Can I put Two Pythons Together?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JacobV

Reaction score
Hello,
I currently have a Male Murray Darling Python, if I get a Spotted Python, can I have them both together if they are the same size? Either a female or male?
I have read all different things saying you can and you can't.

If that can't happen because they will attack each other or hurt each other, can I have a female MDP in with my male if they are also the same size?

Thank you, Jacob.

[MENTION=37393]JacobV[/MENTION] short answer: no.

Personally I wouldn't do it mate, and I don't think you'll get to many who would say it will be ok. With the MD and the Spotted they won't stay the same size for long and there is a good chance your spotted will get eaten. You will have more success putting two MD together. But as always with multiple snakes in an enclosure they need a larger enclosure so that they can get away from each other when needed, but still be able to easily access individual basking and cooling places. Snakes by default are solitary animals and don't particularly like any company. Sure there are those who will say no prob been doing it for years, but it isn't seen very often in the wild which shouldn't be disregarded. Personally I think its a cheap way out of simply buying another enclosure, probably to the detriment of the less dominant snake.

no way, spotteds and murrays are very different pythons, and the murray would out grown the spotted very quickely. even at the same size one could get hurt/ killed or even both.

i wouldn't mix species mate

re Carpet Pythons
i and plenty other Carpet Keepers i know,keep same sized females and same sized pairs together without issues

re Feeding
ALWAYS Separate at feeding time,i take out which ever snake is easiest to get out the tank and feed it in a tub,the other snake i feed in the tank

NEVER keep 2 males together

as said,it's only Carpet Pythons i keep

cheers shaun

i wouldn't mix species mate

re Carpet Pythons
i and plenty other Carpet Keepers i know,keep same sized females and same sized pairs together without issues

re Feeding
ALWAYS Separate at feeding time,i take out which ever snake is easiest to get out the tank and feed it in a tub,the other snake i feed in the tank

NEVER keep 2 males together

as said,it's only Carpet Pythons i keep

cheers shaun

Whenever this question comes up from an inexperienced keeper (and it seems to a common question at the moment) someone always seems to say "I do it with no problems, but you need to do this & this & this to make it safe..." The truth is it's NEVER a good long-term option to keep even similar sized pythons closely confined in a relatively small space. It only works "without issues" until you come home one day to a bloodbath and one or both snakes dead.

I know people are only trying to be helpful, but even the suggestion to novice keepers that this can work, under any circumstances, is asking for trouble. It only works until it doesn't... VERY experienced keepers who can "read" their animals may have long-term success, but if you're anew keeper, forget it.

Jamie

Whenever this question comes up from an inexperienced keeper (and it seems to a common question at the moment) someone always seems to say "I do it with no problems, but you need to do this & this & this to make it safe..." The truth is it's NEVER a good long-term option to keep even similar sized pythons closely confined in a relatively small space. It only works "without issues" until you come home one day to a bloodbath and one or both snakes dead.

I know people are only trying to be helpful, but even the suggestion to novice keepers that this can work, under any circumstances, is asking for trouble. It only works until it doesn't... VERY experienced keepers who can "read" their animals may have long-term success, but if you're anew keeper, forget it.

Jamie

that's a very fair and excellent point mate

my apologies...

i should have explained it was experienced keepers i was refering to

i and plenty of keepers with decades of experience have been co habiting Carpets without issues

cheers shaun

Multiples of the same species in the cage together for breeding is about it ,even then you have to keep a close eye on them to see whats happening.
Its similar to puting a yearling python into an adult size enclosure with the COP protocol NSW NPWS has ,watch them carefully as the parks and wildlife wont replace your little green tree python ,whatever species. if it dies of respiratory infection etc.

that's a very fair and excellent point mate

my apologies...

i should have explained it was experienced keepers i was refering to

i and plenty of keepers with decades of experience have been co habiting Carpets without issues

cheers shaun

No worries Shaun :)! How's the weather over there atm? Warming up yet?

J

Multiples of the same species in the cage together for breeding is about it ,even then you have to keep a close eye on them to see whats happening.
Its similar to puting a yearling python into an adult size enclosure with the COP protocol NSW NPWS has ,watch them carefully as the parks and wildlife wont replace your little green tree python ,whatever species. if it dies of respiratory infection etc.

would be interesting to see what would happen from the court case and the public view(i know what i'm trying to say here but not how to say it) even if the person lost the case.

The exception to the rule is bags. Allens keep pythons together all the time.

DSC_4362.jpg

DSC_4362.jpg

Gee Snowy, we don't usually get humour from WA herpers :)! I hope you got permission to post the photo...

Jamie

J

What i meant there is "watch things closely " with multiples or upgrading to COP sizes . I put a green from his usual enclosure that i would have kept it in for a few years under my own protocol and it stressed and started to get respiratory so i put it back in smaller enclosure and it is alright.What ime saying as an experienced keeper is you need to watch things closely and act accordingly ,you have to place multiples for breeding at times etc use commonsense, if your experimenting observe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back