is in the eating and all I can say is i hope those indivioduals like the tast of 'humble pie' because that is soon to be on the menu for them.

Please be aware that the allocation to categories at this stage is both conservative and governed by factor beyond those stated in the regs. Timr and increased availability will ultimatley see a more appropriate categorisation of those species deserving of it.

The final point point I would like to make is that if were not for the efforts of WAHS, absolutely nothing would have changed! All herp keepers in WA, members or otherwise, can thank that society for all expansion and improvements in their hobby. Well done!

Blue

Postulating about illegals coming out of the woodwork is, as Dave says, a waste of time. DEC have gone overboard to ensure there is a paper trail for each and every wild caught animal and each and every transacted animal between owners. While their system is not foolproof, it makes it very difficult to legalise illegally acquired animals. I realise that for the everyday keeper it is a plain pain in the butt but it is effective in reducing the illegal trade in reptiles and /or amphibians, so very prevalent in some other states.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back