GoPro Users?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saximus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I recently got myself a GoPro and used it the first time herping the other night. One of the main reasons I got it was for things like diving, spearing and herping where I’d like to be able to take videos and then grab screenshots. In diving particularly this can come in handy because fish are easily spooked when you stick a camera in their face and it can often be tricky to get good shots while maintaining your buoyancy etc.

After reviewing my videos from the other night, I was surprised at how good they came out and I think with a bit of extra practice and understanding, it should be possible to get some good stuff with it. I know it will never be as good as something like a DSLR but I don’t really have the money or the inclination to fork out big dollars on a camera that would be very underutilised at my skill level. Underwater housings for any decent cameras are also quite expensive and, for the time being at least, I’m happy to just have something that is better than my phone. My next goal will also be to video some Adder feedings at 120fps so I can slow their strikes right down to 20% of normal speed. This is obviously something you can’t do with a still camera.

So anyway, I’d like to hear if anyone has any tips I can employ next time and, if you have any, please share any screenshots you have from videos because I’d like to see what level of quality is possible. I’ve heard you can get some pretty high resolution images off 720p or 1080p. The biggest thing I noted from watching over my videos was that I needed to move more slowly and that using a narrow FOV allows screenshots to look much more like regular photos without the fisheye appearance. I also think some high power lighting would be good for night time. My head torch is quite bright and it did a pretty good job but there were still some points where it got a little grainy.

Last edited:
I just bought the gopro black 3+. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but in a couple of weeks we will be hopping in with a 5.3 meter saltie (cage of death- crocosaurus cove) so it will get a run then. I also bought a super light weight 3 meter fibreglass extension so I can put it right in the face of any hots we meet on the road and also explore tree hollows and small caves etc. Also bought some tiny waterproof led torches I can cable tie on. I cant find any lighting system (except a very expensive underwater one) for the gopro. Once I get some footage I will put it up and looking forward to seeing yours Sax.

I am trying to figure out how to use my mates hero 3. It films in 4:3 and small resolution. I want full HD 16:9.
How do I change these settings?

I am trying to figure out how to use my mates hero 3. It films in 4:3 and small resolution. I want full HD 16:9.
How do I change these settings?

The easiest way is to get the app. You can change all of the settings directly through that and it lets you see what the camera is seeing so you can set it up properly.

Thanks [MENTION=26441]SteveNT[/MENTION], I like your idea of cable tying small LED torches to it. That way you guarantee you won't create any shadows by getting the camera in between your target and the light source. 3m extension is huge. Is it telescopic at all? I've just got a small telescopic one that goes out to something like 19". It helps a lot with stability.

thanks sax. Where do I get the app from and is it an app i can run on my computer or phone?

Phone. I'm pretty sure it's available for both Android and Apple.
You can also do it through the camera itself by using the menu button on front and the capture button on top but it's much less simple.

Can someone please film a short vid of their snakes or something so I can get an idea of the quality.

Thanks, Dan

Sax, the extension is 3 part, 1 meter to three. The guy is selling so many to tradies he is now producing 6 and 7 meter versions. Wanna look into the celing, or on the roof, etc without getting up there? And a non conducting medium?

That's not what my brain said ha ha. My instant thought was safe close ups and getting the camera into hard to reach places.! Not cheap though. I can pm you details, if you like. It wouldn't be hard to fabricate your own I reckon but I am currently into quick fixes. :)

When diving the use of a red filter (I think you can get them on amazon.) Will stop your photos from deeper down being overly blue.

My next goal will also be to video some Adder feedings at 120fps so I can slow their strikes right down to 20% of normal speed.

I’ve heard you can get some pretty high resolution images off 720p or 1080p.

You won't be able to get great high res images off 1080p video... it's equal to an image from a 2 megapixel camera but even more compressed. They will be ok if you just plan to use them on the web or print them smallish. If you want to grab screenshots from video you would be better to shoot your video in 2.7k (presuming you have a hero 3 black) as it will give you much larger shots, though still nowhere near a good DSLR. 2.7k video however needs a pretty powerful computer to play smoothly.

Have you considered the 12 megapixel stills on the gopro. You could set your camera to timelapse, say 2 photos a second, and just leave your camera on for the whole dive if photos are just what you are after. Another option say with the adder feeding would be to use the burst photo mode of 30 shots (12 megapixels) a second...not even a DSLR can do that!! Unfortunately it's only for a second! Alternatively the low res video mode that shoots at 240 frames a second is fine for youtube but you'll need good light.

You might find this page useful as it has some good info
Understanding Your New GoPro

I love my gopro as it's opened up a whole new world to me. Started with the hero 1 and last year got the hero 3 black. If you are careful what you do with it and how you frame things and use the available light you can get some great footage, but get some extra Hard drives, it will fill them up really quickly.

I don't dive but I snorkel a bit since I got the gopro. You can see some of my videos here:pseudechis - YouTube
There are some playlists for underwater and gopro

All the underwater ones are with a gopro, the vast majority except the most recent ones were shot on the early hero 1. Obviously I edit, scale down the size and compress before uploading to youtube which compresses them again so it's a bit hard to judge online. I'm still astonished when I download footage just what those little cameras can produce. Having said that you also get loads of rubbish in between the good stuff!

You've worked out the importance of moving slowly.... if it's still a problem and you have good light try the 1080p 60fps mode. The 60 frames a second will help to take some shake out of the video, but if you are diving deep or the waters murky you may not have enough light for this.

Wow some awesome tips in there thanks very much. Unfortunately I've only got the silver so no 2.7k. The time lapse idea sounds pretty smart though. I like blowing up my really good diving ones for canvases so it's probably the best option. With the Adders I'm mostly just interested in the slow mo than screenshotting though

Some good pointers there.
I've only got the Hero2, and I need to get the dive housing.
The fish eye lens on the housing just doesn't allow for quality underwater focusing.

This one is on a small day holding the camera
[video=youtube;9SQRIjdugHw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SQRIjdugHw[/video]

This is what I meant by underwater quality with the standard Hero2 housing and the need to upgrade to a flat lens dive housing.
Those with Hero3 and Hero3+ will not have to worry as they come standard with the flat lens housing.

[video=youtube;xCujhfj6fh4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCujhfj6fh4[/video]

i use the sony action cam. however not for herping or anything like that. i use it with the handlebar mount on my bike, because of that i don't need any amazing frame rates. It's good mainly for the 'watch' extension (where you can see a live feed of what the camera is seeing via a LCD display, and that it has a 'steady shot' which reduces distortion due to vibration

Wow Marc, you need one of my big black bags mate.. Never break on you.
This is my Go-Pro effort from yesterday
[video=youtube;D04SrhCI8pM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D04SrhCI8pM[/video]

Wow Marc, you need one of my big black bags mate.. Never break on you.
That was the very last time I used that frame type. The local cheap shop had landing nets where you can slide the handle in for storage and transport. I tried one and it is perfect. When I went there next they were on special for $5. I now have a large cupboard full of them.
The actual bags I have made up. Unlike most they are almost two meters deep. The original depth was a mistake but they worked so well ( especially with cranky browns ) that the 2 meter depth is now my standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back