Name suggestions for a National Reptile body

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Australian Reptile Keepers Association (ARKA) would be my pick also. In a way it relates in two ways:

Australian Reptile.....Keepers Association and Australian Reptile Keepers Association. The first being that it kind of reflects the current restrictions in Australia - no exotics.

Somebody on the other thread (sorry I don't know who - without looking at squillions of posts) suggested Australian Association of Reptile Keepers. This has a few advantages,

1. it states that it is national, not a state or territory group of which there are a number - but there can only be one national body. 2. It also hints to the old biblical concept of an ARK saving animals from destruction, and finally 3. the double AA in AARK could be useful in giving natural prominence in search engine search results.

Just saying!

Good points on that.

I haven't read through the entirety of the other thread (obviously it reflects the interest as it is about 2-3wks old with over 7000 views and 178 replies - a hot topic indeed).

I am sure whichever name is chosen it will reflect the mission perfectly :)

Picking a name is a very logical step and actually needs to be done in the early stages. There are not many that don't want to see this though a few are sceptical that it will be beneficial or have the desired outcome.

I agree with keeping it short and easy, ARA or ARKA will do fine.

Last edited:
OzARK - Oz Association of Reptile Keepers. With a sister link to USARK is a great idea. Jamie do you mind if the support page on Facebook implements this name?

Maximising member numbers equates to maximising association political power so any assciation should aim to include the masses weather they "keep" reptiles or not!

@Jacknife, you are the first person I have seen on the forums be so against this. People I've spoken to have been quite positive and keen to help where they can to get this representation going.

There are many aspects to an organisation like this that will benefit the hobby as a whole.
Go have a read of Slickturtles' posts and see what he's put together.
Even if you don't like some of the points, I am sure that there is a few that you know would benefit your hobby.

I honestly don't know why there is such division and bitching in this hobby here.

Thanks,
Shaun.

I am so ridiculously not against this. I'm all for it. I'm simply pointing out that many people here are jumping the gun and running like a freight train in the complete wrong direction.
I've read all of Gavin's posts and even he has stated that things like names are still a long ways down the line.
I don't have the wherewithal to put this together, people like him do. They're the people who should be doing the talking on points like mission statements, names, constitutions, articles, websites ect., not people like the ones here who are...

You beat me to it jacknife but I may as well post what I had written anyway...

The methodology jacknife put forward in Post #9 is not something he has invented. It is the widely accepted manner in which to best go about the formation of a new organisation. His attempts to explain the ratonale for this have been misconstrued. He has clearly stated and reaffirmed his support for the concept organisation and is only articulating concerns about how it its formation is gone about. In no way does this indicate a negative attitude towards the organisation to be formed. If you stop and think about it, his voicing concerns are just the opposite. Clearly he wants to see it suceed and is offerring advice as to how that might be best achieved. That advice, which I wholly agree with, is based on the collective wisdom of those who have been successful in the past.

By going about it differently, the organisation may still get up and running but it definitely reduces the likelihood of ultimate success. There are many good reasons for adopting the methodolgy outlined in Post #9 . Unfortunately they are not readily explained in a couple of lines (and my attempt at analogy didn't work). Believe me when I say it makes very good sense.

I am sorry you have been the lone voice of reason jacknife. What you have stated makes perfect sense to me.

Blue

At least one person can see where I'm coming from [MENTION=20726]Bluetongue1[/MENTION].

OzARK - Oz Association of Reptile Keepers. With a sister link to USARK is a great idea. Jamie do you mind if the support page on Facebook implements this name?

By all means chimerapro, spread the word! I do think that OzARK would be a good choice for the reasons already outlined, the link to a large and already well experienced group could be hugely beneficial to us - it may save us from having to reinvent a few wheels as we progress, and many of USARK's supporters are already public figures who are great communicators and share and understand our concerns..

I agree that Jacknife is on the money with his outline of process, but the prospect of doing all of that from a base of APS or even Facebook is nil - never has the truism of "too many cooks" been more true than here. An association will only get its feet on the ground if a few individuals bite bullet and just do it, regardless of the continuing debate and background chatter, otherwise the discussion will just go on & on... & on... We need to face that fact that there will never be any real consensus between reptile keepers, because their needs from state to state vary so much, their individual backgrounds and aspirations are hugely variable, and because only a few keepers think beyond their own collections these days. Gone are the times when those keeping reptiles had any real connection with the bush, and thus an overview of issues beyond their pet's enclosure - as far as reptile keeping goes these days, it's a free-for-all. That's not to say that their needs shouldn't be met, but I'd hazard a guess that most reptile keepers in this country view reptile keeping through a much smaller window than say Gavin or Greg or me because we have been steeped in the notions of wildlife from bush to enclosure...

Jamie

wildlife from bush to enclosure...

Hey Jamie that deserves a thread all on its own

Cheers
Sandee :)

Hey Jamie that deserves a thread all on its own

Cheers

Ha Sandee! Funny how things look a bit different when you revisit them :)! I realise that what I said could be taken in a few different ways... but what I meant was... most of our lives have been spent swinging between the observations of herps in the wild and the experience of keeping them in captivity... and yes, 50 years ago it was a matter of "from bush to enclosure..." :)!

Jamie

My take on this is that we should all be aware of the pioneers in Herpetology and be respectful of their achievements

for without their enthusiasm and interest we may or may not have the privlege of keeping reptiles today

Cheers

By all means chimerapro, spread the word! I do think that OzARK would be a good choice for the reasons already outlined, the link to a large and already well experienced group could be hugely beneficial to us - it may save us from having to reinvent a few wheels as we progress, and many of USARK's supporters are already public figures who are great communicators and share and understand our concerns..

I agree that Jacknife is on the money with his outline of process, but the prospect of doing all of that from a base of APS or even Facebook is nil - never has the truism of "too many cooks" been more true than here. An association will only get its feet on the ground if a few individuals bite bullet and just do it, regardless of the continuing debate and background chatter, otherwise the discussion will just go on & on... & on... We need to face that fact that there will never be any real consensus between reptile keepers, because their needs from state to state vary so much, their individual backgrounds and aspirations are hugely variable, and because only a few keepers think beyond their own collections these days. Gone are the times when those keeping reptiles had any real connection with the bush, and thus an overview of issues beyond their pet's enclosure - as far as reptile keeping goes these days, it's a free-for-all. That's not to say that their needs shouldn't be met, but I'd hazard a guess that most reptile keepers in this country view reptile keeping through a much smaller window than say Gavin or Greg or me because we have been steeped in the notions of wildlife from bush to enclosure...

Jamie

That is assuming USARK would agree to it. They would need to be contacted to approve any form of affiliation or this would all be slapped down with a mighty lawsuit I guarantee.
Just one of the miriad of hurdles 99% of people wouldn't think of to getting this going.

Also Jaimee you pretty much reiterated my whole point. Using APS or FB as a base to begin is entirely futile.
It needs to be in the hands of a select few very experienced individuals to be done properly.

Hi all

What a great discussion. Gavin and I want to thank you for your interest. He and I are both writing this post.

We are well aware of the procedures required to set up a formal association. So we agree totally with Bluetonge1 and Jackknife. But to “just do it” as Jamie says is a bit tricky for us at this place and time - but we will get there.

We are just two people teetering on the northern edge of the continent - well away from where you all are. But we have a plan - if you will bear with us.

Apart from putting ‘out there’ all of the concepts in a sort of draft overview (as Greg has been doing with his posts) we are setting up a web site to be the hub of attention for our group (whatever name it might have).

We can do this with donations coming Jamie and we two, as well as from a couple of keen supporters amongst your ranks. But mainly this will be possible due to a generous offer made by a professional web designer in Sydney – who is also on this forum.

This web site will carry all of the developmental material needed to go the next step to create the formal body. It is hoped that the web site will draw in key people from around the nation. It will also be the vehicle to disseminate the developments as they happen. This forum is good, as is FaceBook, but the web site will be much more specific to our aims and will be much more dense - in terms of the quality, variety and quantity of information that we can lay before you.

Rome wasn’t built in a day, and there is no ‘use by date’ on this task. So hang in there and stay with us – please!

Gavin and Greg

That is assuming USARK would agree to it. They would need to be contacted to approve any form of affiliation or this would all be slapped down with a mighty lawsuit I guarantee.
Just one of the miriad of hurdles 99% of people wouldn't think of to getting this going.

Also Jaimee you pretty much reiterated my whole point. Using APS or FB as a base to begin is entirely futile.
It needs to be in the hands of a select few very experienced individuals to be done properly.

I'm pretty sure that an affiliation had been considered positively, in principle, some time ago, contingent of course on the shape of the Australian organisation once it has been more defined.

Jamie

Yes Jamie,

An affiliation to AUSARK was approved in 2010 when Andrew Wyatt was still in charge of USARK.

Ah thanks mate - I thought it had been given the conditional thumbs up some time ago...

Jamie

They were willing for us to modify all their official documentation, mission statements etc. to be in an Australian format. I even have the official logo somewhere.

I hope this body can become a reality at some stage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back