TARDIS Enclosure Project

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 16446

Reaction score
After some suggestions and in time with Dr Who's 50th Anniversary, I've started designing a TARDIS Enclosure.

Problem is the TARDIS doesn't really lend itself easily for enclosure conversion, eg, you can't see into the real one, it's door opens inwards, it is bloody huge etc.....

So I've built it in 3DS Max and made a few 'conversions' to help it be useful as an enclosure. Some of the blue panels I might try to replace with tinted glass to try and keep the overall blue look but still allow viewing. It will also be about half the width and depth of the real thing, but almost as tall so it will look slender. It's door will also have to be the whole front area, not just half.

So far it has an internal space of 600mm wide, 600mm deep and 2000mm high!

The inside might have to be painted white to show up better for the top windows.

It won't be cheap though. There would be a LOT of work in the detail, construction and painting. A full size TARDIS is possible but would have to be flat pack constructed for buyer assembly inside.

Here's a few pics of the 3D model I have constructed. Open to ideas....

Tardis Enclosure.jpgTardis Enclosure Bottom.jpgTardis Enclosure Top.jpg

Given it is a TARDIS remember it will be bigger on the inside than out; that will confuse the staff of DEC when they come to measure it for sizing for appropriate snake species.

King Sirloin, brilliant idea. Have a look at this link

http://www.*********.au/itm/DR-WHO-...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

this was a life size tardis that someone built and sold on ebay.

I built a cabinet for my snakes. Not sure how to keep the tardis look and still have easy viewing of the snakes but I would love to see your finished product.

I don't come on this forum very often but I would love a pm with photos when you finish the project.

Scrub the last pic.......rebuilt it to scale.

Still not the best design for an enclosure due to limited visibility, but I almost feel like building a full size Tardis now just for the fun of it.

Tardis.jpg

Maybe you could put a see threw blue on the bottom glass.

I've been experimenting with that in the modelling package. It's difficult to choose what is practical while trying to keep the look of the Tardis at the same time. I've considered using blue tinted glass or Perspex for the lower windows and white tinted glass (or white interior) for the top windows.

This thing is so big I can't fit it in the house if I build it. Also considering doing a half size or reduced size to scale version. I want a working light on top and hopefully a speaker and sound setup to make the tardis noise when the light timer comes on....or door is opened/closed whatever...

Window versions.

Tardis 2.jpgTardis 3.jpg

Last edited:
Absolutely love the idea! Would definitely be tricky.. but sounds like you're on the path to the right ideas.
I'm always interested in incorporating Doctor Who into my animals, being a huge Whovian myself, although so far only have aquarium ornaments.

Will be watching for progress!

Maybe you could just put glass on the front door and keep the rest authentic i think everyone would still appreciate it.

This is the best idea ever! You sir are a genius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (And yes it needs that many exclamation marks to display the intensity in which I am stating this)

So I've got a customer? lol.... Not really a genius though, just looking for different ideas.

I've drawn up a 75% scaled version (to fit inside the house) but it is still over a metre square at the base and will only be 10cm short of the ceiling. Might have to be assembled inside...like the real prop was designed to be anyway.

Is there any chance of making it so you can break it into the 4 sides? Judging by your other stuff I'm sure you'd be up to the challenge

Well, I'm not a nerd so I have no idea what a Tardis is. I have a dorky sister in law who would probably love this though! Looks like quite the adventurous build, can't wait to see how it comes together :)

P.s (don't hunt me down y'all, just kidding about the nerd thing!)

Is there any chance of making it so you can break it into the 4 sides? Judging by your other stuff I'm sure you'd be up to the challenge

You mean have the 4 sides as separate panels and assemble them on the base once inside? That's exactly how I plan to build it and how the real one (the prop) was built. The posts will go on first, then the sides get bolted to the posts. Then the roof can go on and hold it all together.

Have you thought about maybe making it the full width of the actual tardis and making it into 2 GTP enclosures? You could put mirrors on the left and right walls to make it "bigger on the inside"

The only problem I have with making a full size Tardis is..... well.....the full size of it. I have no room to store something that big. Even at 75%, I'm going to have to build it in modules to assemble once inside. A full size one would not fit under my ceiling but I'll still be able to walk inside the reduced version.

I like the idea of mirrors, it needs something special. Maybe a two way mirror for the wall/door panels.....allowing you to see in, but from the inside it just reflects what's already in there.

The only problem I have with making a full size Tardis is..... well.....the full size of it. I have no room to store something that big. Even at 75%, I'm going to have to build it in modules to assemble once inside. A full size one would not fit under my ceiling but I'll still be able to walk inside the reduced version.

I like the idea of mirrors, it needs something special. Maybe a two way mirror for the wall/door panels.....allowing you to see in, but from the inside it just reflects what's already in there.

Imagine how that will play with the mind of the snake as it sees multiple other snakes in there with it. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back