New to pythons and need a few answers.??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Native

Reaction score
G"Day All,
I was fortunate enough to be given a python and enclosure(reptile one) as a mate was going oversees in a hurry and he had to move her along and as it would be I was still doing my homework and getting licenced, next minute I have a Bredli python with all the trimmings at home with me.
Im told she is female.
I have been feeding her fuzzy mice(bout an inch long) x1 Tuesday and Friday which she readily seeks out and consumes.
I was told she was 2 years old but she seems a bit smaller than what im seeing here,she is around the 850-900mm mark and at her widest part around 25mm thick.
I have had her for around 11 days now and have yet to see her do a number 2.???
Do you think im feeding her enough or too much.??
she is very friendly and my 9 yo handles her twice a day, Is this to much, he handles her about 10 minutes each time.
Now please tell what a hypo bredli is.??
What is a jag.??
I know its probably basic to some but im learning slowly.
Regards
Native

G"Day All,
I was fortunate enough to be given a python and enclosure(reptile one) as a mate was going oversees in a hurry and he had to move her along and as it would be I was still doing my homework and getting licenced, next minute I have a Bredli python with all the trimmings at home with me.
Im told she is female.
I have been feeding her fuzzy mice(bout an inch long) x1 Tuesday and Friday which she readily seeks out and consumes.
I was told she was 2 years old but she seems a bit smaller than what im seeing here,she is around the 850-900mm mark and at her widest part around 25mm thick.
I have had her for around 11 days now and have yet to see her do a number 2.???
Do you think im feeding her enough or too much.??
she is very friendly and my 9 yo handles her twice a day, Is this to much, he handles her about 10 minutes each time.
Now please tell what a hypo bredli is.??
What is a jag.??
I know its probably basic to some but im learning slowly.
Regards
Native

That is one underfed python, my bredli at 2 years was on small -med rats.( This is not your fault)
The reason your not seeing poo is posibly theres not enough waste passing through. Feed him 2 fuzzies a week until you have none left then go up a size for one packet then up again for the next. He needs some food.

I wouldnt handle whilst its digesting as thwy can regurgitate.
A hypo bredli is one with highly reduced black
A jag is a genetic mutation someone else will discribe that better.
Sorry for the short sentences im on a phone

newly hatched bredli start on fuzzy mice, weigh her and offer food items around 15-20% of her body weight weekly for at least a few months.

I think at 2 years old you should be feeding her once a week at the most but even out to once month but larger than you are feeding her. It sounds a little smaller than most for its age. She will defecate when she is ready and may not really have any waste with the small meals she is getting. I think twice a day a little too much to handle a snake especially one that you have only just got. You should also not handle her for 24 hours after she has eaten. A hypo is short for hypomelanistic which means reduced amount of black pigment so in a Bredli they will be a lot lighter than usual Bredli's. A Jag is short for jaguar which is referring to the pattern of usually jungle or coastal carpets but are being crossed with Bredli these days. There is a lot more to tell you about Jag's but probably will just leave you with more questions and may turn your thread into a debate so I might leave it at that for now. It sounds like you have a fair bit of research to do in a very short space of time so you would probably be best to sort out the basics of keeping by reading one of two books, "Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons" by Mike Swann or "The Complete Carpet Python" by Dr Justin Julander and Nick Mutton.

Cheers
Andy

Try her on small rats once a week for couple months then up the size to medium... Get some size on her as seems she has been under fed..... Also tell us what heating and temps u have in enclosure ... Then we can help with more info

At that size she could eat a much bigger meal weekly. If she is as big as you say she should be eating something like a weaner rat - a heck of a lot bigger than a fuzzy mouse. Are you sure it isnt a fuzzy rat. A meal about the same width as the width of the pythons body is pretty normal once a week until around 6 foot. It may seem like the feed is too big but they can eat much bigger than that too but equal width is appropriate.
Hypo means a reduced amount of black on the animal than a normal coloured one, sometimes there is no black at all.
Jag is an animal with a gene that affects the pattern drastically leaving the animal with a very reduced pattern. Also known sometimes as an RPM. This term gets confusing as there are RP (Reduced Pattern) animals that as the name suggests have a reduced pattern also, however they are not the same as a Jag. Confusing at first I know.
If you really want to research it further there are a ton of threads on jags (with plenty of bickering) on this forum.
Regardless, it would probably be best to learn as much about the husbandry requirements of the Bredli before bothering yourself with the genetic side of things.

As for it not pooping yet, give it time. Sometimes a week is normal but it can be up to three weeks as they tend to hold on before a shed and make a mess after shedding.

Good luck with the little fella, Bredlis can grow like weeds so you will need a large enclosure in the future. Have you got any photos.

Aaron

There were no replies when I started typing then BAM! sorry for repeating the other info.

Last edited:
picture added

Bredli 002.jpgG"Day All,
Thanks for the replys, I suspected she needed a bigger food source, Ive got 2 fuzzies left then I will go up to something bigger.
What happens if the food source is to big.??
Its really hard to get info and bounce ideas when I don't know any other python owners in my town but suspect there is a few.
I just took a pic of her and will try to down load.
Regards
Native

Last edited:
G"Day All,
Thanks for the replys, I suspected she needed a bigger food source, Ive got 2 fuzzies left then I will go up to something bigger.
Its really hard to get info and bounce ideas when I don't know any other python owners in my town but suspect there is a few.
Regards
Native
If you use the 15% of her body weight as a guide she should be fine.

G"Day,
I have a like dome type rock with a heat mat under it and as far as I can tell theres no thermostate on it, she sleeps under there out of sight at times but likes to hang in the tree branches.
I have no idea of the internal temperature.
Native

Your gonna get a lot of info from experienced keepers, some will make it more technical than it has to be, especially for a new keeper. Good luck!

Please keep it coming ,Im learning lots here.
Thankyou
Native

Shes a nice looking Bredli.
There is a thread here called "Share photos of your snakes feeding" it might give you an idea of feed sizes compared to body size. There might also be a few comments there with good info too if you're lucky

Last edited:
View attachment 304416G"Day All,
Regards
Native

That looks like a heat rock in the picture? If it is be careful they are very well known for spot heating and burning reptiles, a heat cord/ or heatmat (not the green ones) attached to a thermostat is much safer.
They can eat fairly large food items just make sure they have enough heat to digest efficiently

tysy4u9e.jpg
9u2a4e2u.jpg

This is two pictures of my snakes feeding which may give you an idea but maybe check out the feeding thread as well. They are a Bhp eating a rabbit and a woma eating a rat.

Nice looking Bredli Native. I have 2 & yes the learning curve is VERY steep/ By the look of that pic i'd have her on at least weaner rats but the 15% guide is the best way to go.
The 2 books that andynic07 recommended are a MUST.

How sure are you that she's 2 years old? She sounds like a similar size to my yearling Bredli. I've just moved her up to large mice because the size difference between weaner and hopper rats where I get mine from seems pretty huge.

You should also invest in a heat chord and tile set up at the very least. Aim for 32-34 degrees in the hot area. You set up a chord, tile and thermostat for under $50 if you look on eBay

Wow [MENTION=39685]Native[/MENTION] !!! What a score lol. I would be peaking out :) while you're waiting to buy your books, try googling care sheets for bredli. There are loads out there. I still use them all the time for my coastal, ( I'm a bit of a paranoid owner) you should be able to get your temp requirements and the like from these. Good luck with it all :)

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk

Oh yeah, i forgot about the care sheets. I think i've got just about every one there is & refer to them all the time just for conformation on different things, can't have too much info.
One thing i do know is that the info & advice i have received on this forum has really been invaluable.

Wow.

First off. No offense but I feel sorry for the poor snake.

Maybe someone could catch up in person and relay the basics to you.

Its not necessary but maybe get her vet checked just to make sure nothing majorly is wrong prior to anymore investment.

Firstly go to a local library and see if they have any books on carpet pythons. If not, Google complete carpet pythons. Might be a little pricey but well worth the investment.

Don't waste your time with the remaining food supply. Upgrade her straight away. Be careful she might be a little guts and could over eat so stick to one a week or fortnight.

As mentioned above remove the heat rock now. Where you are located you may be able to naturally heat her for a week or two but will need an artificial heat source soon to help digestion etc.

Overall be prepared to spend $200 in the next week - fortnight to do these upgrades.

If you decided to sell her. Please inform the new owner of the possible issues with her.

Don't hesitate asking stupid questions. A lot have been asked before try to search and if no luck or unsure still. Ask away. Myself and a lot of people on here care about the animals well being and will help to ensure it and also get you addicted to the hobby.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Oh yeah, i forgot about the care sheets. I think i've got just about every one there is & refer to them all the time just for conformation on different things, can't have too much info.
One thing i do know is that the info & advice i have received on this forum has really been invaluable.

Lol pappa smurf :) if I didn't have care sheets everyone I know would . I refer to them at least once a week, you know in case.I've forgotten something that's already SEARED into my brain. Best ever things for peace of mind :)

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk

- - - Updated - - -

G"Day,
I have a like dome type rock with a heat mat under it and as far as I can tell theres no thermostate on it, she sleeps under there out of sight at times but likes to hang in the tree branches.
I have no idea of the internal temperature.
Native
Do you have a reptile shop or aquarium supply nearby? You definitely need to get a thermostat and thermometer for the enclosure, the shop will be able to show you how it works. You needn't spend massive amounts to start with but you really do need some way to monitor temps in the enclosure. I don't keep bredlis so I don't know their proper temps, but someone here will be able to help. Or you'll be able to find it on a care sheet
:) you can get basic thermostats pretty cheap, round 25-30 bucks and you can also get digital probe thermometers for about 10 bucks from stores. At least that'll give you the basics anyway, and the means to adjust anything that needs adjusting :) Hope that helps native.
Nothing like being chucked in the deep end hey?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back