Virides to do Name Plates for your Animals

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't there also a list of licensed reptiles? Judging by AROD there are thousands of animals... I recall seeing a list of allowable species but can't seem to find it now - help?

The only issue is finding maps for if people want Morelia spilota broken up into subspecies.

I'd imagine that the subspecies would be the most popular. Whether or not they can be made from scans etc. But KABAP obviously has individual distribution maps that could be helpful in making your own.

Thanks for the references, I have since found all lists for all states and territories.

Initially I plan on having commonly owned species and adding as I go.

I have decided that I will try to keep to 2 sizes available with both sizes accommodating a map, information and QR2id area. The plates can't have QR2id added prior to production (unless you already hold an account like Laura does, in which case you provide me with the code as previously mentioned).

The space available for the label will allow you to adhere a premium label from QR2id but I may produce my own labels - but this is just an idea at the moment.

The maps will be an Australian map, with subspecies/locales being of the area they are from. Eg. A map of the QLD region it exists in if too small to show on an entire map of Australia.

I will also be making this able to be adhered to sliding glass panels (top left/right, bottom left/right) with the ability to slot behind the other panel - just like our finger grips.

With the production method I will be using, I am sure I can make these easily, thus keeping the unit cost to a minimum. In this thread someone mentioned that etched panels are about $25 ea, I will be looking to keep it under this. I am sure it will be very reasonable.

Hopefully I can have Laura's plates ready within the month and have the product available for sale soon after.

Please remember, I would like to get an idea of sizes people would prefer and photos of where you would like to adhere your panel so I can be sure it is appropriately sized.

Sounds good. I will definitely be placing an order for 8 plates shortly.
Have you thought about magnetic plates?
It would be helpful to be able to stick a metal backing to the enclosure and then have the etched magnetic so they can stick to the metal backing plate.
This would allow plates to be moved among enclosures if needed.
Just a thought.

Sounds good. I will definitely be placing an order for 8 plates shortly.
Have you thought about magnetic plates?
It would be helpful to be able to stick a metal backing to the enclosure and then have the etched magnetic so they can stick to the metal backing plate.
This would allow plates to be moved among enclosures if needed.
Just a thought.

We can print direct to magnetic, however an alternative is that we adhere velcro dots to the panel. This atleast would be less problematic as magnetic would require a steel surface to affix to and magnetic vinyl isn't strong enough to permeate through thick materials like glass and melamime.

Perhaps this will be what we will do across the range so that you can clean the glass or when you want to migrate animals/replace animals.

We can print direct to magnetic, however an alternative is that we adhere velcro dots to the panel. This atleast would be less problematic as magnetic would require a steel surface to affix to and magnetic vinyl isn't strong enough to permeate through thick materials like glass and melamime.

Perhaps this will be what we will do across the range so that you can clean the glass or when you want to migrate animals/replace animals.

Certainly a good idea. My only comment (specific to my use) is that i wont be putting these on the glass. I do not want anything interfering with the view. I was hoping to affix these on the timber/melamine strip under the glass. Obviously Velcro dots will work here too.

If using it on the glass the Velcro dots might make it too thick to slide behind other glass panels.

In your situation, what size would work for you?

Velcro dots would be an option, I would still prefer to use our double sided adhesive. The double sided adhesive would be situations where migration was never an issue, like a reptile you expect to keep until for a prolonged period. Velco dots for more frequently migrated animals (and thus not appropriate for affixing to glass).

In your situation, what size would work for you?.

Ideally 50H x 100W, but I could make do with 65H x 92W. Would this fit the QRId and the Map?

As the panels under the glass are approximately 90mm high I am limited in height.
I also think that any higher would impinge on the view for those wanting to put them on the glass.

My initial tests will cover a variety of sizes and passes (quality factors), to determine when a map become illegible. The 92W x 65H actually fills out nicely. Perhaps 150 x 50 would be required to fit the map, QR2id and info.

Anyone else have suggestions based on their situation?

- - - Updated - - -

Currently we are putting together a list of the most commonly kept snakes and lizards kept in each state. Once we have the list, the next step is to do all the maps. We will try our best to get locale information and translate that to maps. While I love being accurate, if I am slightly out due to inaccuracies in references out of my control, I am sorry in advance and we can easily adjust as we get better information. The maps are pretty small so I would have to be 400km out to really notice :)

We are having allocation for your pet's name, common name, scientific name, environment, map (locales to have an inset probably), QR2id space allocation. Looking at 95mm x 70mm which seems to be decent space. A long version maybe about 120mm x 50mm.

For the moment I think we will stick with the permanent adhesive option and perhaps by request supply velcro dots.

I should have the list by tonight and will be looking to do our first design based on Laura's animal this weekend.

We found an excellent resource for confirming distribution maps for the species - currently asking the Australian Government if it is ok to use. Get back to you in a few months lol...

Hopefully by the end of the week :)

- - - Updated - - -

The government department has basically approved the use, we just have to follow certain rules but for the most part we can use their maps and even alter them as we need. As long as we credit the data.

Good news

Also...surprised I got an answer within a day!

- - - Updated - - -

For legal reasons, I have to say that the Australian Government and their departments do not endorse these name plates, they are simply the source of the data (part of the licensing rules).

I deal a lot with government departments for sourcing data (we do data quality and validation software). They have some very funny rules sometimes :p

Sent from my HUAWEI MT1-U06 using Tapatalk

I deal a lot with government departments for sourcing data (we do data quality and validation software). They have some very funny rules sometimes :p

I may want to get your help on that later when it comes time to attributing the data :)

No problem. Btw, finger grips turned up and look great. Thanks.

For legal reasons, I have to say that the Australian Government and their departments do not endorse these name plates, they are simply the source of the data (part of the licensing rules).

Which condition is that? I just had a look at the OEH (NSW) licence conditions (They're not easy to find). The only thing I could find was:
13. No protected native animal held under this licence shall be placed on public display or be exhibited in any way (except as provided in condition 1 above), or be held in or on any commercial premises.

But surely they can't expect you to stop permitting all access to your home just because you own reptiles. I guess it's a fuzzy line they'd rather we stay well clear of?

[MENTION=2185]Ramy[/MENTION] I don't think he was referring to the OEH (NSW) conditions but rather the license relating to the map data.

All good :)

Probably should have clarified what license I was referring to :p

What I am not sure of is, do I need to attribute credit for each species I use data from? I would much rather say that all data relating to the maps is from that department rather than every single reference for each animal - that would be 100s of pages.

Shamat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back