Denisonia devisi Envenomation

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrett

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Tonight I unfortunately got myself into a situation where I was able to bitten by my denisonia devisi "Addie."

In order to get her to feed I first have to grab her behind the head and place the rat in front of her mouth until she grabs it. I wear gloves made from suede that cover most of the finger, they leave the back of the fingers - close to the knuckle - covered in polyester/cotton fabric.
Addie managed to slip from my grip and whip around to bite the fabric covered portion of my middle finger. Both fangs penetrated the skin to enough of a degree to cause bleeding.
This is what the site looks like a couple minutes after the bite.

This was 2 hours later.

Timeline:
I was tagged at roughly 9:30 p.m.
Over the next five minutes I bandaged my arm, took the first photo and wore an extra pair of leather gloves underneath the suede gloves to feed Addie.
During the first hour there was slight swelling - unfortunately I didn't take a photo of the swelling - and slight stinging; less than a bee sting.
During the second hour the swelling subsided and the stinging went away.

All in all, it was wasn't pleasant, but it was "nice and boring" like I had expected it would be.
Thought I would share this story to get some more information out about what a bite from a De Vis Banded Snake has the ability to do.
I also have an EpiPen on standby, just in case an allergic reaction took place. Safety First.

Tayler.

havent heard a great deal about bites from this species,and looks like it went the way i imagined it would

Think yourself lucky it went this way, I know of other devisii envenomations that were much more severe.

do you think the gloves allowed the grip slip to occur?

The gloves do allow for some slippage. Normally I have my other hand free to grab her behind the head if she wiggles free. She managed to wiggle free when I was grabbing the rat with my other hand and that's when she managed to fling around and get me. She has bitten the the suede many times and can't penetrate through it. From now on I will be using my leather gloves underneath, just to be safe.

Think yourself lucky it went this way, I know of other devisii envenomations that were much more severe.

I have heard of some cases where the outcomes were much worse. I seem to be lucky by having a decent immune system, as I have been bitten by various spiders, including a red back, wasps, bees, centipedes, a one fang bite from a Demansia psammophis, and a few other critters with minimal damage - I checked into hospital for the red back bite to be treated.

UPDATE:
I took the bandage off when I woke up this morning. There is still some very slight swelling at the site and there is a small amount of discomfort from touching that runs from just above the site to about half way down the finger.
Apart from that, there are no notable systems.

I found gloves make elapids harder to deal with when doing finicky stuff like force feeding, great info nonetheless.

I found gloves make elapids harder to deal with when doing finicky stuff like force feeding, great info nonetheless.

Yeah, I normally start off with gloves and then grab her behind the head with my bare hand, feeding with right hand. I just have to put the rat in front of her mouth and she will latch on, when I see that she gives it a second chomp I let go of her - it seems to be the only way to get her to eat. I spent the first two months without getting her to eat because I would try to feed her out of her enclosure, due to substrate sticking to the rat. When I changed her substrate to paper and attempted to feed her that way inside her enclosure she finally accepted food, and with regularity.

Ah yep, some have such strange feeding preferences, whatever works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back