School me on water pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BOB_NT

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I was looking at a 5yo water python today, great looking snake at a great price for 1 reason, it bites.
I put this down to the fact that its an ex breeding snake so it wasn't socilized much for its 1st 3 1/2 years of its life, add to that its enclosure is way to small IMO. The enclosure is 3x1.5ft and the snake is 7ft.

I'm thinking that if I put it in a much bigger enclosure and handle it moor it will quiet down.
The thing I want to know is are they a biting breed like green tree pythons or would it just be the enclousure and how much its been handeld.

If i was to get it, how big an enclosure should I get it? I'm thinking a 4x2x2ft same as my Works is in would be a minimum and a 5-6x2x2 would be better and probably a turtle tank so I can set it up a large area to bathe in.

They are no different to any other species though do have a strong feed response. My adults are housed in 200x60x45 melamine enclosure with normal water bowl and sphagnum moss in one hide box. The idea of having them with a large water area is impractical and dangerous due to pathogen build up in the water. Regular handling can reduce or exasperate defensive behaviour I have a 12yr old water that is super defensive and I don't push the handling with him but a puppy dog tame female that is great so long as you don't smell like food when she's hungry. I say go for it but be prepared to own a nice look but don't touch display animal if it doesn't adjust to handling. They are the best species in Aus IMO and have a bad rap really :)

Depends on wether you like the look of a punctured pin cushion(that will be you :) ) I love them ,but I'm a bit one eyed as I own some too...'Mr n Mrs Bi Polar ...

I have not had much experience with GTP's as I only have one and have not had it a long time but mine is young (just turning green) and is very very placid during the day but at night time it goes into hunt mode and comes for a look at anything that moves.

I have not had much experience with GTP's as I only have one and have not had it a long time but mine is young (just turning green) and is very very placid during the day but at night time it goes into hunt mode and comes for a look at anything that moves.

mmmm....

- - - Updated - - -

plenty of bandaids bob nt, waters can be nutters,bites from a 5 yr old will hurt,i think a hatchy would be a better option

Lol@ bites ....You'll be right mate just go in with eyes wide open ,and expect the unexpected... They are a beautiful snake and like was said can be a 'puppy dog' but we all know even 'puppy dogs can bite'...if you get it ,don't forget to put up pics ! Ok off topic why Andy are you talking about GTPs in a water thread? Have me a tad confused :s

Lol@ bites ....You'll be right mate just go in with eyes wide open ,and expect the unexpected... They are a beautiful snake and like was said can be a 'puppy dog' but we all know even 'puppy dogs can bite'...if you get it ,don't forget to put up pics ! Ok off topic why Andy are you talking about GTPs in a water thread? Have me a tad confused :s
Just responding to the op's original post about GTP's
"The thing I want to know is are they a biting breed like green tree pythons or would it just be the enclousure and how much its been handeld."

They area great snake. Mine is very calm but I always go in hook first and never dangle my fingers in front of his face as he will strike anything that looks like food without thinking. They can be kept like most pythons but the big question you need to ask is can you handle a 7ft chainsaw? Their attitude is probably not as bad as some make out but it doesn't mean you can't get a cranky snake. If this snake never calms down will you be able to care for it for the rest of its life?

As has been said before ...its not to do with the enclosure nor handling ,water pythons can and in most cases are a more challenging snake to own ...If you feel that your not up for the challenge ,then maybe this particular python isn't meant for you ...

Even species with a great reputation can have the odd animal who'll rip you a new one if given a chance. Water pythons have a mixed reputation, but I've no reason to believe they can't be as docile as carpets. That said, you're looking at a more aggressive individual. You've got to go into this understanding that she may never settle down.

Most QLD waters can be the most docile snake you will ever own.
Most NT waters, especially the Fog dam animals can be the most aggressive snake you will ever own.

There is exceptions to the rule and they do cop flak as a whole when there is plenty of placid ones, but that being said there is some psycho water pythons that would put most scrubbys to shame.

Also, you won't often find a super aggressive GTP, they can have high alert feeding responses at night but they are generally very nice snakes.

Had quite a few water pythons over the years ,first 4 adults i had were wild caught NT adults , were not bity as they would have been captive a while before i got them.
One was the enormous female that had a scar around its body and a fair size crocodiles tooth festered out after a shed . It was pulled out and the whole healed over well.
Two Qld gulf waters i had as juvenile, one tamed and one remained psycho.
A couple of adults from lower cape york were tamed easily. A pair of QLD water juveniles from the brad grew into tame animals .

The schooling part is ,when you see a water python advertised as "cage defensive"
(translated means that the owner is suffering from "blood loss" from a psycho water python )
They give a nasty bite, a friend has to use snake tongs on one of his , on the other hand most tame up alright,the majority.

Last edited:
I've got a little Water Python, and she's an absolute dream to handle. Easily as placid as my Carpet Python. The options with Water Pythons (as with any snake) are to either find one that's already got a placid nature, or bring home a defensive python with the knowledge that it may very well stay that way for the rest of it's life (I prefer calling them defensive, rather than "psycho".. But the truth is some can be so defensive as to come off as psychotic). Some snakes do settle down significantly when their enclosures are improved, I've even heard that raising the humidity up for Water Pythons can see an improvement in temperament; but even with lots of handling and improved living conditions nothing is guaranteed.

You've got to ask yourself if you feel comfortable taking on a large python that may never settle down. Keep in mind they've got a LOT of strength, and if you're not confident handling large pythons I'd suggest starting with a hatchie and working from there. Plus, I think a lot of people would agree that it's a pretty rewarding experience raising a python up from a tiny little thing into a large majestic animal.

x

Bahahahaha Zulu, I love the 'cage defensive' meaning ...so friggen true ! I have had one of mine latch on to my finger ,he wouldn't let go ,water rinse ,even rubbing alcohol to no avail ... He held on ,fortunately he was only little at the time ,so it was more humorous at the time walking around home ,wearing a water python as an accessory...eventually he got tired and let go ..puncture wounds and a bit of claret ..but from then on ,I won't go in hands first to get them out ..hook is what I use ..

I'm starting to think that a hatchling might be the way to go, but thinking of the small cage that the adult is in makes want to give it a go just so it has a better home.

Bahahahaha Zulu, I love the 'cage defensive' meaning ...so friggen true ! I have had one of mine latch on to my finger ,he wouldn't let go ,water rinse ,even rubbing alcohol to no avail ... He held on ,fortunately he was only little at the time ,so it was more humorous at the time walking around home ,wearing a water python as an accessory...eventually he got tired and let go ..puncture wounds and a bit of claret ..but from then on ,I won't go in hands first to get them out ..hook is what I use ..

You can imagine what its like getting bitten by the really big ones ,they really make a mess out of you.
The last two small adults i had went to a the film company that do the" ime a celebrity get me out of here", fortunately they were dog tame QLD type.

Could onley imagine some celebrity putting their hands in a box with a psycho one ,it would be pale white flesh and blood .

Bob,don't let us scare ya mate..lol we are just making sure youreyes are wide open ...if you feel your up to taking on this one ,then go for it ..the snake may turn out to be quiet and calm ,but atleast you know the gamble ..because you could get a hatchy that may never calm down .. beautiful snakes, just not right for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back