Captive Animal Study / Professional animal keepers.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aggzz

Reaction score
G'day all

new to the forum, yet to own my first reptile but that will be happening in the next few weeks!!! just gotta sort a few things out really...
My question is,

Anyone on here currently studying literally anything to do with animals?
By this i mean a tafe course or uni degree.

Reason im asking is im looking to start the captive animals cert III through tafe, and at the same time try to get some
volunteer work sorted out so i can actually do this course. My main interest is Fish of any kind and reptiles of course.
but i was going to start with this general course just to at least get into the industry in anyway i can what so ever....

If anyone is doing it or previously completed any kind of course i would love too hear from you, or anyone involved in running courses
or even if you are already working in the industry.

ATM living in sydney, looking at signing up for volunteer work for wildlife world sydney, sydney aquarium, Reptile park on the central coast, oceanworld manly, taronga zoo... or any other place i come across.

Anyone who has any info or contacts what so ever! love a reply!!

Cheers all
Take it easy
Jamie

It really depends on what exactly it is you want to do. The vibe I am getting from your post is "I like animals and I want to explore working with them" but maybe you are not so sure in what facet you want to do this.

The certificate III in captive animals has become the standard zoo keeper qualification so if this is the direction you are going then this is a good start. As you mentioned you do need an animal keeping workplace in order to fulfill the requirements of the course. Even volunteer positions are highly contested so it is best to start searching for these and be open to work in a variety of places as it seems you are. If you are unable to find a place to volunteer/work there are other options. The same course can be done through the Taronga training Institute. This is an accredited course the same as tafe and provides you with the practical element needed for the course. This option is however much more expensive (almost $6000 from memory) and takes 2 years as apposed to only 1 year with tafe and being a fraction of the cost. Information for that can be found on the Taronga website.

My advice is if you want to become a keeper/aquarist to get the Certificate III in Captive Animals and to obtain as much practical experience as you can through volunteer or paid employment. I would also get your diving certificate and as much experience with that as well if an Aquarist is more what you are aiming to be. The practical element will also help you to get contacts in the industry for references and learning when positions do become available.

I do Animal Studies Cert III at tafe because I want to be a vet nurse. All I can say in regards to working with animals in a zoo or something is don't expect to ever actually interact with the animals, that isn't what its about (being a volunteer).

I currently study Cert III captive animals via correspondence from NSW TAFE Sydney Institute. I am in Melbourne, so can't really comment on suitable volunteer places there but I found I had to think outside the box. The volunteer positions at the big zoos here are really reserved for Zoology student placements (or so I found) and even the smaller zoos could only accommodate placements of 1-2 weeks.

I volunteer with a wildlife display company as a keeper (this also provides the opportunity for the 'presenting to the public' aspect and love it!

Ive only done my Cert II in animal studies but I have spent years volunteering at the Reptile Park and now Walkabout wildlife park. Both places are very accommodating to people studying cert III

Hey all thanks heaps for the replies. Yeah basically I am at a starting point. my main interest is Anything in Water lol - and getting into reptiles as of late - still do not own anything but just picked up my license.
Yeah already knew how competitive things can be I am currently and advanced qualified scuba diver and going to be doing my rescue diver course next year which has helped me get a few contacts at the aquarium at manly im pretty close to be being offered something volunteer at their facility.
Also just sorting out my application for the reptile park, you are talking about the one on the central coast right????

This is more of a starting point for my studies - if things go well im potentially going to study at Uni also....

I take it its almost impossible to end up with paid work in this industry as well right??? but its what i want to do for the love of animals not money.

I take it its almost impossible to end up with paid work in this industry as well right??? but its what i want to do for the love of animals not money.

I wouldn't necessarily say that, it does depend on exactly which kind of work and where you are after. I know the big zoos here are incredibly competitive position wise, I would imagine the Aquarium would be similar. If you start looking into it you might find that there are quite a few different places/roles that could suit, even if just as a stepping stone. I'm only starting out too but always happy to have a chat about it if you like :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I wouldn't necessarily say that, it does depend on exactly which kind of work and where you are after. I know the big zoos here are incredibly competitive position wise, I would imagine the Aquarium would be similar. If you start looking into it you might find that there are quite a few different places/roles that could suit, even if just as a stepping stone. I'm only starting out too but always happy to have a chat about it if you like :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for responding to the thread, Yeah I know what you mean but its gonna be hard work i rkn.... Yeah starting stepping stone for me once i start the course and get teh ball rolling ill have a better idea specifically what i want to do.
If i have any other questions I will ask here instead of starting a new thread.

Thanks for everyone else who has responded. appreciate the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back