Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's great that you had a 75% success rate breeding carpondro with gtp. The general rule with all animals is that the further separate mates are up the taxonomic rank, the less likely you will have viable offspring. the gtp, jungle and diamond (which is the cross that makes carprondro, afik) are all of the genus Morelia, so far more likely to work than crossing to animals of the same family but different genus. while some people may find it fun to muck around with hybrids, it is probably best left to the experienced breeders (or not at all imo, if anyone wants my opinion, which they most likely do not) :) Good luck OP, I hope some of the info posted here helps with your decision :)

That's great that you had a 75% success rate breeding carpondro with gtp. The general rule with all animals is that the further separate mates are up the taxonomic rank, the less likely you will have viable offspring. the gtp, jungle and diamond (which is the cross that makes carprondro, afik) are all of the genus Morelia, so far more likely to work than crossing to animals of the same family but different genus. while some people may find it fun to muck around with hybrids, it is probably best left to the experienced breeders (or not at all imo, if anyone wants my opinion, which they most likely do not) :) Good luck OP, I hope some of the info posted here helps with your decision :)

The snake in question is in the USA I believe and I think the 75% is not the successes rate but the percentage of carpet in the mix. Coastal x GTP is 50% of each and then cross the offspring with another coastal gives you 75% coastal 25% GTP. I do not agree with doing this as I love purebred animals but the fact is people are trying it. I am also not sure if it is also happening here in Australia.

the americans are ruining just about everything why do people keep saying america are doing it..who gives a crap what they are doing ...they also allow 12 year olds to get married in some states do we want that here too look at the lack of gun laws do we want that here too..geez i dont know why people want to be like america....get over it...sorry mods....

Last edited by a moderator:
the americans are ruining just about everything why do people keep saying america are doing it..who gives a crap what they are doing ...they also allow 12 year olds to get married in some states do we want that here too look at the lack of gun laws do we want that here too..geez i dont know why people want to be like america....get over it...sorry mods....

Racist American bashing aside I think the only reason the USA was brought up in this thread was to explain that they have done it even though it hasn't been done publicly here. I don't think any if the comments were aimed at using them as role models but just as examples of proof that it can be done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes they can technically breed. It is illegal in Queensland to do it. Why would you want to do it though? If you want to breed why not just get yourself a second spotted python on the opposite sex and breed them. Be a lot easier, don't have to worry about breeding loan stress or any of the other stuff. Guaranteed to get spotted python babies which you can easily sell and not get a black mark on your reputation. Would make your life a lot easier.
Cheers Cameron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back