Liasis Enclosure Thread

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Varanoidea

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Starting this thread as a showcase/advice thread for my custom enclosure I'm building for my olive boy. Will post pics/ask advice as I continue working on it with my dad. Only have the chance to work on it on weekends as I juggle two jobs through the week. It is a corner enclosure with a base made out of structural pine with porta panels as walls, which brings me to my first question: The structural pine is internally treated for termites while the porta panels aren't. He will have a melamine floor coated with crommelins and up the panel walls so he won't be coming into contact with the structural pine. Shouldn't do him any harm should it?

Being a corner enclosure it has a few dimensions:

h6O17Fd.jpg

The two back lengths which will be on the wall are 1850 each, while the pieces that come out to connect to the diagonal are 750. Not sure about the length of the diagonal. I will be making the enclosure 1500 high. This is just the internal space and doesn't include the wall thickness/lighting hood on top. I would have liked to make it even bigger but this is the largest I can do within the house. Should still be plenty big enough though, right? :p

I am very keen to see where this is going. I can't give you any advice, and I have no experience as of yet apart from click cracks. However, I plan to build an enclosure this year to suit a grown Bredli or Rough Scale (still deciding on which one we will purchase first).

But get a move on with this build! I want to see it complete!

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Plenty big enough mate, should be able to get a good few branches in there for him too.what are you going to do for the doors?

Plenty big enough mate, should be able to get a good few branches in there for him too.what are you going to do for the doors?

Probably hinge some Perspex onto the front. Glass would be a bit heavy and expensive.

Probably hinge some Perspex onto the front. Glass would be a bit heavy and expensive.

With the doors correctly hinged and hung, weight will not be an issue. Shop around for a price, for something that size you'd easily pick up glass for under $150.
Perspex is good for weight and cost, but it's downsides are it flexes, scratches easily, and clouds up when exposed to UV.
Glass is always a much better option.

With the doors correctly hinged and hung, weight will not be an issue. Shop around for a price, for something that size you'd easily pick up glass for under $150.
Perspex is good for weight and cost, but it's downsides are it flexes, scratches easily, and clouds up when exposed to UV.
Glass is always a much better option.

It also absorbs moisture which causes it to bow and warp.

Glass would last longer and look clearer. Could always install a second hand glass sliding door (suit back door of house style), could probably pick one up cheaply that may suit.

Rick

Almost finished the structure of the base, just gotta add some vertical supports along the braces. Will be starting to dress it up with some porta panels tomorrow, more pics soon.

U1beC5n.jpg

No idea what I'm going to do for the background on the walls. Not game enough to try a DIY fake rock on this scale.

Just go for the DIY fake rock wall for the background! If you do it separately, you can always redo it and it would be unique and a lot more satisfying!

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Universal rocks do a few designs, i know its pricey though if that is a factor. You could render the walls flat and paint them or get a landscape printed by a sign company and put it on there.

Rick

Universal rocks do a few designs, i know its pricey though if that is a factor. You could render the walls flat and paint them or get a landscape printed by a sign company and put it on there.

Rick

Only
Problem with universal rocks is that all their designs are brown in colour. I want to go for a red Kimberley region rock outcrop look.

Bit of an update:

Got the base in place in the loungeroom:

Qdns0Mw.jpg

Starting to build the cabinet on the base:

tD4ICmS.jpg

Still wish I could have made it bigger.

Another pic with the other wall on + my handsome face.

kwJPQSb.jpg

Not too sure on heating. Originally I was going to just place a large heat tile in one corner of the enclosure as heat but now I'm tossing up a platform, rock ledge type basking spot right up in the back corner underneath a panel or CHE up the top. He is overweight and needs a bit of exercise so I figure making him go up there to bask will help. Ambient temp will be the only problem but if it gets too cold we have a combustion heater and get wood for free from a tree cutter mate. The other seasons shouldn't be a problem.

Every post I'm going to say: Still wish I could have made it bigger.

Last edited:
The size is very large. I doubt it will fit through a standard door if you want to remove it. Corner cabiets can be unbalanced and front heavy particularly when the doors are open, so you may wish to secure it to the house wall.

The size is very large. I doubt it will fit through a standard door if you want to remove it. Corner cabiets can be unbalanced and front heavy particularly when the doors are open, so you may wish to secure it to the house wall.

Not a chance on this fine earth of fitting it through a door without dismantling it. Thanks for the weight advice, will take it into consideration.

Looks good.
Why didn't you utilise the full hight of the room?

Just wondering how that cage is coming along

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Not alot since my last post, my dog has been diagnosed with cancer so me and my family are quite occupied with that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back