Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't want to overcrowd the enclosure either, sometimes less is more.

I was more just curious if anyone has tried it.

Anyway enough of this topic, back to lizard pits.

Found a few round posts under the house today so i think ill use them. Just slice them down the middle and screw them back together with the wire mesh in between. One of my mates is coming over to give me a hand tomorrow arvo so ill probably post some pics tomorrow night. Ive found decent size sheets of mesh at bunnings so ill probably just grab a few of those but if anyone knows a better place to get them, let me know.

Okay i got the tree in, but we couldn't start until after 4 so it was too dark to take photos by the time we were finished.

It looks pretty nice and will give my EWD plenty of climbing space. Hopefully i will be able to fill in under the pond and get it filled tomorrow arvo.

Any updated photos mate? I am starting a pit build this weekend and would love to see what you've done

Cheers

Any updated photos mate? I am starting a pit build this weekend and would love to see what you've done

Cheers

yeah mate I've got a bit done. The cage around the pit has been a massive headache and I've been flat out at work so I haven't had much time to work on it. Hopefully a few members will be able to give me some ideas, especially for building some sort of gate or entry. I know how to do it, I just want to make sure it looks nice and doesn't distract from the rest of the pit.

Not sure what your local steel supplier has but I would go 20-25mm heavy duty mesh, this comes in massive panels an can be cut to size. I'm sure if you don't have a trailer then could drop off to your house for a fee.

I would got the back an half sides as something solid (timber paneling or the likes) and the rest mesh, door could be mesh or made into the solid walls.

Rick

My local reptile shop has an EWD/Bluetongue/Shingleback pit, and instead of using mesh, they have a timber bannister just above waist height, and under that they have used perspex sheet. Problem with mesh, unless you get toughened sheets, is they can bend and get wavy, especially when they get climbed on, etc.

You could always approach a pool place and get a quote on clear pool fencing as another option.

Villa board as a base works well... Cost effective... You can glue it & screw it... Acts as a wind break down low... Build a Frame for an entry & is very strong & paintable... Comes in various widths & is easy to cut... I can't see your lil critters being able to climb it either....

My local reptile shop has an EWD/Bluetongue/Shingleback pit, and instead of using mesh, they have a timber bannister just above waist height, and under that they have used perspex sheet. Problem with mesh, unless you get toughened sheets, is they can bend and get wavy, especially when they get climbed on, etc.

You could always approach a pool place and get a quote on clear pool fencing as another option.

That may work inside but for an outside pit i would be going with tall walls and a lid, dont want any feral cats getting in and killing your lizards.

20mm heavy duty (2-4mm wire) mess wont flex much and will keep lizards in and predators out.

Rick

That may work inside but for an outside pit i would be going with tall walls and a lid, dont want any feral cats getting in and killing your lizards.

20mm heavy duty (2-4mm wire) mess wont flex much and will keep lizards in and predators out.

Rick

Good call, didn't think about that. For some reason was thinking inside an enclosed pergola.

You could always incorporate some sort of viewing glass for the front, and mesh the rest? Just thinking about keeping it viewer-friendly.

Im trying to make it basically a large aviary. Today i built the corner posts and started attaching the aviary mesh. It will flex a bit but i'm not too worried about that, it is still fairy sturdy and doesn't take away from the view. It's very easy to see through. I've figured out a way to build the gate so I'm happy about that. I will hopefully have it almost finished by this weekend. Work and a few other things have taken up a lot of my time and made it very hard to get much done but it is slowly coming together.
IMG_7127.jpg
A few more plants have been added and the existing plants are growing nicely. The 4 posts are in, the mesh on the back is finished and the mesh on the left side and top has been started.

Im trying to make it basically a large aviary. Today i built the corner posts and started attaching the aviary mesh. It will flex a bit but i'm not too worried about that, it is still fairy sturdy and doesn't take away from the view. It's very easy to see through. I've figured out a way to build the gate so I'm happy about that. I will hopefully have it almost finished by this weekend. Work and a few other things have taken up a lot of my time and made it very hard to get much done but it is slowly coming together.
View attachment 296451
A few more plants have been added and the existing plants are growing nicely. The 4 posts are in, the mesh on the back is finished and the mesh on the left side and top has been started.

Awesome... That's come along way... Looks very natural... I like the size of the big tree... Really puts things In perspective... Thanks for the update... Looking forward to seeing the finished product :)

IMG_7281.jpgIMG_7282.jpgIMG_7261.jpg
Okay so i have done a fair bit of work, in the very small amount of free time that i have had.

Corner posts are in and I've done a fair bit of work installing the aviary mesh. Ive also had a power point installed so that i can have the pond filter/pump running and ill be installing the MVB light on the wall on the right.

Plants are all doing very well and growing nicely. Hopefully i will be able to smash out a lot of work tomorrow and get it finished. All that is left to do is a bit more mesh on the ceiling, another row of mesh on the left and then building the gate and mesh at the front.

So hopefully i will have it all completed by tomorrow afternoon. I know my EWD will be VERY excited!

Hope everyone enjoys the pics, sorry they have taken so long.

Looks amazing! You've done some real good work. I'm liking the 'tree' you have. I'm trying to find a similar thing but on a smaller scale for my enclosure. Your EWD is one spoilt dragon, hell, set up a hammock and I'LL live in there!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4

Yeah it dosnt get any better than that... Great vision & great execution... Your EWD will be in its element...

IMG_7286.jpgIMG_7296.jpgIMG_7295.jpgIMG_7293.jpg

I worked very hard this weekend to try and get it finished but i just couldn't quite get it done. Very, very, very close though.

I had a friends birthday saturday night and my grand dads funeral today, so i managed to get a bit of work done yesterday and tonight, thats why the photos are so dark of the gate. I got more mesh in, which had to be tensioned and the join between mesh sheets tied together. I also got the gate built and hung.

I did get a nice compliment from a little wild water dragon who had found his way through the opening before i hung the gate, he has been chilling out in the enclosure all day, making good use of the tree and the pond. If it's good enough for wild dragons, i guess it's good enough for mine.

Looks great man, gotta be happy with the wild temporary resident thinking it was ok.

Rick

How's your lil one settling in to his new home? This warm weather we've been having in Brissy has bought all my critters to life...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back