Fluro UV Tube Lighting Vs Standard UV globes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CC_Viper

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just curious about using fluro UV tubes vs Standard UV globes. I have a coastal diamond cross and without opening up a long winded debate I WILL BE using UV in the new enclosure. I am currently using a 13W Standard Exo Terra UV Globe but I find it hard on the eyes and I'd like to install a fluro tube in front of the wood strip at the front of the new enclosure so it is not in your face.

The enclosure will be melamine with sliding glass doors but it will have 100mm strips at the top and bottom which will be used for the sliding glass tracking system. This 100mm should be enough to keep the light out of your eyes...

First question is where do I get a fitting as the standard fittings seem to be rated at 15-18 Watts max and the shop has suggested a 30 Watt 3 foot tube...
Secondly if the enclosure is 1100mm high will there be enough light with the tube ?

I dont like the spiral uvb's they have some very bad reports for burning eyes on dragons due to top much/focused uvb. The tubes i find work great and havent had any dramas.

Rick

We use the tubes in our beardie enclosures, changing them every 12 months. Never heard that about the spirals, Rick. That's very interesting.

- - - Updated - - -
[MENTION=39074]CC_Viper[/MENTION] You should be able to pick up the correct fitting at your local reptile store (not pet shop).

I don't think much of spirals either I think long flouro's are better at spreading light over a distance so I go direct to tradie outlets for all my electrical fittings,places like TLE or JR TURK can supply what you need and if you know what you need you can get things at better prices than reptile shops

Using the tubes, it doesn't matter where your reptile is in the enclosure, it will get UV.

UVB is not required by reptiles that eat whole vertebrate prey as they are able to take up and make use of the Vitamin D stored in the livers of their prey. There is absolutely no necessity to expose your reptiles to forms of radiation they do not require. Appropriate research should have guided your money and efforts into other aspects of husbandry, so I at a loss to understand your stated intentions.

UV fluorescent tubes come in linear or compact bulbs – either a spiral or U-shapes tubes. Mercury vapour bulbs also produce UVB. I can only assume that by “standard UV globes” it is these to which you are referring. MV lamps also give out significantly high levels of heat.

The issues with some top brand name compact fluorescents producing excessive radiation resulting in photokeratoconjunctivitis, has been resolved. If any brands are still suspect it would be cheapies manufactured in china. Use of reflectors on compact fluorescents concentrates the radiation and so appropriate minimum distance between animal and light must be maintained. Linear flouros, even with reflectors, are more diffuse and the distance between animals and the light needs to be reduced accordingly. As wattages and % UVB varies with different globe, you should adjust the distance between animals and lighting accordingly.

Just to reiterate, Carpet Pythons (all types) do NOT need any UVB whatsoever!

Blue

This issue you talk of with the spirals is a problem from about 5-8 years ago, the new exo terra spirals are excellent

And yet most still produce abnormal amount of uvb when first used, this is something that i believe hasnt been fixed. I use a spiral 5.0 in with my frogs due to using a exoterra compact top and i always run the bulbs for 12hrs before installing into the enclosure.

Have they fixed the problem with them not lasting? I replace mine every 6 months due to other reports of them not lasting more then 3-6 months.

Rick

I replace mine at 6 monthly intervals regardless. Is 5.0 the correct one for frogs? Just asking as I thought 2.0 would be ok

5.0 would be the max to use due to their sensitive skin or I guess, the height too of your enclosure.

I dont like the spiral uvb's they have some very bad reports for burning eyes on dragons due to top much/focused uvb. The tubes i find work great and havent had any dramas.

Rick
Have used hundreds and sold thousands Rick, and have not had one problem with them. Mind you we do only use and sell Exo Terra and ZooMed and would not surprise me if there were problems with the el cheapo ebay ones but that's the risk you take if you choose to buy the no name brands.
Paul

i guess they make them a bit faulty so then they can keep the money coming in, wouldnt have many people buying uv bulbs if they only had to be replaced every 10 years.

Have used hundreds and sold thousands Rick, and have not had one problem with them. Mind you we do only use and sell Exo Terra and ZooMed and would not surprise me if there were problems with the el cheapo ebay ones but that's the risk you take if you choose to buy the no name brands.
Paul

Exo Terra had these exact issues, not just them though as far as i know. It probably had most to do with distance from bulb but exo terras didnt work as well as they now do.

Rick

This is not due to them being faulty a large majority of the time.
They need to be replaced every 6-12months because the output level of UV diminishes over time and after 12 months there is very little output at all.

I use a 13W 2.0 spiral globe for my frogs for about 4-6hrs a day, although they are new arrivals I haven't had any issues with it, their colours actually seem brighter than when I first got them.

i guess they make them a bit faulty so then they can keep the money coming in, wouldnt have many people buying uv bulbs if they only had to be replaced every 10 years.

you have nailed it!!!! ALL products are now made with built in obsolesence, note ; tonka toys are now made out of plastic instead of steel and eskies are also made out of plastic.What ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back