Snakes in a rental property

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldbloodedinc

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all quick question i have an inspection tomorow now that you can buy pythons in a pet shop some people dont like the idea of snakes i know they are considered a pet but can i be evicted for keeping them they are all on licence and well they dont dig holes kill the grass chew plants or roam free in the back yard. Can a real estate evict u for having them in nsw ?

The owner can decide that they do not want snakes at their property and ask you to remove them, if you do not remove them they can issue you a breach notice and eventually start the eviction process if the breach is not remedied.

Bad move not discussing it with the real estate prior to an inspection. If you spoke to them first and sold the idea it could have helped.

Really that sucks i have turned my enclosures around and pretty much hidden them from veiw the owner is coming with them as its the first time the house has been rented out and its the first inspection ..... What u think ?
se9ata7u.jpg

Well, considering how much time you have to look at your options I would recommend that you wing it :)

Yeah looks good but I would try to sue out how the owner feels about "pets" and then "pets in enclosures" like fish and then "reptiles as pets" because it will be a lot off your mind for the future.

Tell them your doc recommends the reps because your allergic to fish......you'll be right ,worse case throw a sheet over it and it will look like a dust cover

That looks fine. Just looks like you are storing some furniture. I would probably bring it up before the next inspection. Most are fine as like you said they won't be damaging the property.

Well inspection is in an hour and a half and im sure it will go good hopefully they dont pay to much attention to the garage and il be ok ... Fingers crossed

Well inspection is in an hour and a half and im sure it will go good hopefully they dont pay to much attention to the garage and il be ok ... Fingers crossed

Should be fine. They have no business asking you what's in there or having a look. As long as there is no damage to their property, whatever 'furniture' you have is of no consequence to them.

As others have said, maybe put the feelers out so next inspection you may be able to show off your collection :)

Should be fine. They have no business asking you what's in there or having a look. As long as there is no damage to their property, whatever 'furniture' you have is of no consequence to them.

As others have said, maybe put the feelers out so next inspection you may be able to show off your collection :)

ETA: every rental inspection I ever had they only stuck their head in the garage door to see that I had no drug lab lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you read your lease agreement document? In my rental experiences they are mainly geared to keep the property in good condition. It will have a clause regarding animals. Both the tenant and the owner can disregard these as they please as long as they can pay the penalty if it becomes a problem for either party.
Communicate with the owner and show them what you've got. You have'nt built anything or modified the garage so it shouldn't be a problem. If it is there is undoubtedly a host of other clauses that the owner will need to adhere to if they want to be "antsy" eg changing light bulbs should be done by an electrician at their expense. The lease is to protect the tenants rights as well as the owners. I rented in Sydney for many years and only had a couple of run ins with owners and mainly real estate agents.These weren't reptile related btw.
If the owners is maybe herpophobic that is not your problem and should not affect your tenancy rights.
Oh and don't forget to pay the rent -that usually keeps em happy.
good luck.

the sweeping brush is an excellent touch ;)

- - - Updated - - -

The owner can decide that they do not want snakes at their property and ask you to remove them, if you do not remove them they can issue you a breach notice and eventually start the eviction process if the breach is not remedied.

Bad move not discussing it with the real estate prior to an inspection. If you spoke to them first and sold the idea it could have helped.

not sure i agree with the breach notice bit. What are you in breach of unless its in the lease agreement? The owners opinion
is ,respectfully ,irrelevant.
Definitely agree with communicating tho.

Have you read your lease agreement document? In my rental experiences they are mainly geared to keep the property in good condition. It will have a clause regarding animals. Both the tenant and the owner can disregard these as they please as long as they can pay the penalty if it becomes a problem for either party.
Communicate with the owner and show them what you've got. You have'nt built anything or modified the garage so it shouldn't be a problem. If it is there is undoubtedly a host of other clauses that the owner will need to adhere to if they want to be "antsy" eg changing light bulbs should be done by an electrician at their expense. The lease is to protect the tenants rights as well as the owners. I rented in Sydney for many years and only had a couple of run ins with owners and mainly real estate agents.These weren't reptile related btw.
If the owners is maybe herpophobic that is not your problem and should not affect your tenancy rights.
Oh and don't forget to pay the rent -that usually keeps em happy.
good luck.

the sweeping brush is an excellent touch ;)

- - - Updated - - -

not sure i agree with the breach notice bit. What are you in breach of unless its in the lease agreement? The owners opinion
is ,respectfully ,irrelevant.
Definitely agree with communicating tho.

I was thinking about other stuff that was not in a lease agreement like oil stains on a driveway that my brother in law was given a notice about. Not sure what the actual notice was called but assumed it was a breech notice and not sure of the legalities of it but also assumed that it was possible. Also if the owner was that against the idea ( which I would be if it was being hidden from me) I am sure that it would be in the next lease agreement which I believe the trend is only signing 6 month leases.

Bro in law should have cleaned it up if he spilled it/leaked from his engine.
Onus is on lessee to read the lease and once signed abide by its terms.
This goes for the property owner equally.
The longer the lease the better because the rent can't increase during the terms of the lease. Once expired it runs on a month to month basis and rent can be increased monthly to the point where an undesirable tenant will not be able to pay and then breach the terms and may be evicted.
A couple of drops of oil should not be grounds for eviction.
Anyway I wanna know how the inspection went -I'm tipping the owner was happy with the place.

I just throw sheets over my enclosures, by law they're not allowed to look inside cupboards, underneath sheets ect...

Coldbloodedinc how did you go with the inspection. Just finished reading your thread and from the pics I saw I'd say you wouldn't have any problems.

Yeeeeew the inspection went awsome he still doesnt know i have reptiles tho not sure he would like snakes he was happy with the house and the maintanance i have done around the place and was mucking around with my 3 daughters (6,4,2 years old) actualy not a bad bloke. Thanks all for the comments

Sounds like a positive result all round.Good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back