Northern Snake-necked Turtle in the Finniss River, NT (short video)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saratoga

Reaction score
Short video of a Northern Long-neck. If you look carefully half way through you can also see the tail and back legs of a baby freshie (you might have to go full screen and HD for that!).

Part of a much longer vid I'm putting together on the Finniss River... lots more turtles (3 types), snakes, crocs and native fish..... but that's a way off yet

Northern Snake-necked Turtle

Northern Snake-necked or Long-necked Turtle (Chelodina [Macrochelodina] oblonga) - YouTube

Awesome project saratoga! I think I saw the freshie in the top left just before the cut scene....
Are you manning the camera or did you have it set up on something to get that footage?
What sort of fish do you get through the river?
Thanks for sharing

Are you manning the camera or did you have it set up on something to get that footage?
What sort of fish do you get through the river?
Thanks for sharing

I just leave the camera in place and collect it an hour and a half or so later. No way would I be manning the camera in that water as Saltwater crocs turn up there pretty regularly! It also means I get reasonably natural behaviour.

Heaps of fish in this river. I'm currently going through all my footage and going to edit it down to something watchable. Various grunters, rainbows, glassfish, catfish, gudgeons, tarpon, barra, mouth almighty's, strawmans, hardyheads etc. Surprisingly I didn't see any long toms or archerfish in this part of the river and it's just a little too far west for Saratogas. There are 2 other types of turtles in there as well, a couple of other short vids of them on my youtube channel.

If you want to see a good variety of Top End fish check out my other video (Native Fish: Maguk, kakadu) from the South Alligator, much clearer water and a good selection of species.

Some good herps in the next one too when I get it finished. That little croc would just rest up on top of the water for hours at a time. Got some slightly clearer footage of him to come.

Do you get tilapia out that way? Last time I snorkelled in FNQ thats nearly all I saw......
The catfish must be awesome. I was swimming with a big tandanus last week...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back