2 week old coastals won't eat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Classabear

Reaction score
(asking on behalf of someone else)
Hi, my breeder is having trouble feeding his hatches. 2 are excellent feeders, the other 4 have not eaten. They have shed and are just over 2 weeks old now. Whenever offering them food, they tend to look intimidated. Some ignore the pinky while others strike but don't grab it. He has tried everything: scenting, skinning the nose, piercing the head etc. to no avail...

If anyone can help us resolve this it would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have they had there first shed yet ? two weeks is nothing to worry about most don't feed for at least 5 weeks due to all the yolk they absorb from the egg

Yes they shed at about a week old

Sounds like you could be expecting a bit much from them. How many times have you tried to feed them?

I read their first feed should be at about 2 weeks. I've been trying for a few days. Other 2 have eaten no problem, it's just those 4.

I would give them a 5-10 day break and try again. Keep interaction with them to minimum in that time. In my experience most start when they are ready if treated this way.

Okay thanks for the advice! I'll pass it on :)

The breeder. I am buying one of the hatchies when they're ready and so am trying to help him out.

The breeder. I am buying one of the hatchies when they're ready and so am trying to help him out.

well u wouldn't exactly call him/ her a breeder then hey? ;)

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Well he's relatively new and still learning. Never had this problem before and has already tried everything he knows!

When u say never had this problem before?... What r u referring 2

2 weeks?... Nothing to wry about ... Just leave them be to settle

That's nothing mine hatched on the 27 of January and 6/10 haven't eaten yet and 4/10 haven't shed yet but they all seem happy

I've had them go months a trick I use to get last few stubborn animals to feed is have a few skinks or geckos grab one and when they crap themselves as they often do smear the matter onto a pinkies nose and they normally dig in, something about skink wee drives them nuts

i don't know much on the matter, but i have heard of 'pinkie pumps' for hatchies. though maybe others know more about how and what circumstances in which to use them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back