Heathcote National Park Herping

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptile_Maniac

Reaction score
Any one know good places to herp around heathcote national park? I heard pipeline road is good.

Thanks,
James

Just get out there! You can see some great herps plus amphibians all through that area

Any of the tracks in the royal or heathcote will produce, just have to do the hard yards and walk them again and again...

Off the top of my head,

Green tree frog, Litoria caerulea
Bleating tree frog, Litoria dentata
Eastern Dwarf tree frog, Litoria fallax
Lesueur's tree frog, Litoria lesueuri
Perons tree frog, Litoria peroni
Tyler's tree frog, Litoria tyleri
Leaf green tree frog, Litoria phyllochroa

and probably a few others I've forgotten it's been a while!

Off the top of my head,

Green tree frog, Litoria caerulea
Bleating tree frog, Litoria dentata
Eastern Dwarf tree frog, Litoria fallax
Lesueur's tree frog, Litoria lesueuri
Perons tree frog, Litoria peroni
Tyler's tree frog, Litoria tyleri
Leaf green tree frog, Litoria phyllochroa

and probably a few others I've forgotten it's been a while!

Wow thats a lot of frogs! How many visits did it take to find all of these frogs? Also, what time is it best to arrive there? Cheers

L. caerulea are all but gone from the area, some isolated small populations and the odd one turning up on someones doorstep every few years but good luck going out and finding one in the bush... there are many more frogs in the area though, Giant Burrowing Frogs, Red Crown Toadlets are still common around the place.

There're spots for green tree frogs! Just have to look harder. Not sure what the weather's been like but warm rainy nights for all frogs I've found is best. After storms!

Yeah Heathcote and the Royal offer a plethora of driving and walking options for herping. Depends what you are hoping to find in terms of nocturnal and diurnal species. I find the night time shifts are the the most productive, so take a decent camera. 9pm through to about 1am is ideal during summer.

L. caerulea are all but gone from the area, some isolated small populations and the odd one turning up on someones doorstep every few years but good luck going out and finding one in the bush... there are many more frogs in the area though, Giant Burrowing Frogs, Red Crown Toadlets are still common around the place.

Are most reptiles and amphibians found along the leaf litter and trees or next to the tracks? So will I have to continuously look in the bush in order to spot some?

Last edited:
Of course being a national park you cant turn over logs stones or leaf litter ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back