Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane09

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd say hi as I am new here and have spent the last few months doing my research into owning my very own snake *excited*. I have browsed these forums before and finally thought I might become a part of your awesome society :)

For starters I have never really owned my own snake before but have a reptile license and have "looked after" a friends coastal carpet before (man he was bitey lol). Was just after some hints on a good starter as I am finding it difficult to find a breed that I like as I am extremely picky and do not want to get one that I will not want after a few months, I would like to eventually own a GTP but know I should start with something else.

Any thoughts or advice?

welcome mate.
I would suggest something that is easy to feed and generally not too big. Something that should be pretty tolerant of handling also is vital.
I would say a Stimsons python or a Spotted Python. Childrens Python are also lovely but some hatchies may be hard to feed. These snakes are small also spotteds only get to 1.3-1.5m and they are the largest of these species.

Cool appreciate your input :)

Do you have any experience or knowledge on Albino Darwin pythons? They caught my eye as they are different, I seem to be a sucker for vibrant colour. Either that or a hypo bredli...

I don't know :( there are too many to choose from lol

bredli can get pretty big. Albino Darwin are a great choice but are pretty expensive compared to the other species. They are good handlers but some younger ones can be a bit nippy. Most are awesome. They don't get too big either! Good choice I would say

Hi and welcome :)

You've got the right idea there in choosing something you love and not just what is 'the best first' snake to get.

It really does help to look at things like what size snake you would like/can house and what budget you have.

We got my daughter a Bredli for her first snake when she turned 4 and she is the most placid thing. She can literally pat her head like a dog and she won't even blink. She also has a coastal yearling who has never snapped at all but he does move like lightning compared to the Bredli so each snake is different.

You'll find an advocate for almost each as a good first choice but in the end you are the one who has to look at it every day for the next couple of decades (or longer?!).

:D

Well my mate has a breeding pair of Jungles and they are around 2m long and I would be comfortable to one day have mine around that size, I have 2 set ups (converted fish tanks) and will be building another before I go back to work. My only other problem is I live in Bowen and I'm the kind of person who really does have to see what I am buying in person and there isn't anything close to me with regards to pythons. Is it safe to buy from a breeder and have the snake shipped or am I just being over sceptical?

Well my mate has a breeding pair of Jungles and they are around 2m long and I would be comfortable to one day have mine around that size, I have 2 set ups (converted fish tanks) and will be building another before I go back to work. My only other problem is I live in Bowen and I'm the kind of person who really does have to see what I am buying in person and there isn't anything close to me with regards to pythons. Is it safe to buy from a breeder and have the snake shipped or am I just being over sceptical?

I've only ever bought in person but there are plenty of reputable breeders who freight, just a matter of researching who is genuine /trustworthy and who isn't I think.

If it's a hatchling you're after then a 'click-clack' will do for any species. A Bredli or a Darwin would fit your bill for average size also so that doesn't rule them out.

Our Bredli isn't a hypo but she sure is pretty :)

vapypahy.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

She is gorgeous, my mate also has himself a pretty bredli but she must be a hypo cos she is a fair bit brighter. I don't know, I may just have to suck it up and take a long drive :)

Cheers for the pic :D

She is gorgeous, my mate also has himself a pretty bredli but she must be a hypo cos she is a fair bit brighter. I don't know, I may just have to suck it up and take a long drive :)

Cheers for the pic :D

A Hypo will be missing the black 'outline' you can see on mine (so just brown/red and cream).

Whichever you decide on make sure you post some pics up when you get it.
Good luck :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back