First adult python acquired - Bredli

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPandCJ

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Hey guys,

We recently joined the forum and thought we would share our new friend.

Kingston the 4 yr old male Bredli. Previous owner wasn't able to handle him anymore, due to a shoulder injury.

He was pretty placid the day i got him 5 days ago, but hasn't wanted to come out since, he clinged to the wall and took up a really defensive posture. Is this pretty normal while he's settling in ? Going to try feeding him today.

- - - Updated - - -

1380095754146_zpsef63b39d.jpg

1380095760851_zps4d55dffa.jpg

1380109336607_zps4337147f.jpg

From what I make out from your pics ,your enclosure looks great from a human perspective,however from your new snakes perspective,its very exposed ,not a big enough hide to go in and that would be why he is on high alert....also if that climbing log isn't held down ,and is just leaning on the wall ,that could become a falling object ..if its firmly in place ignore what I just said.

From what I make out from your pics ,your enclosure looks great from a human perspective,however from your new snakes perspective,its very exposed ,not a big enough hide to go in and that would be why he is on high alert....also if that climbing log isn't held down ,and is just leaning on the wall ,that could become a falling object ..if its firmly in place ignore what I just said.

And also from what i know, Bredli's like more floor space and less climbing room, like a 4x2x2 foot or 6x2x2, something to consider :)

I will come out and say what everyone else has forgotten about . Very nice snake and congratulations. Saying that consider what the others have said, also is the heating coming from above? If so you may want a basking shelf for your snake to utilise the hot spot.

I think he has a heat cable behind the rock wall by the looks of it... Anyways regardless of negativity, Kingston is a beautiful python and hope you have some great times together :)

Bredli's are beautiful snakes. They were my first carpet python. The enclosure is awesome, but you will need a hide. I had a large vertical enclosure (fair bit bigger) and my girl loved it. If you can't put a hide in there, then put in a screen of fake plants hanging from the ceiling for it to hide behind. Do the same at the bottom with fake plants. If you can't see it behind the plants then the hide is working just fine. Never pull your snake out if it has locked its body in to say don't touch me. I learnt that the hard way with my bredli and she was never the same again after that first bite. She was 5 years old and had never bitten. I went to get her out even though she wasn't keen and she slowly put her mouth around my hand. Didn't let go for 30minutes and although it didn't hurt, she was obviously effected by it. She was never placid again after that day. Moral of the story is don't force it, just give it some room if it needs time alone.

Errm, see this is a problem right here ,the confusion of some people reading the posts that have been made ...there isn't any negativity ,he asked a few questions ,and some obvious answers were made ...just because some of us didn't give him a high 5 on becoming a new 'snake' owner ,doesnt mean we were giving him a negative attitude either ...I hope he takes on board the value of what's been said ...if he asked for a congratulating post on his new purchase ,he wouldve worded it that way and not asked for opinions..

Awesome snakes Bredli i own 3 myself not as big as yours tho! All 3 love climbing and are always coiled up like GTPs ontop of each other!
Your tank looks awesome, i really like the fake wall!

I can see a hide rock down the bottom for those who didnt see it!

And also from what i know, Bredli's like more floor space and less climbing room, like a 4x2x2 foot or 6x2x2, something to consider :)

I disagree with Beck: I've got bredli's who'll sleep in the branches on a warm night. In my experience, they're climbers like many of their relatives.

My best guess from photos is that he's got a heat lamp coming from above? Either way, mine like a nice secure place to bask where they can either 1. get their whole body under the heat at once or 2. get half their body in the heat and spread out (allows them to regulate). They like having something they can wrap their tail around, or something they can press up against when they're basking. It makes them feel secure. Your enclosure looks like it's got that covered.

Also, with my carpets, even my best handlers have been known to wrap about the branches and not let go. Once they grab on, I usually don't push the matter. I personally like to have as open a floor as possible so that I can grab them when they're on the floor. You can be patient and wait for them to let go, but the problem is they don't seem to let go with their tail unless they have found somewhere really secure where they're moving to. He may get used to you with time.

Am I the only one who can see a hide on the floor of that tank? Unless he's grown out of it, that hide looks fine.

Errm, see this is a problem right here ,the confusion of some people reading the posts that have been made ...there isn't any negativity ,he asked a few questions ,and some obvious answers were made ...just because some of us didn't give him a high 5 on becoming a new 'snake' owner ,doesnt mean we were giving him a negative attitude either ...I hope he takes on board the value of what's been said ...if he asked for a congratulating post on his new purchase ,he wouldve worded it that way and not asked for opinions..

Alright, fair enough. Negativity was a word that shouldn't have been used. I posted without completely reading the whole post. Whilst completely reading the thread it can be seen that they was no negative attitude just help... Sorry.

In all honesty its going to be a nightmare getting him out of that tank of he doesn't want to come. The tank looks great but it may not be practical for a large snake, I have all my big bredlis in 4x2x2s and they can be hard enough to pull out of them when they're angry.

Am I the only one who can see a hide on the floor of that tank? Unless he's grown out of it, that hide looks fine.

You're not the only one :)

I personally love the tank! I think that some leafy plants - as suggested above - would complete the enclosure well :)

Bredli's are actually considered a semi arboreal species and most of them love nothing more than climbing. Mine are all over their branches whenever they're out of their hides.
4x2x2's are great for them, but that's pretty much a standard enclosure size for any adult Morelia.
I've got mine in 4x2x2's right now but have 4x4x2's under construction for them in the garage as they're gonna absolutely love all that climbing room once they're at the 9ft long stage :)

Thanks very much for the responses :)

He is a beutiful boy, and the enclosure in question came with him as part of the swap for my lil guy and 2 enclosures.

It has a ceramic heat lamp in the top, and a poorly fitted mat on the bottom which I removed. There is the hide down in the corner, and he can fit in it just.

Only had it close to a week now, so was keen to hear any ideas on improving. I think a larger basking area on the second shelf from the top would be good, and as mentioned some hanging leaves etc.

He is in my room, so has me around him more, but come from a house with 6 kids and cats and dogs.

He ate the rat offered on Monday, tentatively though, and i left it on the floor.

For my coastal I prob will go to a 4x2x2 for more floor space, she's 2 atm.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, out of curiosity how would the 2 yr old female go with him in the same enclosure ?

Thanks very much for the responses :)

He is a beutiful boy, and the enclosure in question came with him as part of the swap for my lil guy and 2 enclosures.

It has a ceramic heat lamp in the top, and a poorly fitted mat on the bottom which I removed. There is the hide down in the corner, and he can fit in it just.

Only had it close to a week now, so was keen to hear any ideas on improving. I think a larger basking area on the second shelf from the top would be good, and as mentioned some hanging leaves etc.

He is in my room, so has me around him more, but come from a house with 6 kids and cats and dogs.

He ate the rat offered on Monday, tentatively though, and i left it on the floor.

For my coastal I prob will go to a 4x2x2 for more floor space, she's 2 atm.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, out of curiosity how would the 2 yr old female go with him in the same enclosure ?

You run the risk of one snake attacking and killing the other any time you introduce two snakes, regardless of sex or breed.
Also you have to think - 2 snakes that can quite easily reach the three metre mark in a 4x2x2 is a recipe for stressed and aggravated animals, especially considering they are different breeds and never met before.
Sure you can do it, but at the end of the day I just can't see any form of benefit from it for you or your snakes and the risks involved are quite high...

Thank for the sound advice there matey, I was probably more thinking out loud.

I would like to try breeding the 2 in time, but need to do a lot more research first.

I got the complete carpet python guide last week, great book !

That was my first thought. He's a beautiful snake, but looks a little exposed there. Agree with previous comments about perhaps less climbing room, and a few hides in there

I would like to try breeding the 2 in time, but need to do a lot more research first.

Do you mean you intend to breed the Bredli to the Coastal? I sincerely hope not...

You should find a nice female bredli or a male coastal if you plan on breeding. Cross breeding just because you have a male and female isnt a good idea, especially if the cross is just to see what happens. Jags have the issue of the x bred siblings not selling and being uthed as no one wants them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back