Your Family and Your Collection.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alchemy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,
i have been watching a program on a guy who keep Venomous Snake & Big pythons in America. His children's room is the next room to his Collection.
i have kept Non Venomous snakes for around 7 years. I have taken the next step to move onto Venomous snakes. I have had to have safety plans on the walls all the enclosures must locked by law I don't mind basic safety. It doesn't state you need to have them in a locked room. I am going to put a new door on the room so I can lock it top an bottom to ensure my Children can't access the room. My Enclosure keys will be locked in a deprecate safe with a key pad combination, and keys will be kept with me as a
extra safety measure.
What saftey steps does everyone else take. And can anyone give
me som pointer on were I might be able to make it more secure.
Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I also have Preasure Bandages in the room an extras in kitchen & and living room.

Hi,
i have been watching a program on a guy who keep Venomous Snake & Big pythons in America. His children's room is the next room to his Collection.
i have kept Non Venomous snakes for around 7 years. I have taken the next step to move onto Venomous snakes. I have had to have safety plans on the walls all the enclosures must locked by law I don't mind basic safety. It doesn't state you need to have them in a locked room. I am going to put a new door on the room so I can lock it top an bottom to ensure my Children can't access the room. My Enclosure keys will be locked in a deprecate safe with a key pad combination, and keys will be kept with me as a
extra safety measure.
What saftey steps does everyone else take. And can anyone give
me som pointer on were I might be able to make it more secure.
Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I also have Preasure Bandages in the room an extras in kitchen & and living room.

I watched that also. What an arrogant fool that guy was!

I myself would never keep them but if I were ever to share the house with venomous snakes I would want an 'escape proof' room (or as close as it could possibly ever get!).

My concern would be the potential for escape into the house with the kids. We hear all the time of pythons getting out, I imagine it is just as easy for a mishap with vens as well.

Put one of those door seals on the bottom of the door if you plan to keep neonates ect. Even yearlings+ of most species could get under a door with ease.

Making a cabinet for tubs to go in is an extra security measure if you're really serious about it - Snakes are locked in tubs, inside a cabinet, inside a room.

You'll be paying far more attention to the elapids when putting them away then with your pythons, but accidents can happen - as long as the room is escape proof and you only open the door when you need to get in and out you will be fine.

Ok thanks im buying a new Door the old one is rubbish. So I can get better locks

If the door is always closed and there is a draught stopper on the bottom will there be any form of ventilation to get rid of the stale air? Also some rooms get warmer than others when closed up. It might not be an issue but something worth considering. Good luck with them. What are you looking at keeping first off?

Aaron

I remember watching a show like that with huge burmese pythons, a few 5-6m pythons with 2 year olds running around :p

What is the show called Alchemy?

Dangerous animal obsession? Can some one else remember

EDIT:

It was actually Fatal Attractions: Intervention on Animal Planet. I watch too much TV :S

Last edited:
Thanks mate. I watch things when I get up and while I'm working driving a taxi can be slow in the country. So I'm most of time tierd lol.

- - - Updated - - -

There are windows but I will have to look at getting Ali Window guards to stop people gaining acess

...There are windows but I will have to look at getting Ali Window guards to stop people gaining acess

What about ventilation through the ceiling via a bathroom type extractor fan?

I care for injured/ousted vens here in Canberra, and they go in a locked box, ventilation on the side, mesh on top of the 1.2m tall box, with a padlock on the outside. If I was keeping one personally, I would use a similar set up, with some front glass NOT sliding, and the only access through the top at least a metre above the bottom. Probably 2 halves on top so I could get to either end, but both secured with a padlock. Don't really need anything more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back