Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Future Mrs/Mr Treasurer, I like to make a $500 donation.

Because I believe in in this and I'm excited. Like when you go to the airport to pick up your new python excited.

as constructive as I can get, thank.

Leigh

Because I believe in in this and I'm excited. Like when you go to the airport to pick up your new python excited.

Leigh

Gosh Leigh, You know how to write beautiful words - don't you! LOL

Your post is very uplifting indeed. We are not quite at the point of receiving money yet. As you point out, the Treasurer is not yet known, nor are any other committee members.

But having a current bank balance of $0.00 sure makes getting anything off the ground tricky. Putting the cart before the horse is one of our problems - hang on - its the horse before the cart isn't it!

Thank you - and hang on to that promise!

Without being incorporated, any donations are possibly more at risk of misappropriation.

That being said, when the website for this new entity is up and running and if it's not incorporated at that time, some sort of donation facility could be extremely beneficial.
If donors are willing to risk their money, you might as well take it. PayPal or similar might be an option.

I think you guys will be surprised by the actions of the silent majority.

If I can assist in providing details or steps on registering an incorporated society (particularly in the NT), please let me know via PM. Steps involved are not overly complicated however the little details decided now matter later when approaching Federal Government.

Leigh
Good on you Leigh! That's putting your money where your mouth is.
This sort of support is vital if this initiative is going to succeed.

I have great faith that the right people are leading this venture. Such experienced and well-respected herps such as Greg, Gavin and Jamie are ideal ambassadors and seasoned campaigners used to dealing with bureaucrats.
It's critical that the broader herp community get behind this initiative and give it the support that it needs to get off the ground and be an effective voice for all of us. We cannot afford to be complacent about our current rights and privileges, as there are forces at work that will readily take them away.

Hi all

This is my last post offering an overview of what a national body might look like. With this one - as for the last few, please note that what I am proposing would or should impinge on the activities of the state and territory associations. A national body would be a close ally to and supporter of state based associations. So if you see what appears to be duplication in what I am laying out - don't worry about that as this is purely draft, or conceptual at this stage.Now, about:
Use of the media

• A national body would be in an ideal position to form a link with media outlets to become an organisation that they go to, for opinion on relevant issues in the press. Media (radio, TV and newspapers) like to have good ‘talent’ on tap who they can call. By representing a national body, our spokespersons would be seen by the media as having expertise and authority to speak. They would automatically contact that person as issues arise. I am not sure that any such person or organisation has this role at present.
  • Provide a first point of contact for media inquiries into issues of our concern. IE we could speak to the media when a German backpacker is busted for trying to get a couple of shinglebacks out of Australia at Perth airport.
  • Being a national body with PR reps in each state could mean that we could become a ‘one stop shop’ for the media. All PR reps would be briefed on our policy positions on the full gamut of ‘difficult’ issues.
  • It would be excellent if we could then use direct media input, not only to correct the nonsense that often comes out at the moment, but also plug away at our central messages – i.e.:
* not all reptile keepers are crooks,
* most reptiles thrive in captivity,
* of all the vertebrates, reptiles (along with fish and frogs) are amongst those least likely to suffer from being in captivity - if housed correctly.
* reptiles are cheap and easy to house well, compared to cats, dogs, other mammals and birds.
* increasingly, many native animal species (including reptiles) are not necessarily safe in the wild,
* many of the wildlife control laws in this country are illogical and some even pose a threat to endangered reptiles,
* much of the illegal export of Australian reptiles is a result of illogical Federal
Government laws and policies
* Australia is missing out on valuable export dollars because of these illogical laws. Only the
poachers and traffickers are making money from reptile exports at the moment.
* the private sector is often more capable of caring for endangered species than Governments departments.
* Reptile keepers can have an important role in conservation of reptiles - if only they were permitted to.
* Approximately 60% of what we know about Australian reptiles has come from keepers and others in the private sector. Etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi all

What a great discussion. Gavin and I want to thank you for your interest. He and I are both writing this post.

We are well aware of the procedures required to set up a formal association. So we agree totally with Bluetonge1 and Jackknife. But to “just do it” as Jamie says is a bit tricky for us at this place and time - but we will get there.

We are just two people teetering on the northern edge of the continent - well away from where you all are. But we have a plan - if you will bear with us.

Apart from putting ‘out there’ all of the concepts in a sort of draft overview (as Greg has been doing with his posts) we are setting up a web site to be the hub of attention for our group (whatever name it might have).

We can do this with donations coming Jamie and we two, as well as from a couple of keen supporters amongst your ranks. But mainly this will be possible due to a generous offer made by a professional web designer in Sydney – who is also on this forum.

This web site will carry all of the developmental material needed to go the next step to create the formal body. It is hoped that the web site will draw in key people from around the nation. It will also be the vehicle to disseminate the developments as they happen. This forum is good, as is FaceBook, but the web site will be much more specific to our aims and will be much more dense - in terms of the quality, variety and quantity of information that we can lay before you.

Rome wasn’t built in a day, and there is no ‘use by date’ on this task. So hang in there and stay with us – please!

Gavin and Greg

- - - Updated - - -

Yikes - I just discovered this in my previous post. "Please note that what I am proposing would or should impinge on the activities of the state and territory associations."

It should have read:
"Please note that what I am proposing would not or should not impinge on the activities of the state and territory associations."

What a difference a word makes. Lucky no one reads these things! LOL.

Just a quick post to see how this is progressing and to also bump the thread up to keep it in view ;)

Cheers
Shaun.

Over the weekend I attended Reptecon for the first time. The impression I got was that it would be the perfect platform to incorporate/link the National body to.

The entire event puts all profits towards Wildcare Australia (http://wildcare.org.au/) and also gets all levels of government involved.

I see a national body not just being its own thing, but interconnecting all existing shows/events into one entity with a common central goal. Otherwise the national body will become another entity with its own agenda. As far as governments go, they much prefer to interact with a single entity with common goals than several with their own agendas.

Over the weekend I attended Reptecon for the first time. The impression I got was that it would be the perfect platform to incorporate/link the National body to.

The entire event puts all profits towards Wildcare Australia (http://wildcare.org.au/) and also gets all levels of government involved.

I see a national body not just being its own thing, but interconnecting all existing shows/events into one entity with a common central goal. Otherwise the national body will become another entity with its own agenda. As far as governments go, they much prefer to interact with a single entity with common goals than several with their own agendas.

Reptecon is a good thing I reckon. They are trail blazers in many ways and good luck to them. I note that they had a very good line up of speakers this year.

Re your last para: You are spot on. A national body could not/should not exist - except hand in glove with state associations and organisations. I would hope that each state association would have a committee member who keeps in touch with the federal body and reports back to the association on issues of mutual interest.

Cheers

Slick

- - - Updated - - -

Just a quick post to see how this is progressing and to also bump the thread up to keep it in view ;)

Cheers
Shaun.

Hi Shaun

I think that Gavin is going to contact you soon. If you could PM me I can tell you what's cooking. Cheers

Slick

Re your last para: You are spot on. A national body could not/should not exist - except hand in glove with state associations and organisations. I would hope that each state association would have a committee member who keeps in touch with the federal body and reports back to the association on issues of mutual interest.

Maybe it would be a good time of year to get in touch with all the societies and clubs to get them to nominate a member for representation seeing as though July is the usual month for those Annual General Meetings?

Cheers
Shaun.

Last edited:
I've just read through all this and I'm excited to see the new lot of enthusiasm for this endeavour. As always, even though I no longer publish a magazine, you can count on my help in any way that I can.
Cheers,
Joy

Maybe it would be a good time of year to get in touch with all the societies and clubs to get them to nominate a member for representation seeing as though July is the usual month for those Annual General Meetings?

Cheers
Shaun.

This I think is by far and away the best way to try and kick things off.Having elected representatives coming from the various herp societies around the country would start things off on the right foot.

Get a charter written up,kick it around all the societies and see if it creates a ground swell.

<<<<, is now the El Presidente of SOFAR....... how I got dirked,I don't know...... but if you want anything told to the members,shoot me a line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back