What NOT to do or use in reptile enclosures.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woma_Wild

Reaction score
I know that there is tips for newbies thread but thought that as I've learnt so many things about what not to do and about dangerous products, perhaps we could have this important info in one place.

# Do not use vinyl flooring under or on top of a heat mat.

# Do not use heat rocks

# Do not rewire an enclosure yourself unless you are a qualified electrician.

I'm sure that there are many more so please add to list.

# do not use any sort of adhesives, for any purpose, ever eg bluetac, double sided tape, etc.

From what I have read blu-tac seems to be okay, unlike adhesive tapes. Anyone got any bad experiences with it?

Be careful when using branches, ensure that you take all sharp edges right down to stop your little friend from tearing themselves on a sharp knot or twig etc, these can be sharp and can tear open the soft belly skin of any reptile....
also, when using bamboo, inspect it regularly as bamboo splits when it heats and dries out, tips of tails, and toes can be caught in the splits which are very sharp, I have had a python catch his tail in the split of a piece of bamboo and he lost a small amount of his tail... Very nasty stuff...

It seems like a rather subjective subject... I personally think you shouldn't use fake vine because I've had a bad experience with it (My diamond managed to get it wrapped around the feet of a young rabbit, and ... let's just say it was like going fishing.)

I personally don't use any fake plants or vine or anything, I keep my enclosures relatively sparse.

What's the problem with stickytape like adhesives anyway??

I'll tell you a story.

I couple of years back, someone was brining some hatchling diamond pythons over for me to take a look at. He put 4 of them in a container, with a small plastic water bowl stuck down with double sided tape. By the time he had driven to my house, the snakes had removed the water bowl and had got themselves stuck to the tape.

One of the snakes was squirming so much to get off, that it had skinned half of its body (it died not long after that). Another 2 had started tearing there skin.

That is the problem with tape and why it should NEVER be used inside an enclosure.

So glad I read this thread in regards to sticky tape. Never even crossed my mind that it could cause so much damage let alone kill a reptile

the green heat mates with no thermostat.

What's the problem with stickytape like adhesives anyway??

This.... admittedly this is a wild EB then found a cardboard box and thought it would be a nice place to hide in, but it shows what sticky tape can do.

EB_tape1_zps99cdcd2c.jpg

eb_tape2_zps513552d7.jpg

Poor animal. :(

another thing that's come to mind- light cages should be screwed flush with roof or side of enclosure to ensure the animal cannot get into the light cage and get stuck in there. Lamps will cause severe burns.

With cage furnishings (especially any heavy or awkward shaped objects) ensure they are positioned securely so as to avoid them falling over and possibly injuring/crushing your reptile! Also, try not to use any fragile/glass items as they can injure the animal if they break.

Never use fly spray near them.
Never take them in the bath.
Always seal the edges.
Don't lock your kids in the olive enclosures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back