Beardie feeding problem

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Star_Cameron

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Over the past few weeks my beardie hasn't been eating all that well. Only a small amount of crickets/greens/dry food every few days, nothing compared to what he was eating not too long ago. The temperatures are fine, he gets plenty of water, and his behaviour hasn't really changed at all, still quite active, and he's not getting thin or anything, still has a nice thick tail. It's gotten a little cooler lately, but not overly so.

The only thing I can think of is that the UV bulb is about 6 months old. If the UV bulb is no longer emitting enough UV light, would that be enough to dramatically slow his eating? If not, any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Cameron

your uv tube would be fine, they normally last between 12 to 18 months. try switching to woodies. my dragon was the same, now my dragon wont touch crickets. giving variety can do big things for dragons

You should change the uv every 6 months or so, pretty sure they are useless by 18 months? o_O When you say dry food what are you feeding? Like just the BD pellets? Cause not too many BD's like those but a few do. How are his poo's looking? Are they nice and firm and holding shape? Or is it all runny and falling apart?

Is there anything at all in his tank that he could have eaten and blocked him up? Is he house with another beardie?

I always have some of the bearded dragon dry food that you can buy available in his tank - I wanted him to be used to it if it was ever all that was available for a few days for whatever reason. He doesn't eat a lot of it, but a few pellets every now and then. Poo's are fine, just less often because he's not eating as much. When he was eating a lot of crickets they were bigger and every day, now they are the same just a bit smaller, and every few days. Quite firm, and hold their shape well. There's nothing else in his tank he could eat, and he's alone. His abdomen feels fine.

I'm going to pick up some woodies today and give them a try.

your uv tube would be fine, they normally last between 12 to 18 months. try switching to woodies. my dragon was the same, now my dragon wont touch crickets. giving variety can do big things for dragons

They last 12 months as an absolute maximum. They should be changed more frequently especially if you are relying on it for d3.

If it is dead though, would it slow his eating a lot?

I'll pick up a new one today anyway.

If your light source is no longer emitting sufficient levels of UV, combined with cooler temps and a well fed lizard, a reduced appetite is no surprise.
Have you been dusting the insects with vitamin/mineral/calcium powder?
Try giving your lizard regular spells in direct sun and vary the diet, as suggested.

I have been dusting the insects with a calcium supplement most days and a vitamin supplement once or twice a week.

I'll try the direct sunlight too, thanks for the tip.

Lack of UVB with definitely slow their appetite and all lights reduce the amount of UVB produced after 6 months unless you have a Reptisun HO which will last at least 12.

I have been always led to believe that the uv fluoro tubes last 12 months. Do they last longer than the globes?

What brand are they? Im sure most people would love a tube that lasts double the lifespan of other brands.

Rick

On top of this I would also like information to back up this claim.
Sounds too good to be true.

mine hasn't been eating in a few weeks. I thought the weather was to blame. She is still healthy and a good size so not too worried but I will get a replacement uvb as her one is about 6 months old

Just as a bit of an update, it's been a few days since I replaced the UVB bulb, and have also tried woodies a few times, as well as some of those canned silk worms. He's pretty much showed no interest in any of the live food, has maybe eaten just a little bit of greens. Pooping is fine, just really small due to the fact that he's not really eating. When I put him in his feeding tank he just ignores whatever is in there (crickets or woodies) and straight away tries climbing the sides. He's also been doing a lot more glass climbing in his main tank. I have also always been able to feed him life food by hand, but not having any luck with that at the moment either.

He still has a swim though, and I've given him a bit of a spray from time to time. He's very very active at the moment, but he never looks stressed when he's trying to climb the glass. He looks healthy enough to me, but I've attached a few pics for your more experienced people to have a look at just in case. He's just over a year old. Any further thoughts are welcome :)

Also of note, when I compared the 6 month old UVB bulb vs the new one side by side, the new was a vibrant white, whereas the old (exactly the same brand/type) had become a very dull grey. Not sure if this is an indicator of effectiveness or not, but the difference was remarkable.

View attachment 308067
View attachment 308068

Thats how I know the uv tubes are ready to be changed, if I haven't already done so.
Our two males have periods like that, climbing the glass of their enclosures. Is he head-bobbing at all?
By the way, your pictures didn't work.

I haven't really seen any head bobbing, maybe some really subtle bobbing. Yeah he's gone through phases of the glass surfing type behaviour before.

Had a feeling the pictures wouldn't work, usually happens when I do quick reply, have tried again.

Attachments

• IMG_20140402_115958.jpg
    IMG_20140402_115958.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20140402_120416.jpg
    IMG_20140402_120416.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Have you moved his tank around at all, or anything else in the room? Ours have shown similar behaviour when the room was moved around.

Nah no changes to the environment that I can think of. Maybe he's just going through a bit of an "unsettled phase" +/- a lack of UV for a while.

Plenty of food available to him, I guess he will eat when he's hungry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back