Turtle filters

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mjcarpentry

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Been looking around to find the perfect filter for my turtles. I have a four foot tank and I'm wanting to have a few fish in there aswell. I know that biggest I can afford is the way to go but I was more thinking is sump filters a better option than the canister ones.

Sump is better the hole point of a sump is there Is more water volume and there is a few different options in a sump I'm not sure what you would do but if you made a refugium sump thats what I'm going to use for my water dragon

I would recommend the Aqua One Nautilus 2700. Great filter for a turtle. You need something that cycles your tank at least 4x an hour minimum. How big is your turtle? I am not sure how sump filters work, so I can not comment on them.

It's a glass box with sections dividing it with filter media in the sections and a submersible pump that goes back to the tank I think turtles need around.10x per hour not 4x cause of the big load they produce

- - - Updated - - -

A breeder I know uses a sump for his turtles

yeah we are using the sumps where I work and notice how simple they are and how good of a good they produce. In saying that though have heaps of customers saying how their canister filters work great. I have 2 turtles only a couple weeks old atm.

No need to have a sump filter for two turtles. I use the aquaone for two full size elns in a 650l tank with no problems at all.

It is 4x minimum. My filter only cycles 5x and keeps the water nice and clean, obviously, more maintenance (weekly water changes, etc). I am in the middle of buying a Aqua One Nautilus 2700 at the moment for my turtle.

If you do use a canister filter and find that the water coming out of the filter is too strong, get a spray bar and face it towards the glass. This minimises stress on your turtles also.

Last edited:
It is 4x minimum. My filter only cycles 5x and keeps the water nice and clean, obviously, more maintenance (weekly water changes, etc). I am in the middle of buying a Aqua One Nautilus 2700 at the moment for my turtle.

If you do use a canister filter and find that the water coming out of the filter is too strong, get a spray bar and face it towards the glass. This minimises stress on your turtles also.

It is 5-7 times minimum.
Anything less is like living in a half-flushed toilet ;)

Thanks for the advice guys. One more question. What fish do you find last the longest with the turtles.

It is 5-7 times minimum.
Anything less is like living in a half-flushed toilet ;)

I was told on *Australian Freshwater Turtles Forum* by a very experienced breeder and also the creator of the forum that it was 4x minimum. Obviously bigger the better. The smaller your filter the more maintenance you will need to do on your tank. :p

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the advice guys. One more question. What fish do you find last the longest with the turtles.

I keep 2 Britlenose Catfish in with my turtle to keep the glass clean and they definitely do the job! :)
Have you thought of breeding guppies? Cheap food for your turtle and if they last long enough will make your turtles tank look nicer as they have some colour to them as well :)
I buy neon tetras and throw them in my turtles tank every now and then, and breed guppies. I find this method works the best for me, and is also cheap. DO NOT USE GOLDFISH OR ANYTHING SIMILAR they can cause fatty liver and that is definitely not good. :)

Good luck :)

Tyler

I was told on *Australian Freshwater Turtles Forum* by a very experienced breeder and also the creator of the forum that it was 4x minimum. Obviously bigger the better. The smaller your filter the more maintenance you will need to do on your tank. :p

- - - Updated - - -

I keep 2 Britlenose Catfish in with my turtle to keep the glass clean and they definitely do the job! :)
Have you thought of breeding guppies? Cheap food for your turtle and if they last long enough will make your turtles tank look nicer as they have some colour to them as well :)
I buy neon tetras and throw them in my turtles tank every now and then, and breed guppies. I find this method works the best for me, and is also cheap. DO NOT USE GOLDFISH OR ANYTHING SIMILAR they can cause fatty liver and that is definitely not good. :)

Good luck :)

Tyler

I was told by the same person it needed to be 5-7 times.....
Nevertheless the point still stands that more is better :)

I used to be into fish a fair bit. There is some debate about how fast turnover should be. Filter media makes a big difference to how clean your water will be. I used an Eheim filter that was 1000l/h on a 350l tank and the water was always clean and clear and tested to the right parameters.

A sump is the more efficient choice, but can be loud if not designed correctly and is also more expensive. If your tank isn't overstocked then a canister will perform excellently.

4 times the volume of your tank is fine as long as it is actually turning over 4 times the tank volume. For instance a 2000 l/ph canister filter will not be turning over a 500 litre tank 4 times per hour. Canisters are rated with no head height and no media. By the time you put media in and run the hoses 1 metre plus in height some will loose half their flow rate. Usually the cheap ones do this as their pump is generally very average. If you work on around 6-8 times per hour with a decent quality canister you will get around 4-6 times actual turn over in the tank.

The best fish to keep with turtles are ones you don't mind being eaten. I catch my own down at the local creek. Some have survived for a year or more now and others get eaten as soon as you put them in there. :)

MJ, I notice that you are in Brisbane..... If you would like to pop into The Reptile Outlet at Oxley we'll be able to help steer you in the right direction. We open at 10.00am every day, and close at 6.00pm during the week, 5.00pm on Saturdays and 4.00pm on Sundays. You'll find us at Shop 6, 1118 Oxley Road, Oxley. Ph (07) 3278 2888. If you pop in on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday then Sue will be in the shop and be able to offer you her personal experienced advice.
The Reptile Outlet
Shop 6, 1118 Oxley Road, Oxley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back