And we pretend we care about animals???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you google
india cetation law
there are many more articles with a much better description of what has happened
cetacions are now 'honorary humans' and cannot be killed caged captured or used for entertainment anywhere in India
and that's what made me shed a tear or two, that someone has finally recognized what they truly are, and done something that the rest of the world is going to talk about, take notice that " They Are Not Just Animals" and to keep them in captivity for entertainment to make money is sickening, keeping them because of injury is the only time they should be in captivity.

Some of this thread has border lined on racist and some posts just stupid, The only reason its still here is because longqi brought up a good issue and there have been some good responses. cummon APS your better than this. FAMILY REPTILE FORUM remember that..

Have nice day. :)

Last edited:
They are cetacions swimming in water that is like soup, address that and they may survive.

I'd ask someone to pass the popcorn but I'm sure it's all gone. I'll cook some more up.

So, some people on a forum dedicated to serving people who keep animals as pets, are happy that animals in India have been banned from captivity, while their natural habitat is being destroyed and they face extinction. Hands up who thinks animals never belong in captivity? I'm sure most, perhaps all of us have met people who say snakes should never be kept as pets, or in captivity at all. I've certainly met countless people who tell me that, sometimes fiercely. Having been in these shoes, I am reluctant to jump up and down against someone else keeping animals in captivity, especially a blanket ban.

I can remember in the 80s and 90s when the 'The only good snake is a dead snake' mentality was far more common than it is today, and meeting people who were sympathetic to snakes was something which almost never happened, unlike today, where it is pretty common. Back in the 80s extremely few people kept snakes. Today there are lots of them in captivity, and captive snakes are the way most people get exposed to them. If you get no exposure to something you won't care about it. Captive dolphins in a zoo would work as ambassadors for their species, creating public awareness and love, and thus a desire to keep them alive and well. If no one knows or cares, a lot of wild dolphins are going to suffer for the lack of a small few in captivity.

Things like this may seem nice on the surface, but they're not well thought through.

I hope you enjoyed your popcorn :)

I'm sure I saw a show once where these guys went to a PETA place and there were some really weird stuff going on....PETA people hybrids, like this half human half ostrich thing lying on the ground saying "kill mee, kill mee"................

I'm sure I saw a show once where these guys went to a PETA place and there were some really weird stuff going on....PETA people hybrids, like this half human half ostrich thing lying on the ground saying "kill mee, kill mee"................
Next they will try and stop freemason rituals.lol

I'd ask someone to pass the popcorn but I'm sure it's all gone. I'll cook some more up.

So, some people on a forum dedicated to serving people who keep animals as pets, are happy that animals in India have been banned from captivity, while their natural habitat is being destroyed and they face extinction. Hands up who thinks animals never belong in captivity? I'm sure most, perhaps all of us have met people who say snakes should never be kept as pets, or in captivity at all. I've certainly met countless people who tell me that, sometimes fiercely. Having been in these shoes, I am reluctant to jump up and down against someone else keeping animals in captivity, especially a blanket ban.

I can remember in the 80s and 90s when the 'The only good snake is a dead snake' mentality was far more common than it is today, and meeting people who were sympathetic to snakes was something which almost never happened, unlike today, where it is pretty common. Back in the 80s extremely few people kept snakes. Today there are lots of them in captivity, and captive snakes are the way most people get exposed to them. If you get no exposure to something you won't care about it. Captive dolphins in a zoo would work as ambassadors for their species, creating public awareness and love, and thus a desire to keep them alive and well. If no one knows or cares, a lot of wild dolphins are going to suffer for the lack of a small few in captivity.

Things like this may seem nice on the surface, but they're not well thought through.

I hope you enjoyed your popcorn :)
. If it wasn't for their habitat being destroyed and them facing extinction, I'd be happy for all these guys to be out in the wild in their natural habitat. I much prefer to see animals in their natural environment in the wild but unfortunately it isnt overly safe or the best option for their well being and survival these days :(

It was south park

Newhere,
I think you will find that it was not the intent of Tesla’s comment that was objected to but Rather his manner. We all understand the sarcasm utilised. However, in our language, to overstate something said, to the point of the rephrasing being ludicrous, and then add a blasphemous, derogatory assessment of it, is to imply that the initial comment was incorrect to the point of warranting ridicule and perhaps even imbecilic. In a phrase... Over the top.

Unfortunately the performance of our national parks does not necessarily meet the PR they churn out. You would have to know someone on the inside to know for you to know that. Otherwise you make a reasonably valid point.

Sdaji,
I would have thought you were more up on your cetacean biology than that. Dolphins are amongst the most intelligent of mammals have specific needs that are very expensive to meet properly. So there are just two dolphinariums left in Australia. One contains the largest sandy lagoon built in the world. The other has extensive facilities, helps wild dolphins to breed, and uses only captive bred animals and wild rescues that are unsuitable for release.

It has nothing to do with not keeping animals. It is about meeting their needs in captivity. If you cannot do that for reptiles, then you should not keep them either.

Longqi’s news includes protection of wild animals. It is a first step and should not be written off before it has even had a chance to take effect. How many of you are aware of the real improvements that have been brought about as a result of changing the legislation in Indian with regards the capture, use and treatment of snakes, in particular cobras and ‘snake charmers’? If India’s government could do something about their massive over-population, I am sure they would. The place is changing but the complexities of many different religious and cultural groups, the lack of widespread access to the media, inadequate transport infrastructure, the immense lack of literacy, etc means that the implementation of any are necessarily going to a lot of time to see the effect.

My personal opinion is that I am amazed that they have made the progress they have to date. That is not to deny that the road ahead is still very much uphill with a long, long way to go.

Blue

Sdaji,[/SIZE][/FONT]
I would have thought you were more up on your cetacean biology than that. Dolphins are amongst the most intelligent of mammals have specific needs that are very expensive to meet properly. So there are just two dolphinariums left in Australia. One contains the largest sandy lagoon built in the world. The other has extensive facilities, helps wild dolphins to breed, and uses only captive bred animals and wild rescues that are unsuitable for release.

It has nothing to do with not keeping animals. It is about meeting their needs in captivity. If you cannot do that for reptiles, then you should not keep them either.

I'm not sure why you'd expect me to be greatly knowledgeable about the biology of fish such as dolphins and whales, or why you would say understanding their intelligence/happiness is a 'biology' type thing, or why any of that is relevant anyway. If they're getting wiped out in the wild, and the ones in the wild are unhappy because the habitat is no good, and that is happening on a large scale, surely a few ambassador animals in captivity which raise awareness and make things better for the wild population would be a good thing as a whole. Call it biology or common sense, but it seems to be in the best interests of the species to expose them to the public and make the public like them. You can disagree if you like, and that's fair enough, not everyone is happy trading one animal's wellbeing for the wellbeing of many others or the entire species, but that's not an understanding of biology, that's it's philosophy.

*sits back and waits to see if he catches any *fish*

:p

Fair enough blue, I don't know anyone on the inside but we do so much to protect our animals and lots of people across the country dedicate their lives to studying and protecting them and I don't think we just pretend to care about them like the title of the thread. Yes we could do better but nobody is perfect and we can't expect our government to be either, we are still doing a lot more than nothing.

Fair enough blue, I don't know anyone on the inside but we do so much to protect our animals and lots of people across the country dedicate their lives to studying and protecting them and I don't think we just pretend to care about them like the title of the thread. Yes we could do better but nobody is perfect and we can't expect our government to be either, we are still doing a lot more than nothing.

Yes
We are doing a lot more than nothing????
BUT
Is that really true??

We permit the slaughter of whales within our territorial waters
We permit various groups to collect millions of dollars every year to protect cetaceans but see little sign of the money being well spent except in the Sea Shepard case and even then the Government does not back the wishes of the community

India has huge problems
Yet it has taken a big step in the right direction in this case
Western countries talk about things
But where are the similar steps?

I am NOT just including Australia

Not sure why everyone has to take something good like this and ruin it by judging them , us and others on the bad things that happen. Just realise that India has done something good and say well done.

Dolphins are amongst the most intelligent of mammals have specific needs that are very expensive to meet properly. So there are just two dolphinariums left in [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]Australia. One contains the largest sandy lagoon built in the world. The other has extensive facilities, helps wild dolphins to breed, and uses only captive bred animals and wild rescues that are unsuitable for release.

]
So are you saying that the dolphinariums in Australia should be prohibited? I believe dolphinariums keep Dolphins in the public eye and whilst there are some costs to the individuals housed the overall benefit to the dolphin population makes it worthwhile. Its so easy to ban keeping a particular animal in captivity and think that will fix all the problems. People are selfish; They are more likely to care about something that is in their immediate community than a dream which lives off in the distance. I would like to see "wild" animals kept as pets, rather than dogs and cats so as to make people aware of what else lives on this planet. Sure it would be hard setting and maintaining appropriate keeping standards but to continually say NO! lets the decline in the wild happen while the majority of the public remains unaware .
The plight of dolphins would be better served by having a few in properly maitained Dolphinariums rather than examining corpes along the shores of the Ganges!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back