Croc safaris banned again

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry steve do you think the safaris should go ahead or are you hapoy with the proposal being rejected?
What are the arguments for and against? Besides the obvious animal rights issues...

To those of us unfamilar with the situation, why would the crocs continue to be killed with safari hunting outlawed?

Crocs are spreading in ever increasing numbers
They spread into new river systems and areas for 2 reasons
Over population means food supply is not sufficient
Large males cannot coexist

At present they are 'disposed of' by landowners and people with crocs turning up in their swimming pools
This form of culling is often illegal but has helped keep them in check

Safaris would have let native people at least earn an income

Pretty comical when the same government encourages wiping out great whites??
But great whites are not a tourist attraction??

Canning of safaris a croc: NT govt

THE Northern Territory government has lashed out at the federal environment minister for scuppering its plans for crocodile hunting safaris.
mf.gif

border="0"
|-
| valign="'middle'" |
| valign="'middle'" |
|-

a2t.img
dr-Py4zk_C8

Published On: 27-Mar-14 02:53 PM
Source: via NEWS.com.au

Go to Original Article

As Longqi says the crocs are being culled by Indigenous communities when they move into areas used by families and by Pastoralists when when they eat cattle. As trophy hunters will pay tens of thousands to shoot these animals (which are going to be shot anyway), I believe that controlled safari hunting with the proceeds going towards, for example, local Ranger groups (and therefor to control of feral animal and weed species) makes far more sense than simply wasting this resource.

Make no mistake, I think trophy hunters are clowns, however, I know how much good work by Indigenous Ranger groups goes unrecognised and, under the current state and federal governments, unfunded. It seems every week the funding for Rangers and the environmental projects they collaborate on are diminished or removed altogether.

Last time this hunting was proposed to a Liberal minister he took advice from Steve Irwin without speaking to anyone at all in the Territory, never mind the principal stakeholders like Pastoralists and Indigenous Communities. I suspect the same thing has happened again. (added to the bleating of so called animal rights groups).

As a pragmatist I believe A) the culling will continue, and so it should B) the significant value adding by letting a hunter/clown shoot the beast could have a significant positive outcome for the local environment.

Steve

Longqi great whites bring large amounts of money to some states as divers pay big money to dive with any sharks

Only a fraction of 1% compared to the income from croc related tourism
Shark tourism may take off one day
[if there are any left]

This government has been an environmental disaster, this is just one more black mark. Jesus' errand boy Abbots reasoning for ensuring the destruction of Tasmanias forests was funny, but not in the good way like you want.
can't quite understand the reasoning for this decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back