Unlicensed question.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

death_adder

Reaction score
Just a license related question if anyone knows the answer to. Person A bought a python legally about 10 years ago and now would like to move it on, not necessarily sell it just make sure it goes to a good home, eg mine :) problem is they made a decision to stop paying license fees and write it down as either an escape or death. Now I don't want to get in trouble by taking it and they doesn't want to get in trouble either. Ive informed that releasing it into the wild is the worst option. I think the best coarse would for them to hand it in to a wildlife help service or something then it would get re-homed and just say they found it.

All of the above is illegal.
They would be better off explaining what happened and getting the snake to you legally.

I wouldn't touch it... Just get them to take it parks and wildlife. As a found specimen if need be, turns up 10 years later :)

rspca now takes pythons for rehoming - please do not let him release it in the wild

As far as I know, here in SA if you have an unlicenced reptile, you lose all the reptiles in your possession, and they put them down.

What state are you in? If it's Victoria I can put you in touch with the lost reptiles home where he is able to surrender the animal where it will be rehomed legally.

Surely the scenario is a common story that doesn't warrant the snake to be put down or re-homed (to someone else)?
I mean it is so simple to get a licence (just pay a fee) these days compared to the "man-hours" of raiding your home or using rspca funds to care for the reptile before re-homing.

I would say your, and your friends, best option is to call the authorities/licence people in your state and ask them. It would be something that is not uncommon and they will be the only ones to give you a definitive answer. It may be as simple as renewing the old licence and submitting movement advice, but no-one could tell you but those in control.

If they put it down as an escape, can't they just contact the relevant powers to be and say they found it and need to renew their license?

(Not condoning their behaviour, just trying to think of a simple solution)

Hand it to a wildlife group, tell them it was a pet and person A hasn't kept up their license. They will rehome it. Happens all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back