what wood to use as a perch for gtp?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2 cents plus gst.
Offer a natural perch which varies in shape and diameter that way the animal isn't coiled around something that is uniform in size.To my way of thinking a uniform diameter perch just doesn't make sense for the well being of the animal.

Lot of diehard PVC lovers will disagree with you Ramsay, so would all plumbers. LOL I am not one of them.

Shed and pooped tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_3499.jpg
    IMG_3499.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 118
ok so it doesn't matter what i use as long as the perches are of different thickness i think i'll just use wood it cost more but i only need to buy it once so what a good reasonable price wood and where the best place to get it from Waterrat what wood do you use
also how do i install the perches in the enclosure so i can remove it easily like without screwing it in

If you look at my second picture closely you will see two pieces of plywood attached to the end of the plastic tub with silicon and I then routed out some grooves to slot the branches in. My branches are from my backyard but if you wanted you could use dowel from a hardware shop and use curtain rod holders to secure the dowel in place. Another option is burn holes in the end and slide the dowel through. [MENTION=36639]imnow2010[/MENTION]

I was thinking with pvc as perches, could you thread heat cord though them to make a heated perch, or is it to risky

I use natural branches from the bush. Just remove the bark then let them boil and soak to kill the bugs and they're good to go.

I use natural branches from the bush. Just let them boil and soak to kill the bugs and they're good to go.
I understand why some people choose to boil or spray or cook there branches but I do not and have had no problems yet.

or what about wrapping sandpaper around the pvc pipe that should stop it from being slippery and it will give it a nice look too or would sandpaper be to rough for the snake

or what about wrapping sandpaper around the pvc pipe that should stop it from being slippery and it will give it a nice look too or would sandpaper be to rough for the snake

There is no need for the sand paper. If your worried about it being to smooth go with natural wood.

Gee - sandpaper - of course your snake would love to curl up on crushed glass or aluminium oxide - would do wonders for their ventrals! No need to do anything to destroy "bugs" (whatever they are...). Boiling, bleaching, baking, soaking, spraying, poisoning, x-raying, spray painting, plastic coating, scorching, and all the other things people think are necessary to ensure a safe environment for your snake, are totally unnecessary. I truly wonder sometimes what people think snakes do to avoid all the imaginary problems keepers invent to keep themselves occupied. It has to be for the keeper's benefit, it certainly has no benefit for the snake. All it does is rob it of another direct and nice-smelling source of environmental stimulation. Why give it something natural when you can supply something that smells like disinfectant, paint, plastic, or some other toxic chemical?

Jamie

I know this thread is mostly about natural ideas but if you want something to add a bit more grip to PVC, I just recently bought some 90mm pipe and glued astroturf to it. Others will disagree but I personally think it looks pretty good, or at least much better than plain pipe.

I know this thread is mostly about natural ideas but if you want something to add a bit more grip to PVC, I just recently bought some 90mm pipe and glued astroturf to it. Others will disagree but I personally think it looks pretty good, or at least much better than plain pipe.
Branch covered in moss hey? Makes sense from where they come from

- - - Updated - - -

That's actually a pretty good/cool idea

"Branch covered in moss hey? Makes sense from where they come from"

Actually, they don't like to rest on mossy branches princess. Not in the wild and not in captivity. It has been tested (by me and others) and after all the effort of growing live moss on branches in a terrarium, the branches were discarded because the GTPs were avoiding them. There you go. :)

is it fine to use pine dowel theres tas oak dowel but its more expensive is it only treated pine that is bad to use

"Branch covered in moss hey? Makes sense from where they come from"

Actually, they don't like to rest on mossy branches princess. Not in the wild and not in captivity. It has been tested (by me and others) and after all the effort of growing live moss on branches in a terrarium, the branches were discarded because the GTPs were avoiding them. There you go. :)
I was saying that because that's kind of what and AstroTurf covered branch would kind of look like in my opinion...:|
I cant really picture one resting on one. Wonder what they think of [MENTION=21544]saximus[/MENTION] idea...

Last edited:
Fresh cut Ghost Gum, Snow Gum or similar white gums. They hold their bark for ages and as they are relatively smooth, they are easy to keep clean. Provide a great contrast for the tenant(s).

Interesting subject
Natural V’s PVC

I’ve made up my mind on the information above.

Only thing I am unsure about is the diameters.
From Neo to adults.
Any guidelines?
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back