Thermostats, yes or no?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because you use a thermostat doesnt mean you have to have heat at night. I have all of my thermostats setup on a timer from about 6am - 5:30pm. Also you can get day and night thermostats that have timers built in so they switch automatically between the day time temperature set and the night temperature.

My thermostat is set on timer for the light and certain temperature for the heat lamp

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

You sure you cant change the night heat on it? I know there are some that do what you have described an also change heating for when light goes off.

Rick

yes indeed. For night time heat you can even get light sensing ones that switch between user-set night and day temperatures which i'm planning on getting once my hatchie grows up. For now it's 24-7 heat for the little guy while he's young

Whats a thermostat.?
U know better than to post that mate...;)...u have experience beyond all of the newbies but they r here for your input..(yes I understand the op throws many a thread) considering they have owned snakes for some time...my collection is fully thermostat controlled for the interest of the OP

All of my reps are thermostat controlled. Even my hatchies.

None of my herps heating is controlled by thermostats.

No thermostats with the exception of one enclosure.

I set up my heating so it provides the correct temp without the need for regulating by selecting the appropriate wattage heating device. Adults heating is on a timer so I can regulate the hours per day that the animal is provided with heating (there is no night heating provided for adults)....this time period is reduced during the cooler month to simulate a cooling season, in summer it is longer.

I tried fancy (cheaper) thermostats and found they were not worth the risk with their spontaneous performance - After learning how to set them up with the correct wattages to maintain the correct temps I could not justify the cost of quality thermostats when I was quite capable of doing it myself and eliminate a potential failure point.

I have some with and some without. Mainly my young snakes and my GTP use a thermostat and the rest only run on timers but saying that it is only snakes under 12 months old that get night heat.

When starting out I would suggest a thermostat, it will allow you to focus on the other facets of reptile keeping while you can be sure that they won't freeze or cook.

EDIT: Although I wouldn't recommend relying on them 100% they have been known, on the odd occasion, to fail (more common in the cheaper models). Not that it is a common occurrence it still pays to check them every now and then.

Last edited:
Ive lost count of how many times over the years that people I know of have cooked animals thru thermostats malfunctioning, its more common than you think.

I did........and I was using a brand that was suppose to be all the rave. Not used one for seven years and no problems since.
Ive lost count of how many times over the years that people I know of have cooked animals thru thermostats malfunctioning, its more common than you think.

Yep.....almost did myself. I learnt, almost the hard why my mentor recommended that I set up my enclosures with the correct amount of heating required and no more. I have enclosures with as little as 20 watts of heating now......I shudder when I see 100 and 150w heat lamps connected to thermostats in similar sized enclosures - the animals will be fried if it ever malfunctions ....and they do regularly, particularly some of the cheaper chinese ones that appear popular as the moment.

It is not hard at all to set up an enclosure this way.......all you need are a 2 or 3 different wattage globes, and thermometer, and 10 minutes over 3 days.

I use them cause I'm a tight butt and would rather use less electricity. Dimming thermostats are great and extend the life of your globes/CHE too. Get two wired in series and they will last years!
Perth also has large fluctuations in ambient temp. 7 degrees to 28 isn't uncommon. So using a heat source that can get the desired temp is just a basic. That said the thermostats I use are fail safe. They turn off if they fail. Most new thermostats are like that. I'm an electrical designer and fail safe is a typical design feature for most things these days.
Some of the old crusty members were around before electricity. So naturally they don't trust the automated control of it hahaha :) Step into 2014 heat panels and modern thermostats are a brilliant way to control thermal gradients.

I use them cause I'm a tight butt and would rather use less electricity. Dimming thermostats are great and extend the life of your globes/CHE too. Get two wired in series and they will last years!
Perth also has large fluctuations in ambient temp. 7 degrees to 28 isn't uncommon. So using a heat source that can get the desired temp is just a basic. That said the thermostats I use are fail safe. They turn off if they fail. Most new thermostats are like that. I'm an electrical designer and fail safe is a typical design feature for most things these days.
Some of the old crusty members were around before electricity. So naturally they don't trust the automated control of it hahaha :) Step into 2014 heat panels and modern thermostats are a brilliant way to control thermal gradients.

Was going to say if they can do it with heat panels why not thermostats.

Dimming and pulse proportional thermostats are great, use less power and allow for ambient room temperature fluctuation.

Not everyone has temperature controlled rooms so thermostats have become essential to providing the correct temperatures for their reptiles.

I use thermostats for my incubator and heat cords. I dont use them for basking lamps as i select the correct wattage to suit the species.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back