My stimmy laid eggs but im having alot of trouble

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

macca05

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey everyone,
Im from WA and have owned snakes for about 9 yrs. ive got 2 stimmys and a carpet python and have had my stimmys in the same enclosure for quite a few yrs with them never laying eggs. I have them sexed a few yrs back and although he had trouble with one he was still convinced he was male. They have not reproduced until this yr i noticed she was acting very strange that i know something wasnt right. I thought she may have been pregnant but was told she may just be bloated. But sure enough two days later she laid the eggs. I made an incubator and proceeded to transfer them across. I thought i was having major trouble getting to temps and humity i thought was at 93% but when i checked with another gauge a day later i wasaround the 29c mark and not 25c as my gauge was telling me. So i upped it to 31c and it has been for a day now. Most of the eggs are starting to look like they are getting really wet from the bottom up. They are sitting in vermiculite but its not soaking at all and another hygro is saying 80%
i kinda know 3 eggs were no good as she did not have them in her clutch but i still transferred them. Does anyone have any suggestions. I feel really bad as i was not expecting it and i feel i should of just left them with her. They had deflated a bit after i transferred them and i have not been successful in inflating them. Should i be adding more water. I will try post a pic soon so you can see. Sorry for the long message.
Macca

Ok will take pics now. Didnt want to open them up again but i will :(

- - - Updated - - -

OK here goes. I hope the pics work

Gracie with her eggs
Two Slugs
First transferred to incubator
Image from today
Image from today
Image from today

Sorry I dont know how to get thumbnail images from dropbox so I can only link to words for now. Will work that out one day.

Im sure you can see in the 2nd photo 3 eggs were not too good. Well they are the ones that are nearly gone. They are making the incubator smell too.

Thanks

Did you candle them , what vermiculite to water ratio ?

I have tried to candle them with the only available small torch i have and i can only see two (of the clump of 3) that have veins. I did not do it exactly perfect but I would say it was close to 50/50. There is no excess water in there at all which is why it confuses me that they look wet or maybe thats just the dead stage. If I hold the vermiculite in my hand it is wet but not so it drains if i squeeze it

- - - Updated - - -

I found a uk site that had pics of eggs and one egg looked very similar to mine and the members were saying too much water so i couldnt help myself and had to check the vermiculite. So i carefully removed all eggs. And when grabbing the vermiculite and squeeze it, no water drips out it clumps together and then when u drop it it pretty much falls apart.
While i had them out i took the time to candle the bad ones and too my surprise the egg i was going to throw in the bin is full of healthy veins. Can the smell be the vermiculite not airing. Im not giving up. I am a real animal lover and i feel its my duty to make sure the ones that are fertile have a good chance.
instead of trusting someone elses word i should of trusted my instincs and believed she was pregnant.
sorry for raving on but its my way of learning :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back