Pied bearded dragon!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
attachment.php

That defect had to occur by chance somewhere to start it all.

Of course but we don't line breed with humans to reproduce defects like we do with animals so your comparison is sort of invalid.

Last edited:
Of course but we don't line breed with humans to reproduce defects like we routinely do with animals so your comparison is sort of invalid.

Thats more due to the difference between reptilian and mammalian dna then anything else.
As humans we dont discourage people with genetic abnormalities to not have kids, alot of diseases are genetic but we dont take there "right" to have children away from them.
imagine if we only let smart people have kids we may have flying cars already but instead we have "the bogan hunters" as a tv show...

Thats more due to the difference between reptilian and mammalian dna then anything else.
As humans we dont discourage people with genetic abnormalities to not have kids, alot of diseases are genetic but we dont take there "right" to have children away from them.
imagine if we only let smart people have kids we may have flying cars already but instead we have "the bogan hunters" as a tv show...

Yes, we don't discourage it, the irony is we encourage it where domestic/captive animals are concerned. I'm not arguing one way or another, merely pointing out how pitting a defective human against a defective animal makes for a weak argument.

Last edited:
I was actually weary of posting this because I wasn't sure if lizards bred to have specific colour traits were affected the same way as animals such as snakes are. Some of this breeders lizards do look a little strange, with their big eyes etc. Sorry if it offended anyone! I just thought it was a nice lizard & wanted to share with like minded people. I do however agree that comparing a human with a certain genetic mutation & an animal really doesn't make for a good argument.

I've been watching bloodbank over the last few years, they've always had mad dragons. While I am personally not a fan of silk and leather backs I can certainly appreciate the rarity and beauty in this animal

Yes, we don't discourage it, the irony is we encourage it where domestic/captive animals are concerned. I'm not arguing one way or another, merely pointing out how pitting a defective human against a defective animal makes for a weak argument.

Also, not trying to merely argue here but; who's to say its a defect? Just because humans see it as a negative doesn't mean it is. When the ice age hits I dare say all the pied and albino animalia might just have one up on us...

- - - Updated - - -

This would be something I'd call an ideal world...

But who's to say its not evolution?

We're talking about intensively farmed reptiles selected for unnatural colouring & you use the word evolution? Yes, I'm sure evolution has a grand plan to turn Beardies into rainbows because they're better suited to captive living than their natural counterparts.

Last edited:
We're talking about intensively farmed reptiles selected for unnatural colouring & you use the word evolution? Yes, I'm sure evolution has a grand plan to turn Beardies into rainbows because they're better suited to captive living than their natural counterparts.

Entirely not talking about selective bred Beardies, try to follow the conversation you're a part of...

Also, not trying to merely argue here but; who's to say its a defect? Just because humans see it as a negative doesn't mean it is. When the ice age hits I dare say all the pied and albino animalia might just have one up on us...

I dare say it would be the opposite unless we grew fur

given most animals id assume your referring to being white in cold climate covered in snow, their skin is generally not white its black, in this case a bearded dragon is an ectotherm and being white would do it no favors at all (usually the reason cold climate ectotherms are dark pigmented like a red belly as opposed to a mulga) given that avenue of thermal regulation its a strange comment to make on a bearded dragon thread but none the less even endothermic animals would suffer in a snow environment in the case their albino, 1 they would feel the cold more even on a sunny day , 2 generally with albinism their eyes are terribly sensitive and in a glared landscape like the snow fields they would have trouble seeing and along with that would come sunburn from exposure and a lack of melanin

Last edited:
given most animals id assume your referring to being white in cold climate covered in snow, their skin is generally not white its black, in this case a bearded dragon is an ectotherm and being white would do it no favors at all (usually the reason cold climate ectotherms are dark pigmented like a red belly as opposed to a mulga) given that avenue of thermal regulation its a strange comment to make on a bearded dragon thread but none the less even endothermic animals would suffer in a snow environment in the case their albino, 1 they would feel the cold more even on a sunny day , 2 generally with albinism their eyes are terribly sensitive and in a glared landscape like the snow fields they would have trouble seeing and along with that would come sunburn from exposure and a lack of melanin

yeahhhh... I stopped talking about Beardies - and reality - a while back...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back