Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andynic07

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
It appears that the authorities in Queensland are starting to enforce the rules around hybrids as I have heard of someone getting fined and snakes being confiscated. Has anyone else heard of this happening?

Is it subspecies crosses or species crosses they are targeting. I can't see them chasing someone with intergrades.

I do not know if it is an actual crack down or a one off and not sure even what species or subspecies they were. Just seeing the fallout of cheap snakes and he told me that he was done.

Bear in mind it is not illegal to own a hybrid or mutation but it is illegal to knowing breed a hybrid or mutation.

Isnt this a case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted LOL. Take all this out of the hands of the wildlife authorities and treat them as what they are, pets.

Isnt this a case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted LOL. Take all this out of the hands of the wildlife authorities and treat them as what they are, pets.

Bit different for you though Boa
They are not native animals up your way

Where they are a native animal they deserve some level of protection even if their conservation use in future is highly doubtful and many are treated as family pets

Where they are a native animal they deserve some level of protection even if their conservation use in future is highly doubtful and many are treated as family pets

Exactly. Although boa is correct about the stable door, he has never understood the connection between management of pet reptiles in an extremely reptile-rich environment, and the self-limiting effects of the environmentally ruined and climatically adverse reptile desert into which he has chosen to return. That's not to say that the management of reptile keepers here in Oz is anything but chaotic and ineffective either...

Ashley, just once in a while it would be nice if you said something positive about reptile keeping in Australia instead of the constant sideswipes you seem compelled to make about reptile keeping in this country. You've made your choice to go back to the UK with all the reptile treasures you covet, be happy with that (I'm sure you are) and try not to sound so superior. If Australia had the same climate as the UK across its length and breadth, you'd probably have to find something else to poke your stick at.

Jamie

The easy answer to this is look at the number of threads that start with "Help! My snake has escaped".

I know of one who cross bred waters python with a morelia species ( which if I was asked, I would have said couldn't happen ). He did the right thing and declared them. The animals were seized but I don't know if he was fined.
I think that crosses between different subspecies are legally OK, QLD only has a single code for Morelia spolita. I strongly suggest that you actually ask DERM before doing so. Personally I keep the subspecies separate.

I have heard of that cross as well and that person is a member on here but I will not say who it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melbourne zoo crossed fuscus and spilota in the late seventies. Well and truly before Nathan did it.

Ive heard they are about to do the same in SA. That goes for any morelia crosses not just the apparent "loop hole".

Rick

I have not suggested they shouldnt be protected but for them to come under the protection of the wildlife authority is ridiculous, they should be covered by a different section altogether. Pets and native animals are very different.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly. Although boa is correct about the stable door, he has never understood the connection between management of pet reptiles in an extremely reptile-rich environment, and the self-limiting effects of the environmentally ruined and climatically adverse reptile desert into which he has chosen to return. That's not to say that the management of reptile keepers here in Oz is anything but chaotic and ineffective either...

Ashley, just once in a while it would be nice if you said something positive about reptile keeping in Australia instead of the constant sideswipes you seem compelled to make about reptile keeping in this country. You've made your choice to go back to the UK with all the reptile treasures you covet, be happy with that (I'm sure you are) and try not to sound so superior. If Australia had the same climate as the UK across its length and breadth, you'd probably have to find something else to poke your stick at.

Jamie

Hi Jamie, how have you been?

looks like all the cross bred morphs just became ''pure''. All this is going to do is make everyone lie about what they are breeding... I would ask them to prove it in a court of law it was a cross before handing anything over.

looks like all the cross bred morphs just became ''pure''. All this is going to do is make everyone lie about what they are breeding... I would ask them to prove it in a court of law it was a cross before handing anything over.

It will achieve nothing. Just another example of throwing their weight around. If they were serious about it they would have done something at the start not now.

I have not suggested they shouldnt be protected but for them to come under the protection of the wildlife authority is ridiculous, they should be covered by a different section altogether. Pets and native animals are very different.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Jamie, how have you been?

Ah, you know Ash, life goes on... and on... and on... :)! Although there was a bit of good news last week - Neil Simpson's appeal against his heaviest ever fines & costs awarded in NSW was dismissed by the judge, so he has to fork out the initial nearly $40k plus I presume the costs of his appeal, which would be very substantial. But as we all know, it's easy come, easy go for him.

Nice vipers you have there - does anyone keep the English adders over there Ash? I understand they're a bit challenging to keep long-term?

J

It will achieve nothing. Just another example of throwing their weight around. If they were serious about it they would have done something at the start not now.

exactly even when the south Australian parks and wildlife went after the bredli jag clutch, they admitted they had nothing to prove it was a cross in a court of law so they purely throw their weight around and the breeder crumbled at the threats... I would of been good if they did something at the start to stop the jag crosses but too little to late I'm afraid. All it will do now is just make all the breeders list everything as pure, which will wreck the hobby for other keepers that only want to keep pure species or want nothing to do with the whole jag or zebra craze and the problem ''sibs'' that come with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back