Do you have small pet geckos/skinks/lizards?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigerlily

Reaction score
And if you do, would you be willing to part with some of their shed skin?

My new common tree snake will only eat pinkie mice if they've been scented with live gecko fragrance (her last owner fed purely live geckos and skinks; she won't even eat fish)... I tried rubbing gecko poo and it doesn't work :(

i dont want want to keep harassing my house geckos and rubbing dead mice on them as it's pretty stressful for them and I feel awful when they freak out and sometimes even drop their tails. I read somewhere that shed skin could work, so I'm trying to find some without resorting to keeping them.

So... Anyone? I'll of course cover postage and am willing to pay a reasonable price for the skin if required.

Please reply or PM me and we can sort out the details... Thanks in advance! :)

Have you tried putting the mice in the gecko cage for half an hour or so or rub the mice in the cage to pick up the sent?

Have you tried putting the mice in the gecko cage for half an hour or so or rub the mice in the cage to pick up the sent?
I don't think he has them in a cage. Think they're talking about the wild ones that hang around/in houses(sorry if I'm wrong)

in regards to the question, I don't really have any ideas on how to help sorry. All I can think of is next time one drops it's tail maybe keeping and using it.............

Next time one drops its tail crush it up in water and make a soup out of it, then freeze small amounts in an ice cube tray so they are always available for future use.

- - - Updated - - -

Alternatively try leaving a few guppies/mollies etc in the enclosure swimming in a inch or two of water (use a deepish tub so they cannot jump out), it may take some time but sooner or later your snake will start hunting and eating them.
My Black Phase loves fish so I actually have a 1 foot aquarium set up in his enclosure which is always stocked with fish, I usually have to add 10-20 a fortnight. It is by far the easiest snake I have ever had to look after.

- - - Updated - - -(the reason for the 2nd tub is when he was younger he had trouble catching them in deep water so I would dish out a few for him every day or so, now he just takes them out of the tank)

- - - Updated - - -

You can see how they got the name "Yellow-bellied Black Snake"

Last edited:
That setup looks great! So there is no lid on the aquarium and he just dunks his head in for a feed?

Tigerlilly, I occasionally get gecko sheds from my N. amyae but they are often eaten and are quite infrequent. Probably not enough for your needs unfortunately. I hope you find a more convenient solution (or someone with enough sheds for your needs).

Breed gecko's for it?, so you don't hurt the native population.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back