Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDew

Reaction score
Okay,

So I've read people saying for a first snake or any I guess not to settle but to get what you want/like. I have become really fond of the water python. I've seen people say that the QLD ones with the yellow belly can be great placid snakes and have heard of people having a great experience with water pythons. But I've also heard it can be kind of hit and miss....that for any snake actually. Anyway, I've been researching species' a lot and and I'm wanting to know whether you guys would recommend going with something like a water python or something like a spotted or children's for a first?

I guess I'm probably not wanting to spend a lot on my first, and they can come in for quite a lot can't they?

Get what you like. Water pythons can be more "bitey" and can be off putting for new keepers. But any other snake can be just the same. If you want a water python, do the research and go for it.

Your first snake should be easy to handle and affordable , a Bredli is a very placid snake for a beginner and not too expensive to purchase, they are quite hardy and don't require anything exotic in the way of an enclosure although they can grow quite large in just a couple of years so be prepared to have to increase enclosure size as it grows, once your comfortable with handling and caring for it you could then go for a more demanding species. just so happens I have a nice selection of Bredli hatchlings for sale,

I'd start out with a smaller sp so as you can get used to the basics of handling and learning when not to handle them etc as the little buds will be easier to uncoil and put back away if you make mistakes,misjudge the mood they are in or something scares them.

If the childrens seem too small to interest you there are woma's and 1 or 2 other sp that only usually reach 5-5.5 ft, a bit harder to uncoil and a bit/alot stronger than a childrens but still manageable on your own if something goes wrong.

Once you are looking at something that is around 2 meters or more, I'd be having someone else around that can keep a level head too when handling it until you are more experienced with them.

I'm over cautious at times though and have my wife around when getting out the 5 ft woma, once out a lot more confident with her, just a bit unconfident with getting her out despite her so far great behaviour over the last 2 years we've had her and the knowledge I've picked up on when not to handle them, we're working on that.

Last edited:
6amu5uqe.jpg

I saw these wheltbelts (forgive me is spelling wrong) they only get upto 1m so if I can get one of these it will be my first or maybe a Diamond python as today I was told they are also a great first snake.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

Very nice, did a quick search to narrow down the area the Wheatbelt stimpsons come from it's the wheatbelt areas of South western W.A, the site I got that off said that variety of stimpson get relatively large for a stimpson, but that's still small in python standards.

It also said "Stimpsons should be set up in a way that they are not exposed to excessive humidity as they are a python primarily associated with dry country"

The others that keep them will be able to give you advice on that and if they need a particular way of being set up different to other Antaresia's, I don't keep the buds, so haven't looked into their husbandry.

Last edited:
Don't choose a snake just because the species is not called 'bitey'. You need to be prepared to take a bite no matter what species you get, everything can and will bite, but also that there are are examples of each species that are incredibly mellow.

I wouldn't want to settle for something else and then be stuck with a snake I really don't like/appreciate and wishing I had got the one I really wanted.

Get a baby of what you really want (seems to be a water), grow and learn with it, respect it (same as any species) and you will be just fine.

Thanks guys :D

Getting a water and learning with it as well as having done the research for it sound basically what I was thinking I want to do.

Womas have a great temperament and and to expensive and are easy to feed but if you want something cheap but pretty that only grows to 2m and are easy to keep get a hypo bredli also known as a centralian here's one of my big females who was just moved into an avairy yesterday

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 93
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 97
I would get what you like. Anything else is just buying a snake for the sake of it and you may end up owning a snake that you don't really want. If you do research and be prepared for what you are getting you will not have any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice, did a quick search to narrow down the area the Wheatbelt stimpsons come from it's the wheatbelt areas of South western W.A, the site I got that off said that variety of stimpson get relatively large for a stimpson, but that's still small in python standards.

It also said "Stimpsons should be set up in a way that they are not exposed to excessive humidity as they are a python primarily associated with dry country"

The others that keep them will be able to give you advice on that and if they need a particular way of being set up different to other Antaresia's, I don't keep the buds, so haven't looked into their husbandry.

Not trying to be a jerk but it's Stimson not Stimpson. They are named after A.F. Stimson of the British Museum, not a cartoon about a yellow family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back