Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All with no mention of drugs,guns or motorbikes! Amazing!

What an idiot, all those native snakes you can keep and he goes and gets a introduced that could help spread new diseases to the wild ones if it got loose etc.

Folks from Geelong aren't generally considered that bright anyway [MENTION=39804]critterguy[/MENTION].

When we saw it on the tv I said to my partner they should cut it's head off and she looked at me wierd hehe.
She didn't know they were illegal or that now seized it'd be put down, and was a bit shocked that me a snake lover would say that.

Hopefully it goes to a zoo if vet check comes back clean

Spoke to a friend working at Melbourne Zoo a few hours ago about this. They won't take it(have no need), and nowhere else in Vic is authorized to take it. For what it is it's too exy to send interstate and quarantine, house ect. Much cheaper to introduce it to a brick.

GeckoJosh is on the money sadly.

This animal would pose absolutely no health risk whatsoever...undoubtedly it was bred here. My suggestion is: Why not quarantine it for supposed "health" reasons & seek a genuine license holder who is willing to take it in for the remainder of its days? Chipped etc etc ...and at that rate the person knowingly & illegally keeping it can be dealt with (fined/punished etc) under the wildlife act, and an innocent animal isn't euthanized because of its former keepers stupidity. That's a workable win/win ....it's not something that can be manipulated by private reptile keepers wanting to obtain an exotic reptile because the criminal punishment is still being applied. That makes the most sense to me....and if i was elected PM.......8)

This animal would pose absolutely no health risk whatsoever...undoubtedly it was bred here. My suggestion is: Why not quarantine it for supposed "health" reasons & seek a genuine license holder who is willing to take it in for the remainder of its days? Chipped etc etc ...and at that rate the person knowingly & illegally keeping it can be dealt with (fined/punished etc) under the wildlife act, and an innocent animal isn't euthanized because of its former keepers stupidity. That's a workable win/win ....it's not something that can be manipulated by private reptile keepers wanting to obtain an exotic reptile because the criminal punishment is still being applied. That makes the most sense to me....and if i was elected PM.......8)

The money and resources required to do this - for ONE illegal, not rare, and not particularly wanted animal - is entirely, ridiculously unwarranted.
If it's in this country it shouldn't be alive, it's that simple.
As I stated above, it's getting euth'd as no society whatsoever is willing to take it and gov't will never put it in private hands.

The money and resources required to do this - for ONE illegal, not rare, and not particularly wanted animal - is entirely, ridiculously unwarranted.
As I stated above, it's getting euth'd as no society whatsoever is willing to take it and gov't will never put it in private hands.

I think moose's idea is to deal with this type of issue(exotics). Not just this one particular boa :)

It's a shame it will be euth'd, such wonderful animals :(

It's a shame it will be euth'd, such wonderful animals :(

I think law enforcers have to be harsh in these situations. The more deterrents you introduce, the fewer buyers. Well, it works in theory better than in practice.

Animals brought in illegally have a high mortality rate in transit. If there's also the risk of the animal being found and euthanised, then hopefully prospective buyers will see that it's not in the animal's interests. People will keep smuggling animals and breeding them here for as long as there are buyers, and smugglers don't care about the animal's well being. It's easier to appeal to the potential pet owners. Sure, most people who want to keep illegal reptiles are people who do it to thumb their nose at police... but they're also people who don't want to understand the environmental risks they're taking.

I think law enforcers have to be harsh in these situations. The more deterrents you introduce, the fewer buyers. Well, it works in theory better than in practice.

Animals brought in illegally have a high mortality rate in transit. If there's also the risk of the animal being found and euthanised, then hopefully prospective buyers will see that it's not in the animal's interests. People will keep smuggling animals and breeding them here for as long as there are buyers, and smugglers don't care about the animal's well being. It's easier to appeal to the potential pet owners. Sure, most people who want to keep illegal reptiles are people who do it to thumb their nose at police... but they're also people who don't want to understand the environmental risks they're taking.

Definitely agree with you. It has just always bugged me that the animal pays the ultimate price for other people's wrong doings :(

The authoritah could possibly legally ship the animal overseas to accepting parties who can then onsell to a customer. The human offender should pickup the tab for shipping + some sort of nominated quarantine cost and also pay the relevant fine. Overseas reciever gets a free animal to sell, the offender gets their dues and the animal gets a home(hopefully). Just throwing an idea out there! :)

The trouble is they are in this country - by the bucketload. Captive bred, illegal & rarely found in collections by DEPI/police for those "not on the grid" (ie: registered keepers). Usually they ONLY way they are found is via a drug bust or some other illegal activity that has warranted a police search.

I've had the DEPI do a paperwork/book check on my animals, but not once did I have to show them the room with the 12 boas & 5 spitting cobras in it? They didn't search the house because I haven't been accused of something illegal. Other than being searched for that reason, the possibility of them ever finding one of these exotics (which there are craploads out there) is the equivalent to winning the lotto.

But why put down a perfectly good animal? Sure the zoos don't want to take them...but I would.

It's a shame their a nice snake I got to hold one at Australia zoo a few years ago it was about 2.5 m

A boa is no greater than a fox, rabbit, feral pig, mouse or cane toad, I see no issue whatsoever with it being euthed.

The people who smuggle the animals in should be the ones getting euthanasia!
Animal should be returned to a country where it can be legally kept.

The trouble is they are in this country - by the bucketload. Captive bred, illegal & rarely found in collections by DEPI/police for those "not on the grid" (ie: registered keepers). Usually they ONLY way they are found is via a drug bust or some other illegal activity that has warranted a police search.

I've had the DEPI do a paperwork/book check on my animals, but not once did I have to show them the room with the 12 boas & 5 spitting cobras in it? They didn't search the house because I haven't been accused of something illegal. Other than being searched for that reason, the possibility of them ever finding one of these exotics (which there are craploads out there) is the equivalent to winning the lotto.

But why put down a perfectly good animal? Sure the zoos don't want to take them...but I would.

Just because it's here and in numbers doesn't mean it should get a free pass. Laws are laws and they're in place for a very good and very specific reason.
Heroin is prevalent within our communities and has been for a long time, should that mean it should become legal? Hell no.
Don't try and say that these are two separate arguments(drugs & fauna) because they aren't. The whole point is to protect what this country from things, that when left unchecked can destroy it.

It's what makes it so ridiculous everytime they trot out the disease risk line each time an animal is found, that snake is probably the absolute minimum 4th generation Australian bred but I guess the 'disease, disease, wipe out all our animals' line is more sensational. Finding one snake every 6 months or whatever is going to make absolutely no difference whatsoever. It is mind boggling how many of these and 100's of other species are in the country already and their numbers just keep growing.

Boas have been in the Geelong area since the early 90's that l am aware of and they had been bred then so there will be a few out there. solar 17 ~B~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back