My Lacey "Training" Experience

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies all! I've been trying to describe exactly what crocdoc has mentioned above while using an incorrect term for the eye movement..contracting pupils is what I should have mentioned also.

Hopefully, there's been no misinturpreted Lacie bites in the interim:).

I'm going to be the odd one out here, but my monitors' pupils contract, rather than dilate, before they bite something. The pupil goes from being large and dark to a pinhole. Sure sign of trouble if you're handling one rather than feeding it.

Apologies all! I've been trying to describe exactly what crocdoc has mentioned above while using an incorrect term for the eye movement..contracting pupils is what I should have mentioned also.

Hopefully, there's been no misinturpreted Lacie bites in the interim:).

What we term in the parrot world as "eye pinning" where the pupil contracts to the size of a pin head :) It says so much behaviourally!

What we term in the parrot world as "eye pinning" where the pupil contracts to the size of a pin head :) It says so much behaviourally!

Great expression, describes it perfectly:)! Lacies behave like birds in so many ways IMO.

I've always compared their behaviours to birds, especially when it comes to the way they eyeball things. I used to work with an African grey parrot, many years ago, and often my lace monitors' eyes remind me of that. The male gets the same pinhole look when the female is in a reproductive cycle and he is concentrating his tongue flicking on part of her body.

Thanks for contributing David. I thought you'd disappeared from this forum. I suppose the dilation/contraction thing is a good sign then because it means he/she is most likely not looking for food during our little interactions. I'm sorry all I've been a bit lazy with my training so haven't had a chance to try again. The up side though is that I got a GoPro from Santa so I might be able to start filming it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back