Are click-clacks strictly necessary?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Newbie question I know but I can't find anything that explicitly answers my question.

For a hatchy or yearling is a click-clack really necessary?

What are the implications of housing a yearling in a larger vivarium?

I have noticed that a lot of people start off with click-clacks and work the size up as their scaly friend grows so I am assuming that it is beneficial to start small and suit the enclosure to the size of said slithery mate but what are the reasons for this?

Juvenile snakes aren't too fond of large spaces. They still hold the wild mentality of large space = predatory danger.
Generally most snakes are pretty happy when they feel protected, and small enclosures for young snakes are the best way of doing this.
Also when young, snakes usually benefit from 24 hr heat supply, and a little tub/click clack on a heat mat/cord is much cheaper and easier to run than a full set up.
If you are going to get a set up for a juvenile I wouldn't start with anything larger than a 45x45x30cm enclosure and make sure there are plenty of hides and stuff to sneak around in.
At the end of the day, the more protected and safer a snake feels, the better it will be to handle, feed and appreciate as it grows.

That makes a lot of sense.

I am not worried about the economical side of things. When it comes to animals, like humans, I don't think of sparing expense on care. If I had a child I would make allowances to make sure it is comfortable and never really wants or needs for anything, I would expect to be able to do the same for a furry or scaly companion so power consumption wouldn't bother me. However if giving it the closeness it so desires means it will be infinitely happier then that is what I will be looking to do for any future reptilian and amphibian friends I decide to adopt into my home and life.

Tiny snakes are crazy escape artists. The more basic and the smaller a set up is (ie a click clack) the less chance of escape. They are also very very easy to manage - cleaning and maintenance are a dream.

Another great point, I can also see it being a great place to house a snake while cleaning it's enclosure now that I think about it.
These things are too useful :D

On top of maintenance reasons, most breeders will not have the space (or will) to set up 6-12+ (or many more) enclosures for individual hatchlings, as they cannot be kept together. A lot of people will use the click clack they come in for convenience.

click clacks are not necessary as said above it is easier to house if breeding snakes also easier to clean ect. if you only have a few snakes a larger enclosure will be find but make sure you have lots of hides.

click clacks are not necessary as said above it is easier to house if breeding snakes also easier to clean ect. if you only have a few snakes a larger enclosure will be find but make sure you have lots of hides.

Click clacks for breeding juveniles? you're fancy.

For Noobs its so much easier to get a click clack right. A juvie snake in a large enclosure is harder to set up. The juvie snake would rather hide than seek out heat. In a click clack the juvie has easy access to the thermal gradient in a small area. So it feels safer to get heat or retreat from the heat. I don't doubt this is also the case in the wild, where they find a decent rock crevice that they can bask, hide and find food from. Most of the carpet pythons I see on the move in the wild are all in the appearance of at least a few seasons old.

I went into a pet store today and the manager of the reptile and amphibian department is a breeder. They had some nice tubs there that make great click-clacks he told me and he also mentioned that while some hatchys and juvies don't mind the openness it is always better to keep them in a smaller enclosure, such as a click-clack. Particularly for the reasons that Snowman stated. Thanks for all of the advice on this guys. I also would like to announce that I could be taking a job at that pet store working with this guy to learn more about various reptiles and the set-ups required and am really excited :D

Looks like the answer you needed. Good luck with the new job too :)

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

Click clacks for breeding juveniles? you're fancy.

No but if you have multiple breeding pairs or even one for that matter. click clacks make it easier for hatchlings is what I was trying to imply. if you have one hatchling / juvie I can not see why you would have to setup a click clack as you are only dealing with one snake it shouldn't be to hard to setup correctly.

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk

If you don't want to set up the heat supply for a click clack you can keep the small container inside a large enclosure . When breeding I keep up to 10 click clacks inside a full size cage ;]

No but if you have multiple breeding pairs or even one for that matter. click clacks make it easier for hatchlings is what I was trying to imply. if you have one hatchling / juvie I can not see why you would have to setup a click clack as you are only dealing with one snake it shouldn't be to hard to setup correctly.

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk

You are indeed correct sir.
You're sentence could have been interpreted two ways, just getting your clarification on what you meant ;)

If you don't want to set up the heat supply for a click clack you can keep the small container inside a large enclosure . When breeding I keep up to 10 click clacks inside a full size cage ;]

How do you get a temp gradient?

I was only going off 40 years of experience . Young experts who read something somewhere obviously know best . All my hatchies have been healthy and thriving kept at 30c till sold . While we are at it my snakes incubate their own eggs with almost 100% success . So once again goodbye to this site ;

I was only going off 40 years of experience . Young experts who read something somewhere obviously know best . All my hatchies have been healthy and thriving kept at 30c till sold . While we are at it my snakes incubate their own eggs with almost 100% success . So once again goodbye to this site ;

Do you modify the adults enclosure to prevent the hatchlings from escaping , put them in a different enclosure to incubate or just keep an eye out around hatching time? My brother in law lost one hatchling when he maternally incubated because of small gaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back