Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because it's here and in numbers doesn't mean it should get a free pass. Laws are laws and they're in place for a very good and very specific reason.
Heroin is prevalent within our communities and has been for a long time, should that mean it should become legal? Hell no.
Don't try and say that these are two separate arguments(drugs & fauna) because they aren't. The whole point is to protect what this country from things, that when left unchecked can destroy it.

Actually that is a dumb argument :lol: We’re taking about a living creature that can potentially be taken in by a 3rd party (zoo, sanctuary etc) & most probably without risk to native fauna/fauna – but because there is no option “these days” for a private keeper to take it in, that’s the end of the line for it – what a waste! To compare heroin as an inanimate drug that destroys lives & promotes criminal activity is a real stretch.

International license holders in this country, and I know a few, can keep boas etc in private collections without a problem. It can be regulated and it is regulated. There are strict rules on these license holders. The animals they have were undoubtedly bred in this country & are potentially 10th generation captives.

I am a fox shooter. I have major issues with feral animals in this country. Actually I shoot anything that’s feral. But in Sydney they have the Sydney Fox Rescue program. Foxes are taken in under legal regulation by private individuals. They have to meet x-y-z criteria & the animal is desexed, microchipped & has to be contained in an escape-proof cage/house etc. I think these people are a little misguided in their efforts as there are plenty more native animals that need rescuing, but then I am also compassionate about their goals, as I feel the same thing should happen in regards to confiscated exotic pythons etc. As long as the authorities know where they are (as opposed to not knowing where they are – which is the majority of the time), and they aren’t a venomous species, I don’t see the issue with it. They aren’t finding hundreds a week (but they should be) & I believe there is a more viable result available for the animal.

Ps: no one is out there injecting or snorting snake ;)

Boas were being legally kept and bred in Victoria pre amnesty. Ignoring a problem will not make it go away nor will seizing the odd one here or there. Exotic birds..... Which are much more mobile and an escape risk are keep here by thousands of people. They are a direct analogue for reptiles there is no reason that you should be able to keep exotic fish or birds and not Herps. They are here no point sticking a head in the sand.

As for reasoning for someone keeping exotics .......I don't thumbing there nose at the police was a reason that would come to mind of most exotic keepers......Most people let alone police would not be able to tell a ball python from a woma or a boa from a carpet. They are keeping a snake in a box nothing more or less

In the early 90`s there was alot for free.

They should hold another amnesty, the result will undoubtedly frighten them with the figures out there, and up the penalty for people caught with them. I still know people with legally held boas. I just think there can be another option. I don't breed anything (generally), or usually by accident, so it'd just be sitting in the bottom of one of my tanks - alive.

Actually that is a dumb argument :lol: We’re taking about a living creature that can potentially be taken in by a 3rd party (zoo, sanctuary etc) & most probably without risk to native fauna/fauna – but because there is no option “these days” for a private keeper to take it in, that’s the end of the line for it – what a waste! To compare heroin as an inanimate drug that destroys lives & promotes criminal activity is a real stretch.

International license holders in this country, and I know a few, can keep boas etc in private collections without a problem. It can be regulated and it is regulated. There are strict rules on these license holders. The animals they have were undoubtedly bred in this country & are potentially 10th generation captives.

I am a fox shooter. I have major issues with feral animals in this country. Actually I shoot anything that’s feral. But in Sydney they have the Sydney Fox Rescue program. Foxes are taken in under legal regulation by private individuals. They have to meet x-y-z criteria & the animal is desexed, microchipped & has to be contained in an escape-proof cage/house etc. I think these people are a little misguided in their efforts as there are plenty more native animals that need rescuing, but then I am also compassionate about their goals, as I feel the same thing should happen in regards to confiscated exotic pythons etc. As long as the authorities know where they are (as opposed to not knowing where they are – which is the majority of the time), and they aren’t a venomous species, I don’t see the issue with it. They aren’t finding hundreds a week (but they should be) & I believe there is a more viable result available for the animal.

Ps: no one is out there injecting or snorting snake ;)

A laws a law.
They don't belong here, and the government and most responsible keepers/breeders don't want them here.
Brick them all end of story.

Plenty of dumb laws out there, and what a nice black & white opinion you have ;) ...and well done tossing in the word "responsible" which has nothing to do with it. How about the words "ignorant" and "clueless" bureaucrats who somehow think whilst they are feeding their cat, dog or African ringneck that a confiscated reptile wouldn't be better off going to a regulated private keeper. I suppose you believe in your wisdom that zoos shouldn't have any exotic species either?

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of dumb laws, does anyone still know that you're breaking the law if you change a lightblub & aren't a qualified electrician? You're all bloody crooks! :lol:

"moosenoose" post #21 of this thread, what a great point of view while l am not into these exotics they are here in plague proportions (well almost) lets face the situation rather than sweep it under the carpet like Badesville suggests which gets us to where we are now and for those that have been around a while, was the last amnesty such a bad thing and lets face it where $$$ are concerned ppl will always try to bend the rules. solar 17 ~B~

If the authorities were serious about the problem they would hold another amnesty. One exotic snake every 6 months by pure chance is hardly "law enforcement"

Boas have been in the Geelong area since the early 90's that l am aware of and they had been bred then so there will be a few out there. solar 17 ~B~

You may want to extend that back quite a decade or more.

- - - Updated - - -

Or a tap washer

I can change the washer but I have to get it inspected by a licensed plumber afterwards...

"Peter" l thought after l posted that l should have put "that l was aware" and only after a friend took pics with a Melbourne newspaper in the background. solar 17 ~B~

You may want to extend that back quite a decade or more.

- - - Updated - - -

I can change the washer but I have to get it inspected by a licensed plumber afterwards...

Not anymore as it is part of the potable water supply it can only be worked on by a licensed plumber or an authorised person such as an apprentice being supervised.

I hope those saying 'they shouldnt be here' are vegetarian, actually make that vegan BUT only eat native green stuff. OK that might seem extreme but you cant say something doesnt belong but still have a dog and eat steak :)

I'm not saying, trying to or advocating 'brushing them under the rug'.
I'm all for an amnesty, flushing them out and seeing how many there really are out there.

And bricking the lot of them.

I'd throw in the Indian Ringnecks, The Indian Miners, the Terrapins that appear here and there, the Cane Toads, the foxes, the rabbits.
Burn the lot of 'em, keep this country safe for and proud of the amazing fauna we have.

For me it is black and white, I love where we live and what we have and would do anything I could to preserve it.

Here's a photo of me about ten years ago holding a beautiful Boa in Costa Rica.

attachment.php

This was one of the best experiences of my herp life.
In Costa Rica. Where it belongs.
If I came across this gorgeous beast here, you bet I'd be doing everything I could to find the nearest freezer.

Last edited:
An amnesty is a total waste of time, only a tiny fraction of exotic keepers would come forward. They either don't know they are illegal or don't care.

I'm not saying, trying to or advocating 'brushing them under the rug'.
I'm all for an amnesty, flushing them out and seeing how many there really are out there.

And bricking the lot of them.

I'd throw in the Indian Ringnecks, The Indian Miners, the Terrapins that appear here and there, the Cane Toads, the foxes, the rabbits.
Burn the lot of 'em, keep this country safe for and proud of the amazing fauna we have.

For me it is black and white, I love where we live and what we have and would do anything I could to preserve it.

Here's a photo of me about ten years ago holding a beautiful Boa in Costa Rica.

attachment.php

This was one of the best experiences of my herp life.
In Costa Rica. Where it belongs.
If I came across this gorgeous beast here, you bet I'd be doing everything I could to find the nearest freezer.

Are you going to add cats and dogs to that list or just keep it as it is?
Cats destroy more wildlife in this country than any other feral species including cane toads but we still bring then into the country day after day.

Are you going to add cats and dogs to that list or just keep it as it is?
Cats destroy more wildlife in this country than any other feral species including cane toads but we still bring then into the country day after day.

Yes it's strange some animals are thought of differently, I have to assume he doesnt have a dog or cat or indeed eats beef or pork or lamb, chicken.

An amnesty is a total waste of time, only a tiny fraction of exotic keepers would come forward. They either don't know they are illegal or don't care.

Your right ,the majority of exotic keepers are not interested in amnesties or licensing for that matter .

Maybe they could have a drugs amnesty too ;) I'm sure that'd work.

Pretty hard for a reptile enthusiast to know they're surrendering something "harmless to native wildlife" to get euthanized.

As an interesting comparison, I understand registered snake catchers are obligated to "put down" any exotics they find....and to step it up further: put down any native snakes they cannot relocate within the regulated distances they're allocated. I can bet that most snake relocators are reptile enthusiasts primarily, and their conscience would ensure the latter scenario happens very, very rarely.

So hypothetically If I was handed a boa by someone, the right thing would be to hand it in to get euthanized. Common sense tells me its not doing any damage under my care. Legally I'm up crap creek if I'm caught. The chances of getting caught are slim to zero. I love a risk.

Oh, and I'm not condoning keeping exotics ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back